tech tree and upgrade path need fix

pietro1990

Prince
hello forum,

so i have been playing civ 6 for a few months now and i noticed a major flaw in the game its the upgrade path of units and the lack of strategic resources. And the placement of units in the tech tree seems a little bit wierdI thought that the fall patch would fix the AI not upgrading uints but is still see crosbowman and other medieval classical units at the modern era. the biggest reason of this is the lack of strategic resources.

In civ 5 for example all military units of the same type fallowed the same tech path for example swordsman upgrade to longswordsman and then to muskemtman all those techs where at the same place at the tech tree same goes for cavalry. The problem with civ 6 is that the AI Fallows a certain tech path and ignores techs that allows them to upgrade their units.

i never seen a infantry unit from the AI only mechanised infantry that’s because they skip the infantry tech and go straight to mech infantry wich results in them not having strong melee units when they don't have niter they can't make musketman and just keep building medieval era units. Same goes for field cannon they just ignore it. I’ve seen lots of classical era and medieval era units in the modern era its really annoying especially if you go for a domination victory.

And the other major problem is the upgrade path in general it doesn’t make any sence. For example unique units like the elephant from india upgrades in to a TANK not a cavalry unit or knight so this means that you’re ancient era unit can’t get upgraded during the medieval and renaissance era wich results in them becoming useless. Same goes for the rough rider(America) it ignores tank upgrade and goes to modern armor so if enemy gets tanks you get destroyed. Not to mention unique units have to be built from scratch you can’t upgrade you’re horseman in to rough rider.

Olso the upgrade path is just weird. Horseman upgrade to cavalry and. Knights upgrade to tanks and not cavalry while you get a tech boos for killing a unit with a knight for military science.. Swordsman upgrade to musketman but if you don’t have niter they are basically useless because you can’t upgrade them to infantry without niter. Only right upgrade path are for the range units of archers , crosbowman , field cannon, machine gun.

Create a tech and upgrade path like civ 5 and the AI Will work just fine.

But what bothers me the most is the bad technology tech tree design upgraded of units don't fallow eachother in the tech tree the AI just go straight for chemistry and ignores all the other upgrades wich results them walking with renaissance and medieval era in the modern era.

It isn’t a issue of bad Ai more a issue of bad balance and awefull tech tree and upgrade path.

Watch this video :

Lots of mods that solve this. Mads Tech Tree is a pretty popular option

Lots of mods that solve this. Mads Tech Tree is a pretty popular option

It doesn't work anymore at the new fall patch or is it just me?

still doesn't fix the lack of strategic resources and upgrade path

"Real Tech Tree" works for the Fall patch. I have also in the past used "8 Ages of Pace", although I don't know if that one is updated or not for the Fall patch.

"Real Tech Tree" works for the Fall patch. I have also in the past used "8 Ages of Pace", although I don't know if that one is updated or not for the Fall patch.

The fact that you need mods to solve this probem prove my point the tech tree needs a fix.

I checked out the mod fixes most of the problems nice. Only upgrade path needs to be fixed now

Last edited:
8 Ages of Pace works with the latest patch. It doesn't modify the tech tree itself though, just the cost of the techs/civics as well as other variables linked to game progression

8 Ages of Pace works with the latest patch. It doesn't modify the tech tree itself though, just the cost of the techs/civics as well as other variables linked to game progression

I like the Real Tech Tree just looked it up and tested it tech tree looks more balanced

You can upgrade past a missing level - so if you are missing niter, you can still upgrade the sword to infantry when you get it. But yes, it will be sitting there for a long time past its best before date. And part of me likes how most unit upgrades skip an era, but some jumps I agree are too much - horsemen have their use early, but then are useless until Cavalry.

But it is weird that you can upgrade a spear to an anti-tank without ever researching the tech for pikemen, for example. And the fact that the anti-tank is on a beeline it's weird to think that they come out as the first "modern" troop by the AI in like 99% of games that I play.

These technicalities don't bother me half as much as the lack of logic in tech prerequisites.

Civ tech trees used to follow a natural progression of science, where you couldn't research a tech without having the technology that in real life would be necessary to develop it. Any technology that involved electricity would be locked behind the electricity tech, and so on.

Civ V and Civ VI completely ignores this important aspect just to make the tech tree look "tidy". Which is an insulting design philosophy that is all too pervasive in these two games. Just like how the diplomacy and city screens in VI are uninformative and cumbersome just so they can look all "minimalist" and clean.

You can upgrade past a missing level - so if you are missing niter, you can still upgrade the sword to infantry when you get it. But yes, it will be sitting there for a long time past its best before date. And part of me likes how most unit upgrades skip an era, but some jumps I agree are too much - horsemen have their use early, but then are useless until Cavalry.

But it is weird that you can upgrade a spear to an anti-tank without ever researching the tech for pikemen, for example. And the fact that the anti-tank is on a beeline it's weird to think that they come out as the first "modern" troop by the AI in like 99% of games that I play.

jep all these problems are exactly are you sure you can upgrade warriors to infantry withouth muskemtman upgrade? then why does the AI do it?

never tried it will see it in my game this sunday if i can do it if so that means that the AI skips replaceable parts

I'd like to see player/ai forced to complete all techs in an era before progressing to the next era, this would stop ai/players era hopping so fast. Anyone know a mod that does this?

I'd like to see player/ai forced to complete all techs in an era before progressing to the next era, this would stop ai/players era hopping so fast. Anyone know a mod that does this?

Simply just adjusting the tech tree so you can't beeling to a era directly would help.

Top Bottom