Tech Parity with Poly at Astronomy(or Navigation)

Donovan Zoi

The Return
I would like your thoughts on the following proposal. This research initiative is being discussed and polled at Apolyton as well.

-------

In a nutshell, Poly is researching Education right now(complete in 5 turns) and will then start work on Astronomy. But rather than give us Education after they discover it, they would like to hold on to this tech until they complete Astronomy. They would then give us both techs at once.

The reasoning here is simple: techs that are passed around become less valuable to research for those who don't have that tech. And since GWT is behind all of us in the tech race, they would benefit greatly from our sharing of knowledge by being able to research those techs in less time.

Since we don't have an immediate need for Education(Universities), I see nothing wrong with delaying our acquisiton of Education. I do, however, see a need for Caravels and would like to see tech parity at Astronomy for this reason. Technically, we could even push this back our demand for parity at Navigation(when we finally gain control of the seas), but I do not want Apolyton to hold too many of our techs. ;)

Of course, we would continue to pay 40gpt for the duration of this research.

Please let me know what you think of this plan, and post any questions or concerns. This will most likely be a running dialogue that I will have with Apolyton for the next few turns so any insight you have on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Once discussion on this matter has died down, I will post a poll.

I don't mind holding back on parity until navigation, but let's take the most advantage of this strategy by PRE-BUILDING those Caravels. We should take as much advantage as possible of waiting on gaining tech parity.

I see no need to demand our techs at this time since we aren't going to build Universities and the Caravels would be useless until we get Navigation. How many turns does Apolyton suggest it will take them to get to Navigation?

Originally posted by Cheetah
Are you sure we can't use Caravels to get to the other continent?

Not without risk, Cheetah. The narrowest stretch of ocean between ourselves and the West is 4 tiles wide. For that reason, I think deshelbr's idea is a good one. Perhaps we can start a prebuild in our northern island city, although I would need to calculate the particulars so that we don't build it too soon.

What kind of units will be placed in the caravels? How good of units does GWT have? I fear that we can cross the ocean but then have few units to fight there.

The only units I would recommend sending would be musketmen/ pikemen and Riders. Building caravels would be a good idea, if we were to go to war. If we don't what's the point?

With Caravels, Riders, and Musketmen we will contain the right combination of units to inluence the war. Also, if we want to use the Riders to create a Great Leader before Riders become obsolete we are going to need to use them on the other continent. Even if we don't use them in war, simply landing 8 Riders on the other continent could have a profound affect on Webringen's strategy.

However, you are right, if we are pretty sure that we aren't going over to the other continent we don't even need the Caravels, we might as well plan for Galleons and Frigates. If it weren't for the obvious benefit of being able to trade with Webringen, Netatolia, and Gamecatcher by having Navigation we could really push off parity until Magnetism.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me where on the tech tree Apolyton and us are planning to go after Navigation?

I think that the proposed idea is fine at this point.

I also think that we should be more a naval power than a land one. While Apolytan could destroy us far more easily than if we got land units, they would want to kill us even less since we are patrolling their seas against their enemies.

I would agree, except that I feel at this point, with lands to be settled and cities to be grown, by the time the Great Lighthouse would be a smart option would be around the same time it would be obsolete.

We should build up cities and expand before building up a navy. Think like the U.S.. Expand through the frontier then build a decent navy. It worked for my nation. It should work for this one.

I totally agree with that one.

Yes but I think we should have all the cities make settlers when we get Navigation or Astronomy. We need lets say for evey 4 cities making a settoler one making a ship. But in the meantime we should get as many settlers as possible.

Sorry, guys but I won't even consider depleteing our core cities for Settlers until the FP is near completion, and even then I will be looking for alternatives. Instead, I would like to get what I can out of two newly placed cities in the southeast.

I will discuss this in more detail next turn.

Top Bottom