[R&F] Tease for tomorrow's First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was less a statement of intent and more Firaxis trying to scrounge up famous admirals from different cultures and connect a retirement ability to them with the mechanics that were available in Vanilla. Just like replacing a City-State later on, Yi Sun-Sin's ability shouldn't preclude Turtle Ships.
I don't think the Hermit kingdom needs a naval unit that could challenge the Jong or aggressively bother Japan.
What Korea needs is a Hero. And that hero is Yi sun Sin riding an ironclad.

I'm so excited! Not that it took Seondeok level insight, but my (and many others') prediction seems to be correct. :D Since Silla predates the time when flags were a thing and Norway and Indonesia have stolen Korea's colors, I wouldn't mind seeing Seondeok given the Joseon royal flag colors of amber-on-raspberry.

To me, her perceptiveness takes different aspects in different anecdotes.

In the frog story, She probably had spies or scouts that detected her enemies, but she put it on the superstitious thing about frogs so as not to reveal them. She might get a bonus to sight in recon units or her borders, or a bonus to espionage.

In the flower story, that's more about science. She made an astute observation. It could imply a science bonus.

The kite story shows that she is shrewd and knows how to manipulate her enemies. It could imply a tactical bonus.
Like I said before, Seondeok was such a versatile leader that she has a lot of options for what kind of LUA she could bring to the table.

It IS Seondeok because the coastline depicted isn't just that of the Korean peninsula it also represents the part of Korea where the Kingdom of Silla was located. It makes perfectly sense.

My mom's favourite flower is the peony; that's definitely a peony in the trailer, if there were any doubts left.

As for the creature in the trailer, it could be a frog because during the metamorphosis from tadpole to frog, the tail is the last thing which vanishes. Although my first, instinctive thought was a "Kappa", a creature from Japanese myths. Maybe it's some obscure reference to the turtle ship? idk.

Attachments

• History_of_Korea-576.png
    History_of_Korea-576.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 195
So do we think Korea will use China's architecture, Japan's architecture, or have its own?
Korea would probably use Japans architecture. In fact, I believe the East Asian city shown to us in the screenshots to have been Korea.
Spoiler Potential Korea Screenshot :

Im looking forward to the Korea theme. Firaxis has done amazing recently with Khmer and Indonesia so I hope that doesn't end.

Now if I was a vampire would I always sleep through these announcements ...

To me, her perceptiveness takes different aspects in different anecdotes.

In the frog story, She probably had spies or scouts that detected her enemies, but she put it on the superstitious thing about frogs so as not to reveal them. She might get a bonus to sight in recon units or her borders, or a bonus to espionage.

In the flower story, that's more about science. She made an astute observation. It could imply a science bonus.

The kite story shows that she is shrewd and knows how to manipulate her enemies. It could imply a tactical bonus.

In a sort of similar way how Gitarja's Goddess of the Three World ability has 3 components, I will now wildly speculate on how her leader's ability might work:

Frog fish monster thing: Reconnaissance units receive +1 sight (like settlers) or +2 for ridiculousness and/or can see through forests/jungle.
Flower: Campuses receive standard adjacency bonus from forests/jungles.
Burning star kite-flying: Cities loses less loyalty during a Dark Age.

This way, you can see enemies coming through all those woods you've got surrounding your campuses, and with more resilience to loyalty loss, Korea can fend off threats from within and without.

I woke up with already 6 pages of Korea confirmed.
I might as well be @bite 's vampire assistant.

Looking back at some of the comments about that unique monument structure, is it possible that it is a Korean unique building replacing a monument that could provide a small amount of science aside from culture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back at some of the comments about that unique monument structure, is it possible that it is a Korean unique building replacing a monument that could provide a small amount of science aside from culture?
Possible, yes. But probably a weird choice. I'd rather give a science monument to an actual ancient science civ. :p

Also, the palace is Japanese.

Possible, yes. But probably a weird choice. I'd rather give a science monument to an actual ancient science civ. :p

Also, the palace is Japanese.

Yes... the palace is Japanese but it's also possible that Korean palace shares that style? I dunno. Hopefully I was wrong.

Those were actual stone Buddhist pagodas found in Korea, so if they did I would presume it would give faith rather than science. However I think it is a new regional architecture given to all East Asian Civs and they based it off of a Korean structure.

Here's the structure I believe found throughout Korea.

I'm sure Bite will appreciate your help. Without you we'd be in "all genius and
no hunchback" mode for the next few weeks. :)

If they want to focus Korea on the Silla kingdom the way that Indonesia is focused on the Majapahit empire, then the Hwarang stand a good chance of being the UU rather than the Hwacha or Turtle Ship.

If they want to focus Korea on the Silla kingdom the way that Indonesia is focused on the Majapahit empire, then the Hwarang stand a good chance of being the UU rather than the Hwacha or Turtle Ship.
True but I guess we'll see. Everything about Germany was medieval until the U-Boat showed up.:p

Am I the only one who thinks vampirism is going viral? :shifty:

Now if I was a vampire would I always sleep through these announcements ...

Vampires don’t necessarily say they are vampires straightforwardly.

Enough about that. So, it’s pretty much a consensus that Korea will be announced tomorrow, right? For some reason I feel that it will have some delicious take on science that will be so fantastic ,the rest of the science inclined Civs will hate her for it.

That is the solution presented by Occam's razor. But because a monument replacement for Korea just feels lame, especially when they're the obvious candidate for a unique campus, and at the same time the "universal obelisk" monument is also weird, a lot of us are defying Occam and really, really hoping that this is just our first hint of regional monuments. ;)

I consider that quite likely, personally. Plus I think there was a Korean drama about them, and Firaxis does love their pop culture references. :p

Well, korean soap operas wasn't what expected when I googled that. The Loras Tyrell of medieval fighting units I gather? The warrior-poet bit (if that's not invented for the tv show) could have some sort of interesting cultural tie in, i.e. generates great writer points with each kill or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom