Tech in Teams

fuji

Chieftain
Does it have any advantage researching different techs when playing in teams ?
It seems so much more logical to go for the same thing so you have the benefit faster...

Does any body knows a situation where it is best to research different techs ?

My experience seemed to show that every tech took twice as long to research when you are teamed with someone. So, if you both(you and your team mate) researched the same item it would be at "normal" speed. Just run a test of a game with you and someone else teamed and everyone else solo (i.e. not teamed with anyone). Turn off tech trading BTW. You will see that you don't rapidly outpace them in tech like you would expect.

Yes about that, is a game at high difficulty (Monarch and higher) easier or harder if you turn of tech trading ?

After you discover a tech, everyone else gets a bonus to researching it. So you may want to research different techs to slow the others down.

Example:
Teammate 1 researches Philosophy.
Teammate 2 researches Education.
Both research Liberalism.

ravenone said:
My experience seemed to show that every tech took twice as long to research when you are teamed with someone.

I think that's right. Can't remember where, but I know that I've read that members of a team each have a 50% penalty to research speed.

It's defined by TECH_COST_EXTRA_TEAM_MEMBER_MODIFIER in GlobalDefines.xml. Note that it's +50% cost per team member, though, not half speed. So you do actually get a tech faster than a solo player would, just not twice as fast.

Hey, thanks for checking on that. I was going to, but decided that I was just too lazy.

Top Bottom