1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Tech and Civics Shuffle Mode: your impressions and screenshots

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MrRadar, Aug 27, 2020.

1. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I must say, at first sight, I'm in LOOOOOOOOOOVE with this mode. I think it will be my default from now on for the foreseeable future. From time to time I will load the default one, of course. For lulz and giggles, as they say. :)

First roll taken in August 2020 patch.
    Tech tree:
    Spoiler :

Whoa, I'm already doubting if my attempt at religion was all that necessary. Boxed in, thankfully all my neighbours found something to do by themselves: Amanitore vs Genghis and Rough Teddy vs Gitarja. Phew...

Civics tree:
    Spoiler :

Oof! Take that! How deep is that first trade route and the PP?

Firaxis! Help save the planet! Let us save our shuffled trees for future generations! :yup:

Myomoto, AntSou and Pfeffersack like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Wow, that shuffle really frontloaded the ancient era civics for you.

3. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I just had a tech tree where everything in the Ancient Era except Animal Husbandry -> Irrigation -> Shipbuilding was a dead end.

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  4. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Ah the deep Political Philosophy really hurts. And if your UD is kinda early the shuffle mode also hurt a bit (for example Mali may want to build a UD in ancient era to ensure classical golden age, but if the Currency tech is deep in classical era, then forget about it).

5. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I agree - that mode could become the first one I regularly use (Apocalypse is just not my thing - I'm just try it out for fun one day, but I just don't like the idea of random comet strikes killing entire cities and Secret Societies, while I like idea/flavour, just suffers in terms of balance and adding too much free stuff to the game)...

Beside that slight SMAC touch and the refreshing experience to have to adapt to new challenges in terms of progress and unlocking stuff, my first turns with that mode let me realized that there is probably another effect there:

On the whole, this mode will rather slow down things than speed them up - and that is, for my taste, a good thing when it comes to the culture and tech tree.

It will not be visible in every game and nearly in every game you will progress faster through a few of the areas - but my theory is that overall, the added randomness will act as a brake. The normal tech tree was designed to have a certain pace in the game, including the boosters. And as much as you can discuss about the logic and real world realism behind certain prequesites and connections, overall it tries to follow certain rules (e.g. providing a strategic ressource before it can be used, spreading out units, boosters for a tech rely on things which earlier techs enable). If you randomly shake up things, it is much more likely to weaken or completely cut such "speed-up relations" than the possible, but odd case of even letting things fall even better in place.

For the moment that is just a theory, but the fact the my freshly started standard speed Deity game is past T40 and I haven't even seen the era advancement warning (which I usually get T30, so that ancient era is over after 40 turns) is a good sign for me :)

topsecret, AntSou, oedali and 3 others like this.
  6. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

More games probably will be needed to assess that. In my current game the world will become Classical on T46 (normal speed/size, Deity), not very different from unshuffled one.

7. footballciv

footballciv Chieftain

They should've thought of jittering the horizontal locations of those prerequisite arrows. Or just force them not to be overlapping. When they do overlap, it's sometimes impossible to tell the prerequisite without clicking on it. E.g. in the first pic in MrRadar's post, does Masonry depend on Sailing or Writing? or both?

Also I wonder if one could guess the location of political philosophy by looking at the size of or the empty space around the civic?

Pfeffersack and Atlas627 like this.
  8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It's nice as a chance of pace, and I'm sure it's heaven for those folks who have been asking for it forever (people ask for it in my own game as well), but as someone who is already irritated by the illogical prerequisites in the normal tree, it bothers me that I have to research Shipbuilding to unlock Iron Working, etc.

9. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Yes, fair point, that should be made more transparent. As much of the rest of the Civ 6 UI, which is still not that great nearly 4 years on.

No, the boxes increase in size to accommodate the information only after being revealed, you can tell nothing before:
    Spoiler :

borad, Pfeffersack and footballciv like this.
  10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

11. footballciv

footballciv Chieftain

The civic does have some extra space below it. Could be that the tree first gets generated and the space gets reserved for the bigger civic. Could also be a coincidence. I guess we'll know with more trees.

12. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

To my knowledge both civic and tech trees have a lager space in the lower half than the upper half.

13. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Prince

I haven't had time to look at it yet, but I'm kinda thrilled to see things shaken up. One question: Are the structures of the trees different every game? Not sure how to phrase it better, but like, are the structures the same and the techs/civics are just shuffled within those structures, or are they different, like the number of leaf techs/civics changes, the number of techs in the first column of an era changes every game, etc?

14. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Haven't played yet, was working.

I can't help but wonder since they announced the shuffle what the impact on getting a religion will be... Seems to me that you can chose a highly "religion game" civ then be stuck with Astrology hidden way back in there ! Of course, if THAT happens, then it's going to be the same for every civ...

I'm going to love this I think ;-) Default mode forever !

topsecret, MrRadar and AntSou like this.
  15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Workaround: Choose Arabia and wait for that free last prophet.

tedhebert likes this.
  16. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

I wonder how soon we'll see a deep State workforce..

17. Linklite

Linklite Prince

You can see from MrRadar's screenshots that the structure has been changed as well, the techs haven't just been swapped. For example, you normally start off with 5 initial options (sailing, astrology, pottery, animal husbandry and mining, although the first two are offset) from which all later techs are derived (ie you have to research at least one of those techs to unlock and research any other tech in the game). In his, it starts with three (the last three I mentioned in my list for the standard game), and everything is derived from those three. The structure has changed, they haven't just played musical chairs with them. Presumably it's the same for civics.

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Phoenicia and Maori are nice because they start with Eurekas or Techs unlocked, showing where things are.

19. oedali

oedali King

I haven't used the real eurekas mod before (hadn't even heard of it until last week when it started coming up in this context) but definitely interested now as it sounds to have perfect synergy with this new game mode. Has it been confirmed yet that they are fully compatible ie no issues?

20. Infixo

Infixo Deity