Tear down this wall

Jethro_82

Chieftain
Okay - I've adopted the freedom ideology, set it as the world ideology, have over 100% influence over the english, who have run order - and have them at Revolution waves. Also their net unhappiness is negative(only negative five, but negative none the less). None of the wonderful things that are promised are happening, no city flipping, no revolution. I've never played a game where a civ has flipped culture ideology or a civ5 game where city flipping has happened - what am I missing?

Patience. Nothing but patience. It takes time, and still may never happen if the AI can scrape together enough happiness and/or culture.

One game I flipped two civs. It depends on the relative strength. If you can get the other civs to be very unhappy, like by depriving them of resources, they might switch sooner. Look at the happiness overview you get in the culture screen to see how close you are to pressing them to flip.

I flipped a CIV once in about 5 games. It was a nice surprise, well kind of. My Country of England was right next to some other Civ and one of their cities revolted to join mine. I didn`t even expect it. I say it was kind of a nice surprised since it dropped the happiness of my Empire... :(

It`s rare as it should be.

Also remember that once a civ flipps you no longer weigh down on their happiness so they are potentially better off, depending on the tenets they adopt. So it's not always a good thing.

They need to have very low happiness to flip. Below -20, cities will start flipping, however they might decide a revolution and join the dominant ideology and in that case, no cities will flip. If you were selling lux to that civ, then just DoW will cancel deal, sever all their happiness source from my CS, and in many cases that will take it below -20 in my experience.

I have this horrible habit of making my learning curve longer by not reading anything. So I was pretty puzzled when the game was asking me if I wanted to annex or puppet the Chinese city that rebelled to join my Empire first time it happened. Only time actually. Wasn't a good city unfortunately. Bunch of ice tiles. In hindsight should have just sold it quickly.

How to get Tear Down this Wall with a high degree of certainty:

1) Make sure you are dominant over a order civilisation with low happiness. Warmonger civs usually are good candidates. I managed to flip Germany.
2) Get Freedom as World Ideology
3) Capture 3-6 cities/city states that does not belong to the civ you want to revolt. Do this quickly with stealth bombers and X-COM.
4) Once you capture these cities, give them all in one turn to the civ you want to flip. Watch their unhappiness shoot through the roof to around -50.

The next turn they should revolt to quickly decrease their unhappiness.
Enjoy!

Yeah, that. Sell the civ a whole bunch of cities at once (even if it's for free or very little). Getting World Ideology in congress to pass is important, but I didn't find that tourism was so important. When the cities are large, they go into revolt for awhile anyway, so they are worse than useless to him. And then you can DoW that guy, because he can't fight. Unhappiness penalty. :D

I was shocked the first time I saw culture flipping. I flipped a size 29 city that wasn't on my border.

I tried freedom on deity once and the rest of the AI outnumbered my xbows once. Other civilizations also had freedom but a neighbor had order and came after me. Even oligarchy couldn't stop them.

Top Bottom