1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Tech and Civics Shuffle Mode: your impressions and screenshots

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MrRadar, Aug 27, 2020.

1. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I think that's why Anton said in the stream that he originally wanted this shuffle feature to be included in GS, but there were just too many bugs with the shuffled UI, so the whole project was delayed until NFP.

I guess they still messed up the layer of texts or something.

2. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

And it's fun that Phoenicia's eureka for writing was 'meh' before and now suddenly becomes 'mmm nice...' ;-)

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

What's that you say? You went for an early war, which was only partially successful, and now that you're an era behind in technology, you were banking on being able to use your carefully secured source of niter to turn your army of now-useless Swordsmen and Catapults into an effective fighting force that can turn around your losing position?

"Up your butt, Jobu!" sayeth RNGesus.

20200827232129_1.jpg

Can you tell what the prerequisites are for Gunpowder? Me neither.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  4. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Oh this is worth a bug report. Nice find.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I have the same problem, and there are no mods loaded. There's a hidden civic behind Guilds that is locking the unrevealed civic at right.

Firaxis QA shines again.

20200827235328_1.jpg

Myomoto and oedali like this.
  6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Boosts are fully separated from the trees and the shuffle mode - that why Real Eurekas is still working good after the patch.
    If you see weird connections - that is the shuffle mode.
    If you don't clearly see how the tree looks like - that is an UI issue (window that displays tech or civic tree).

Myomoto, oedali and AntSou like this.
  7. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

It really is, however it seems the problem here is that the civics are both lined up in the same column and end up being one on top of the other. This virtually created three tiers within an era.

I also have a very enjoyable first game (not as weird, but have naval tradition as bottleneck, and a lot of dead ends). The only problem so far is also related to the UI, as the lines are sometimes hard to read. They cross top to bottom and I cant really see what the dependencies are. Perhaps the UI needs more clarity and fixing altogether. While it was all hand-made as per standard tree, it was all clean and neatly organized. This is a mess of lines and maybe highlighting them on hovering over techs and civics would help.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Holy bottleneck, Batman!

20200828030245_1.jpg

I've learned that the only way to make sense of this mess is to select the next-tier tech and see which prerequisites are queued up.

But I can't shake the feeling that they spent more time editing the Developer livestream video than they did testing this "feature."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    tedhebert, oedali, MrRadar and 3 others like this.
  9. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

If you can't see the dependencies, just click on the civic and it will show it, like in the screenshot above. I don't think there will be a fix to this since lines have always overlapped as far as I'm aware, and I suspect a jittering solution would just cause them to overlap elsewhere.

Can you still see it in the tech list, at least? This I do want to see fixed.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I don't think a permanent fix for ambiguous prereq lines is really possible, but the overlapping techs is just embarrassingly awful lack of proper testing.

I guess they figure this is another throwaway mode that no one will try more than once, and in that respect they're right, in my case.

AntSou likes this.
  11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I think Anton implied in a tweet that the upcoming modes (including this one) are additions to the base game experience for more regular use.

Edit: It's not implied, it's literal.

"If everything goes smoothly, the next two planned Modes we have for you are historically-themed ones that are designed to be more organic additions to normal historical play, that can be left on all the time. Subtle but still exciting changes to the existing balance."

12. Red Adept

Red Adept Warlord

Here's my recent tech tree. It's more like a willow with a lot of long branches. Innovation is going to be slow and narrow until the Industrial Era.

Spoiler :
    20200827220348_1.jpg 20200827220402_1.jpg 20200827220410_1.jpg 20200827220417_1.jpg 20200827220425_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020
  13. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

I really like this mode, I don't know yet, but it has a chance to be incorporated into my default game setup. Only the graphical links between techs get messed up a little from time to time, it has been happening since GS and its Future Era.

MrRadar likes this.
  14. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Agree, someone who runned into should post that together with a save in the bug section. It would be really sad if that doesn't get fixed :(

15. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I've run into the overlapping prerequisite display bug as well:
    Spoiler :

the hidden one appears to be Exploration:
    Spoiler :

No mods used.
    @oedali, @AriochIV, have you already reported it somewhere? I made a save which I can add to the bug thread.

AntSou likes this.
  16. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Haven't gone far at all with this mode yet but just to see what happens started a Kupe game, and although sailing has 2 prereqs I have to learn them before I can learn iron working, which is only unlocked by Sailing. So no skipping techs, Kupe! (this is good).

Maori Shuffled Techs.jpg

topsecret, Kjimmet, AntSou and 3 others like this.
  17. oedali

oedali King

I will when I get to my PC later, hard to post from phone

18. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Well, they're not going to get much regular use if they're coded as shoddily as this one is.

hhhhhh likes this.
  19. oedali

oedali King

20. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

Sadly, no screenshot as I'm on the phone. In my current game, I have writing as a dead end tech. Seeing as I'm doing voidsinger Russia culture, I may just never learn writing. It explains all the unemployed "writers" at least.

And on the civics side, I had a civic with no prerequisite civics connected to it. I should be able to post that later. It turned out there was a connection, but the link just wasn't there.

Pietato likes this.