1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech boost and World Era

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Minou, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Minou

Minou Prince

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere and I missed it. I played a lot of Vanilla Civ 6 and have only recently bought Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm.

Playing Rise and Fall, I noticed how tech costs go down when you enter a new World Era. Currency for example costs 144 during the Ancient Era but drops to 120 once the Classical Era starts.

Eurekas provide 40% of a tech cost, but I was not sure if this got scaled. Does this mean if I boost Currency during the Ancient Era I would get 57.6 beakers, but if I wait until the Classical Era I would get only 48 beakers? I think that this is true, but I had a hard time figuring this out myself because the game only shows progress bars, not the actual number of beakers completed or needed (would be nice if Fireaxis let you hover the cursor over the bar and see the numbers).

If that is how things work, I would assume there was a big incentive to boost as many techs as possible before the World Era advanced, as each boost would be worth more early (e.g. I am at 10.9 beakers per turn on turn 40 in my current game so the difference in boosting Currency early be worth almost a full turn worth of research).

I remember @Boyun_Sun posted about waiting to complete Classical Era techs until the Classical Era so you can get the benefit of the cost dropping, and maybe this is a natural extension of that strategy?

2. greenblade

greenblade Chieftain

Here is my understanding: Every tech/civ has an inherit cost, like 120 for Currency. If a tech is one era advance than current world era, then the effective cost (it's what you see when you move your mouse over the it in the tech tree) is +20% of the inherit cost. Boosts are always 40% of the inherit cost, so it would be 33% of the effective cost. When you enter the new era, the effective cost drops down to the same as inherit cost.