1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech brokering question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jonpfl, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jonpfl

jonpfl Chieftain

All,

I am not sure how to set up my game. I want to have technology trading but only allow things a civ discovered to be traded. How should I set it on the option screen?

Uncheck 'No Technology Trading'
    Uncheck 'No Technology Brokering'

Is this correct?

Thx
    jonpfl

2. Walliard

Walliard WW007D?

You want "No Technology Brokering" to be checked.

3. niels251

niels251 Chieftain

does anyone know if you have No Technology Brokering checked and you maken a colony can that colony trade away the techs het gets automatically from you?

4. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

I do not believe so. In fact, IIRC, I don't think the colony will "inherit" the techs that the mother country has obtained from third parties, either.....so if you didn't research meditation, for instance, your colony may have to research that on its own after independence.

5. niels251

niels251 Chieftain

thanks for the info

6. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ Chieftain

That means the colony would have completed technologies, and not have the prerequisites. I see this as a problem for unit making etc.:confused:

7. jonpfl

jonpfl Chieftain

So, Brokering means anyone can trade any tech regardless if they researched it or not?

Thx
    jonpfl

8. Endwar 005

Endwar 005 The lolrus

No. When colonies are formed, they get the previous tech branch that you researched, I think..

9. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ Chieftain

Well assuming they get every tech I had at the time of the colony forming, the question is can they trade any of it? I would think not with the "no tech brokering" option on.

10. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

I seem to recall a colony researching a tech that I already had (like Divine Right I believe) in a previous game. Of course, that wasn't a tech branch, just a specific tech, so it's possible my example wasn't a good one. If you can show a save file or something, I'll gladly stand corrected.... I seem to recall seeing colonies end up with riflemen as their units when they're founded after I traded fro assembly line, for example (I almost always play with "no tech brokering" enabled.)

11. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

Yes, brokering in this context means getting a tech by trading (or gift) and then trading it with someone else to get more tech.

12. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

In my experience: Colonies inherit all technologies known by the parent civ at the moment of their creation, to the same degree as the parent civ. Meaning, that if you just researched IronWorking and then created a colony, that colony would a) know IronWorking and b) be able to trade it.

[Sudden thought: I do not know I they inherit beakers invested in yet to be learned techs, though it would be important to know either way. If they do inherit beakers, that is useful to know; if they do not, then the best time to create a colony is the turn before you finish researching a tech.]

13. niels251

niels251 Chieftain

since they inherit all technologie has anyone seem or notice them trading?

I they can i think when you are on top with technologie than making an colony is not a smart thing to.

14. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Chieftain

Colonies get all techs their masters have, regardless of how he got them. They can also trade them all away as if they researched it themselves, even if their master didn't. Personally, I think all colony techs should be considered traded (and therefore not tradeable under NTB), but that hasn't stopped me from taking advantage of it.

The first thing I always do when I see a colony spin off is trade with it. It's especially nice if the master hated you, but the colony likes you, so you can get not just the techs that the master can't trade, but also the ones they won't trade because of attitude. And since colonies are generally pretty weak, you don't have to worry so much about giving them techs that would make them too powerful.

For this reason I also rarely even spin off colonies when I have a tech lead.

15. jray

jray Chieftain

Sounds like a major bug to me. Hopefully Bhruic is reading this and will fix it in his unofficial patch :). I guess we'd need to come to some sort of consesus about what the "intended" gameplay was though-- colonies having no trading rights on inherited techs (my personal preference) or inheriting the same flags as the master has. In any case, I'm certainly never going to make a colony if I play No Tech Brokering.

16. oedali

oedali Chieftain

I do the exact same thing too, and never realized until now that it's a total exploit and a serious bug. Great catch! Hopefully Bhruic will agree to fix it.