Tech Shrub

SygmaZero

Chieftain
Ok, I still can't make any sense out of the Tech Shrub (this mess is no tree). This isn't a rant, I love the game but I still pick techs based just on what I need at the moment and as the game changes. Can you read the "paths" off the tech tree chart? In other words, how do you determine which techs will be available/unavailable to research based on the previous techs researched? I always picked up the previous Civ tech trees very easily, but this one is still a mystery...

Drawn lines are "or" links (unless that is the only line)
The icon(s) in the upper right of the tech is/are the required techs.

Example: Pottery
Pottery has 2 lines, one from Fishing and one from Agriculture. Only one of these techs needs to be researched.
Pottery also has an icon in the upper right, The Wheel. This means that The Wheel is required to be able to research Pottery. This means there are 2 paths to Pottery:
Fishing/The Wheel => Pottery
Agriculture/The Wheel => Pottery

Hope this helps

or just click on a tech and all the required techs to get to this will be highlighted ;)

Right right, I was being somewhat sarcastic... I can read the tree. My question is... does researching a particular path of certain technologies prevent you from researching others until a later point?

This is is the impression I've been getting from other posts on here and from playing the game (could just be all in my head)

it depends very much on the difficulty setting, IMO. At higher levels you might want to specialize and ignore some techs, and try to build Internet.

SygmaZero said:
My question is... does researching a particular path of certain technologies prevent you from researching others until a later point?

Well, if you mean the "either-or" choices, that just means you don't HAVE to research both paths leading into the tech that has the "or" choice... but you can still do so if you want. AFAIK nothing prevents you from going back and picking up techs you missed first time 'round. (That's not to say there mightn't be some such "stopper," just that I haven't hit it.)

I just feel like there's something I'm missing... maybe I'm just missing a prerequisite. There's also those warnings along the lines of... "Don't ignore the earlier techs, it can cost you later, blah blah blah.

I thought in one of the iterations of Civ, what you researched one turn dictated what you could/could not research the next immediate turn regardless of what prerequisites you had depending on the type of technology (scientific, military, economic, etc.).

no. you can always research anything you have the prerequisets for.

what you researched last, has no impact on what you CAN or CANT research now.

The reason you may fall behind is when researching only expensive tech's all the time, you soon find yourself with few techs, and not able to build much of what you need....... It may be wise to have the right economical fundament before researching the really expensive techs.....

Top Bottom