Teamer games: how to prevent IA team mates to build "unique" buildings

Lgaard

King
Hi,

I found my IA team mates to start building World Wonders and Heroes as soon as a new technology is found. It means that they are always first before I even can put it into the building queue. I find it annoying not being able to build the most valuable units/buildings.
Are there any clever ways to prevent them doing so?

What I used to do would ask my teammate to change his current research to something else the turn before you both complete it. Example - You want to build Sphener so one turn before you both complete the required tech ask them to switch to something else. This way you are the one who completes the tech and gets dibs if you want to build it before your team does. Otherwise, it is a toss-up to who researches it first and gets the chance to build it first.

Well, thanks, that seems feasible. But... how to force IT team-mates to change research? From main diplomacy menu?
Now it looks as I am a noob.

Yeah from the diplo screen, choose the "And something else . . ." option and then "We would like you to research . . ." then they should change.

i always thought your research finishes at the end of your turn, not at the beginning? I usually just stop researching the tech 1 turn before it's completed, wait for the AI to finish the research, and then i build the wonder / hero. Could be just plain luck though

Telling him to research something else certainly works for founding religions.
For wonders and heroes, I don't see what's preventing your team-mate from building them: he still gets the techs on the same turn as you, doesn't he?

There should probably be team-mate discussions available for why don't you build / stop building this or that, or even better: why don't you send your troops to this spot (using the sonar thing to show him where, or maybe having a list of your labels as potential locations).

I remember having trouble getting my ally to change religions in the trade screen. Does the get religion / get civic trade option work with permanent allies?

You need to finish the tech yourself and one of your cities finish building something on the same turn. Then when you get the "what do you want to build" popup you can add it to the queue. By the time you can move your troops the AI has had a chance to build it.

If you don't want to build it now, but later, just add it to a queue and make sure it's not the first item. As long as it's in a queue it shouldn't be possible for the AI to start.

You need to finish the tech yourself and one of your cities finish building something on the same turn. Then when you get the "what do you want to build" popup you can add it to the queue. By the time you can move your troops the AI has had a chance to build it.

Sorry, but it didn't work. IA is still before me...

It would be nice if the game would simply let teams compete. Most players teaming up with players are going to be communicating enough that this wouldn't cause trouble. When teamed with an AI, you can have a city prepped and ready start and finish construction before your ally can.
This would, theoretically, be the simplest solution. You could still get beaten to a unit by an AI ally, but at least you had something of a chance then.

In later game it is not a question of being prepared. If each ally has several cities, practically each is prepared.
In my game (I am playing the scenario with elven courts) I was planning to make a final confronatation with Svalalfar using Yvain and druids. I have collected a LOT of nature mana, and was waiting for "Commune with nature", and after it being completed I cannot have a hero. I bet IA would make ill use of this unit, even if I had given them all this mana.
So, druids have to do the work by themselves...

Top Bottom