What should we research after Alphabet

• Math > something else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trystero

Deity
Since we seem to be having differences of opinion on the matter, and we are having trouble reaching a consensus, state your preference for the next research target.

I voted for the Math > Currency > CoL option, with the understanding that we can divert to Archery or IW if the need arises.

If we don't find Copper or Horses before we finish Alphabet, Iron Working.

I'm pretty sure we won't, since we finish the galley on the same turn as Alphabet (in 3 turns). :)

I was thinking about making this a preference vote. Archery in particular may be a reasonable option in the sense that most people voting iron working first would put archery second before CoL, and people (well myself at least anyway) voting CoL might put Archery second before Iron Working. We won't see that in this sort of poll though.

I'm also for iron working. I may be able to be talked into doing Maths before IW but it seems way too early to worry about currency.

Currency will arrive on almost exactly the same turn we settle on Andromeda, making trade routes highly profitable. Personally I can't think of a better time to worry about currency.

I was thinking about making this a preference vote. Archery in particular may be a reasonable option in the sense that most people voting iron working first would put archery second before CoL, and people (well myself at least anyway) voting CoL might put Archery second before Iron Working. We won't see that in this sort of poll though.

I suppose, although people can leave their preferences in the thread comments. I was more concerned with the immediate tech after Alphabet, since we'll be there in a few turns. We could run another poll assessing short term tech goals after we decide the immediate issue, if you like.

I suppose, although people can leave their preferences in the thread comments. I was more concerned with the immediate tech after Alphabet, since we'll be there in a few turns. We could run another poll assessing short term tech goals after we decide the immediate issue, if you like.

Sorry, by "second" I mean second preference. As in they may rather do iron the archery, but rather archery than math. Archery seems to me like a potentially popular second-best option compromise. Or maybe not, the point being it's hard to tell.

I'm not really sure what I think we should do about it, probably nothing, just putting the thought out there.

First preference: Iron Working (get us some metal)
Second preference: Mathematics

I don't see the point in getting Archery right now.

First preference: Iron Working (get us some metal)
Second preference: Mathematics

I don't see the point in getting Archery right now.

I think Trystero was the one that brought up that Archery will have the immediate effect of giving us Archers. IW MAY or may not give us Iron, we still may be screwed on that account. CoL is a very useful Tech even without founding the religon but I know those Humanoid Barbs are coming and Warriors won't be enough.

I voted math-currency-CoL. I have no concerns about our immediate security, and think this is the time to keep growing our economic power.

I think Trystero was the one that brought up that Archery will have the immediate effect of giving us Archers. IW MAY or may not give us Iron, we still may be screwed on that account. CoL is a very useful Tech even without founding the religon but I know those Humanoid Barbs are coming and Warriors won't be enough.

It might have been Irgy who raised the point first, but I had a similar thought. I would actually state IW as my second preference. The point was (as AlphaShard explained) that if your argument for IW was we need protection, Archery was a lower cost/less risk choice. Since I don't think we are in any immediate peril, I would choose IW since, besides revealing a resource, it leads to Compass > Optics, which we will want eventually, and it has better value in trade.

No it isn't. Courthouses are expensive and unnecessary for quite a while, Chicken Pizza is a useless wonder and as far as I'm aware we have no intension to run Caste in the near future. As such, it's basically just a gateway to CS.

Also, Archery is a useless tech without Horseback Riding and horses, or Feudalism.

No it isn't. Courthouses are expensive and unnecessary for quite a while, Chicken Pizza is a useless wonder and as far as I'm aware we have no intension to run Caste in the near future. As such, it's basically just a gateway to CS.

Also, Archery is a useless tech without Horseback Riding and horses, or Feudalism.

Caste System is good for runing those Scientists.

Archery is not useless against Barbs. You may like using Axemen instead but it's NOT useless. There is a big difference between your preference and something still being effective.

I actually agree with this. Most of what it does is open up Civil Service. Math and Currency are much more useful in the short term. If we do end up going the Math path, maybe we should have this debate again after Currency, particularly if Confucianism is gone.

Archers are a hell of a lot better than warriors against barbs. Warriors struggle against barb archers, and are useless against axes or spears, while archers still do the job until after barbs have generally stopped spawning. If we don't have resources they might be all we've got.

Anyway, it looks like Archery's not that popular even as a second choice, so it doesn't really matter.

Archers are marginally better because they can defend in cities. We still get pillaged back to the stone age.

Well that's obivously why we need to BALANCE our forces. Archers to defend cities since Warriors can't defend against Barb Archers or Axe. Then build our own Axe and horse unites to defend the land.

Top Bottom