Tech Quotes for v43 new tech plans

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
So this was brought up in Discord a bit ago and perhaps got swallowed up by the AI conversation but I'm bringing it up here now and we did get SOME good interaction there for a bit.

I'm doing a bunch of new techs based on a major tech tree restructure plan to support the unit review project. It took me a while but I have ALL of these techs mapped out as to where they will go on the tree, what will be their prereqs and what they will be prereqs for - numerous movements of techs and adjustments of placement will also be taking place.

My point here is that these are baked into a plan already so are past the point of debate whether we need them or not - there is purpose to all things here. However, to implement them, I need buttons and descriptions and importantly, tech quotes.

My wife (Whisperr) is working on buttons though it's a big list for her so if anyone wants to do some, she's working on the first of them right now and we could do a claiming system to divide that project up somewhat.

The originator of many of these, David, has stated he'll help me with some descriptions on some of the harder ones to understand what they might refer to but anyone who wants to post me some pedia descriptive text is welcome to help in that regard so these can come together quickly.

The MAIN thing I want assistance with is the quotes. There's a LOT of sources for quotes online and we've had some great suggestions and we need to go through them and decide on them hopefully fairly quickly. I'm not asking for recordings yet though if we've locked down a quote then I'd love to get submissions on that, post them and post a poll on that too so that we can as a community choose the recordings we like the best. I'll be throwing my own hat into that ring for most of these as well.

Here is the current list of NEW techs along with the suggestions we have so far.

If they are bold, I've decided I really really like the quote provided and that one is now (probably) locked down but I'll give it some time and if others have a quote they like more, they can get them in right away and we can do a poll.

If italicized, we have multiple suggestions and we need to consider those we have and do a quick poll which will happen very soon so if you have another to suggest, get your comment in quick here before it goes to poll on its own thread!

If it's neither bold nor italicized, we need more submissions! We should just respond here for these if we can so that all suggests are in one place and I'll try to keep up on showing them here in the first post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TECH_FRONTIERING
Washington [D.C.] is not a place to live in. The rents are high, the food is bad, the dust is disgusting and the morals are deplorable. Go West, young man, go West and grow up with the country. — attributed to Horace Greeley

(perfect quote imo)

TECH_SEWING_MACHINES
The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path.
-Mason Cooley

Today I'll bake, tomorrow I'll brew,
The next I'll fetch the queen's new child;
Still no one knows it just the same,
That Rumpelstiltskin is my name.'

Today I dance alone
tomorrow with a child.
Oh, it's hard to play my game,
Rumpelstiltskin is my name!

TECH_MEDICAL_INSTRUMENTATION
When there's no place for the scalpel, words are the surgeon's only tool.
Paul Kalanithi

At first I was queasy; I'll never forget the sound of the scalpel cutting a body open. But it was so cool trying to work out how these people died.
Jonathan Davis

Let me alone: I have yet my legs and one arm. Tell the surgeon to make haste and his instruments. I know I must lose my right arm, so the sooner it's off the better.
Horatio Nelson

TECH_CRANK_WEAPONS
A Wind Up Guns scene from Futurama has been suggested - I can try to find a way to post it here

It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine gun which could by its rapidity of fire enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent, supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease would be greatly diminished.
Richard Jordan Gatling

TECH_TYPEWRITERS
Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters and they'll eventually type the entire works of William Shakespeare.
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

TECH_CEMENT
Everything in Russia is made of cement - phone booths, fence posts and light bulbs. Ian Frazier

As a child, I used to have a secret dread - and a recurring nightmare - of the whole world becoming city, being covered with cement and buildings and streets. No more country. No more woods.
William Stanley Merwin

TECH_MECHANICAL_REAPERS

TECH_PADDLEWHEEL

TECH_BARREL_RIFLING

TECH_STELLAR_PARALAX
The wonder is not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it.
Anatole France

TECH_POSTAGE
Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.
-Josh Billings

Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.
-Josh Billings

TECH_EVOLUTION_THEORY
Biology is the most powerful technology ever created. DNA is software, protein are hardware, cells are factories.
Arvind Gupta

Our world is built on biology and once we begin to understand it, it then becomes a technology.
- Ryan Bethencourt

Biology sometimes reveals its fundamental principles through what may seem at first to be arcane and bizarre.
- Elizabeth Blackburn

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky

Evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science - in all of biology.
Bill Nye

Biology is the science. Evolution is the concept that makes biology unique.
Jared Diamond

Biology is the study of complicated things that have the appearance of having been designed with a purpose.
Richard Dawkins

TECH_ANTISEPTICS
Bearing in mind that it is from the vitality of the atmospheric particles that all the mischief arises, it appears that all that is requisite is to dress the wound with some material capable of killing these septic germs, provided that any substance can be found reliable for this purpose, yet not too potent as a caustic.
Joseph Lister

TECH_BREACH_LOADING
That breech loader has killed everything but a train engine, and now it's done that too.
Patrick D. Smith, A Land Remembered

TECH_NAVAL_SCIENCE
The influence of the government will be felt in its most legitimate manner in maintaining an armed navy, of a size commensurate with the growth of its shipping and the importance of the interests connected with it.
- Alfred Thayer Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power upon History

TECH_MAGAZINES
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

(this is pretty good!)

TECH_AMUSEMENT_PARKS
You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.
We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.
Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.
-Walt Disney

TECH_HEAVY_ORDNANCE
In the drumfire, bravery no longer exists: only nerves, nerves, nerves. When anyone is exposed to such trials and tribulations he is no longer of any use as an attacker or defender.
-Anonymous German soldier about the Battle of Verdun

TECH_PENISCILIN
If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
-Muhammad Ali

Nature makes penicillin; I just found it.
-Alexander Fleming

TECH_INNOVATIVE_WEAPON_SYSTEMS

TECH_SEMI_AUTOMATIC_WEAPONS

TECH_PARTISAN_TACTICS
By the middle of 1943 partisan resistance to the Germans and their allies had grown from the dimensions of a mere nuisance to those of a major factor in the general situation. In many parts of occupied Europe the enemy was suffering losses at the hands of partisans that he could ill afford.
-Basil Davidson

TECH_SUPERCHARGER

TECH_MANEUVER_WARFARE

TECH_ASSUALT_WEAPONS
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. -Erwin Rommel

(I think this is better for the Magazines quote though Rommel IS more a concurrent thing for where this tech will be.)

TECH_HIGH_ALTITUDE_PHOTOGRAPHY
I can see my house from here.

TECH_MILITARY_INDUSTRIALISM
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex" This is from president Eisenhower farewell speech of January 17, 1961

TECH_GUIDANCE_SYSTEMS
The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't.

TECH_AIRCRAFT_RADAR

TECH_RADIO_JAMMING

TECH_RADAR_MINIATURIZATION

TECH_SWEPT_WING

TECH_SOCIAL_JUSTICE
It is not possible to be in favor of justice for some people and not be in favor of justice for all people
-MLK JR

TECH_DISCO
"youtu.be/mJpymZpk-t8?t=26" (I hope this does not put the video here now, just the link 26 seconds in the video)

"Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% from the year ending 1976? If these trends continue... heyyy!" "Uhm, your fish are dead" "Yeah I know, I can't get them out of there".
Disco Stu and Homer (could get youtube audio)

TECH_SPACE_PROBES
Hello from the children of planet Earth.
-Golden record aboard the Voyager probes

There is nothing so far removed from us to be beyond our reach, or so far hidden that we cannot discover it.
-Rene Descartes

Space is for everybody. It's not just for a few people in science or math, or for a select group of astronauts. That's our new frontier out there, and it's everybody's business to know about space.
-Christa McAuliffe

TECH_HARD_ROCK

TECH_FLY_BY_WIRE

TECH_VIDEO_GAMES
I think everyone can enjoy games.
-Shigeru Miyamoto

TECH_POWER_PROJECTION
I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'
-Theodore Roosevelt

TECH_SYNTH_POP
"I'm an engineer. I see myself as a toolmaker and the musicians are my customers... They use my tools."
~ Robert Moog

TECH_INFRARED_OPTICS

TECH_PRECISION_STRIKE

TECH_STRATEGIC_DEVELOPMENT

TECH_NIGHT_VISION

TECH_GLOBAL_POSITIONING_SYSTEMS
Right now there are thirty-one satellites zipping around the world with nothing better to do than help you find your way to the grocery store.
-Ed Burnette

TECH_GRUNGE
"With the lights out, it's less dangerous! Here we are now, entertain us!"
Curt Cobain, Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit

TECH_SPEECH_RECOGNITION
"Hello computer."
-Montgomery Scott (Star Trek: The Voyage Home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE)

TECH_FLIGHT_MANAGEMENT

TECH_BATTLE_SPACE_THEORY

TECH_REFLECTIVE_ENGINEERING

TECH_SMART_PHONES
"An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. [...] These are not three separate devices. This is one device, and we are calling it, iPhone.
-Steve Jobs from the very first iPhone presentation

TECH_COMPOSITE_ROUNDS

TECH_COMPUTER_FLIGHT_DESIGN

TECH_MODULAR_ORBITAL_CONSTRUCTION

TECH_PROGRAMABLE_FLAK

TECH_TURRET_AUTOMATION

TECH_HYPERSONIC_BALLISTICS

TECH_MAGNETIC_LAUNCH

TECH_INFORMATIONAL_WARFARE
World War III is a guerrilla information war with no division between military and civilian participation.
-Marshall McLuhan

And knowing is half the battle.
-G.I. Joe

TECH_SUPPRESSION_WEAPON_SYSTEMS
"Suppressing fire!"
Cyril Figgis (Archer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKBcLQmyEA)

TECH_LOW_GRAVITY_ENGINEERING

TECH_MICROGENERATORS

TECH_RAPID_DESCENT_CONTROL
"Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship."
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
)

TECH_ELECTRICAL_WAR_ENGINES

TECH_LIGHT_RAILGUN

TECH_ORBITAL_STRIKES
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure
-Ripley, Aliens

"We now have the technology to produce a space-based weapon system which can perform the same mission for less cost. The space system is also much less vulnerable and can respond faster to any location on the globe than a dozen carrier task forces spread throughout the oceans of the world. The proposed name for this weapon is THOR, for it would literally give the United States the power to call down lightning bolts from the heavens upon its enemies" http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/planetaryattack.php#projthor3

Last edited:
I was sure that the "Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters and you'll have the complete works of William Shakespere" was Douglas Adams in Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, but it's quite possible he pinched it from someone else.

The infinite monkey theorem predates Douglas Adams, and from a quick skim, it looks like the exact quote can't be accurately attributed to any one person in particular.

e: Also, yes, the "nuke the site from orbit" quote is from Aliens

Last edited:
TECH_POSTAGE
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.
- Josh Billings

TECH_INFORMATIONAL_WARFARE
And knowing is half the battle.
- G.I. Joe

And the mod once again enters the ASSIMILATION phase:
"All Your RAM Are Belong To Us!"

And I LOVE it!

TECH_SEWING_MACHINES
Today I'll bake, tomorrow I'll brew,
The next I'll fetch the queen's new child;
Still no one knows it just the same,
That Rumpelstiltskin is my name.'"

or

Today I dance alone
tomorrow with a child.
Oh, it's hard to play my game,
Rumpelstiltskin is my name!

TECH_DISCO

This?
"youtu.be/mJpymZpk-t8?t=26" (I hope this does not put the video here now, just the link 26 seconds in the video)

I thought it was a stupid song when it was released in 1979, but now it sounds iconic... ymmv.

TECH_DISCO

"Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% from the year ending 1976? If these trends continue... heyyy!" "Uhm, your fish are dead" "Yeah I know, I can't get them out of there".

Disco Stu and Homer -

I put a few more suggestions in the doc, I'll copy them over here as well.

TECH_SEWING_MACHINES
The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path.
- Mason Cooley

TECH_MEDICAL_INSTRUMENTATION
When there's no place for the scalpel, words are the surgeon's only tool.
- Paul Kalanithi

At first I was queasy; I'll never forget the sound of the scalpel cutting a body open. But it was so cool trying to work out how these people died.
- Jonathan Davis

Let me alone: I have yet my legs and one arm. Tell the surgeon to make haste and his instruments. I know I must lose my right arm, so the sooner it's off the better.
- Horatio Nelson

Also this one's not mine but I'll copy it over as well;
TECH_SMART_PHONES
"An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. [...] These are not three separate devices. This is one device, and we are calling it, iPhone.
-Steve Jobs from the very first iPhone presentation

Also also, for TECH_EVOLUTION_THEORY, it makes the most sense to me to transfer over the quote from Biology and replace that one with a new quote. Here's a few I dug up real quick;
Biology is the most powerful technology ever created. DNA is software, protein are hardware, cells are factories.
- Arvind Gupta

Our world is built on biology and once we begin to understand it, it then becomes a technology.
- Ryan Bethencourt

Biology sometimes reveals its fundamental principles through what may seem at first to be arcane and bizarre.
- Elizabeth Blackburn

There's also a few solid options specifically for TECH_EVOLUTION_THEORY, but it would still feel a bit odd to me to keep the current Biology quote, since it's straight from Darwin and this change specifically moves the theory of evolution to its own tech. Regardless, here's the ones I found just now:
Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science - in all of biology.
- Bill Nye

Biology is the science. Evolution is the concept that makes biology unique.
- Jared Diamond

Biology is the study of complicated things that have the appearance of having been designed with a purpose.
- Richard Dawkins

And here's another one that just struck me for TECH_SPACE_PROBES:
Hello from the children of planet Earth.
- Golden Record aboard the Voyager probes
What makes this particularly interesting is that the original audio recording is freely available online (with the full transcript and background here), so after conversion that could basically go straight in. I wouldn't process it beyond that honestly, the grainy noise is part of the original recording. IMO it's powerful to just leave it as-is and not clean it up.

For TECH_AMUSEMENT_PARKS, the obvious route would be to take a quote from Walt Disney. I'd put in just a single one if I could, but even a quick skim of Brainyquote gave me these three options, which all seem suitable:
You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.
We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.
Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.

And finally, a not-so-serious suggestion (which could still be a funny backstop in case nothing else comes up) for TECH_GUIDANCE_SYSTEMS:
The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't.

Updated the main post with all submissions I'm currently aware of.

Still lots of glaring holes where techs haven't had any suggestions... A lot of good ones. We'll start voting on some soon and I'm curious if y'all want to vote on the sound clips from all who wish to record them at the same time? Obviously, some come with their own since we can get a file converted from youtube.

The three lines I proposed for Amusement Parks are actually separate quotes, I should have probably formatted that better. Also the first few I proposed under where I mentioned Evolution Theory are actually for Biology, in case we move the current Biology quote to Evolution Theory, which is still my main proposal.

I'll keep trying to think of stuff for the other examples, and dig into Brainyquote every once in a while, like I've been doing.

TECH_MANEUVER_WARFARE
Maneuvering with an army is advantageous; with an undisciplined multitude, most dangerous.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I have a quote for consideration for TECH_INFORMATIONAL_WARFARE:

"The nineteenth-century liberals overlooked, and the twentieth-century liberals decline to face, the fact that teaching everyone to read opens minds to propaganda and indoctrination at least as much as to truths." - James Burnham, Suicide of the West

Or if that is too long, maybe this shortened version:

"Teaching everyone to read opens minds to propaganda and indoctrination at least as much as to truths." - James Burnham, Suicide of the West

EDIT

Might have thought of one for TECH_MECHANICAL_REAPERS:

"They hired men with scythes so sharp,
To cut him off at the knee,
See how they served Sir John Barleycorn,
They served him bitterly." - John Barleycorn, English Folksong

Might not completely fit with Mechanical Reapers, but at least it is still about reaping!

Last edited:
TECH_MECHANICAL_REAPERS
Safety restrictions offline. Harvesting servos engaged.
-Foe Reaper 4000, Hearthstone

TECH_RADIO_JAMMING
Ooh yeah! All right! We're jammin'; I wanna jam it wid you. We're jammin', jammin', And I hope you like jammin', too.
-Bob Marley and The Wailers, "Jamming"

TECH_SWEPT_WING
The Hunter shrieked again, and with one powerful sweep of its wings, it propelled into the air.
-Daniel Blackaby, Earthly Trinity

In my opinion Evolution Theory should be renamed "Theory of Evolution". ALso the Tech Social Justice should be renamed to "Civil Rights" with the same quote by MLK.

Agree with you on the former, but I feel the latter is already covered (icon and all) by Minority Rights (in fact, I can see a case for renaming that tech to Civil Rights, although I can also see a case that at least some elements of the latter should be a Renaissance era tech ("Rights of Man"? With associated national wonders; heck, we could throw in later things like the UN Declaration (not that that'd inherently have to be connected to the in-game UN), perhaps linked in some way to Medieval's Warrants and Decrees (the medieval world contributed considerably more to modern conceptions of rights than is often acknowledged). I'm not exactly sure where social justice is meant to fit in the tech tree, but if it's a late Atomic/Information era tech I would suggest something like "Intersectionality Movements", as that seems to track the contemporary usage of that term. (If its meant to represent 19th century movements, I feel like Labour Unions would cover that territory, though maybe a new tech prior to Women's Suffrage representing the first-wave feminist movement would be a good idea also.)

Top Bottom