1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech Trading and other obsolete features...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cman2010

cman2010 King

Like other things they took out for no reason, it was removed and replaced with RAs, just one more way they craped up the game.

2. Morgrad

Morgrad Attack Rodent

RAs seem really broken to me, though tech trading did not. If I can get RAs with most Civs running at the same time, and research the cheap techs myself, then I end up with a massive tech lead while I stomp my neighbors into the ground with 1upt troops.

I went back to Civ IV... and am hoping something lures me back to Civ V and keeps me there.

3. cman2010

cman2010 King

dont hold your breath they seem to be all about striping the game down, and adding new crap features like RAs

4. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is this: Let's say the average tech tier of all techs of all civs is 5. Then a tech of tier 6 would, for example, cost an additional 30% beakers on top of its base cost, a tier 7 tech would cost an additional 80%, a tier 4 tech would only cost 75% and so on. This would lead to backward civs researching more cheaply and let them catch up, and make getting a tech tree or deep beeline much more expensive and less powerful.

That's not really the fault of the design but of AI. Tech trading felt much more broken to me because it warped gameplay more: What you wanted to research wasn't about what was best for your civ, but about what you could trade to the AI more easily. RA have less of an influence on gameplay, they merely encourage you to a somewhat broader research, which is actually a good thing. Both are primarily AI failures but tech trading also warped gameplay big time in MP while RAs should not.