1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech tree is completely random

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by tylor, Jan 2, 2011.

1. tylor

tylor Warlord

Yeah, another rant.

Is it just me, or tech tree just doesn't make sense?
    Tech prerequisites are random, and what tech grants is often random too.

Chivalry. Prereq - Currency. Leads to Banking.
    Globalization. Prereq - ecology. Mass media is completely different branch. Leads to particly physics.
    Biology. Reveals oil. Leads to Electricity.

And it's just few of examples.

Were they specially trying to make EVERYTHING worse than in Civ1? Or is there some deep meaning in how tech tree looks?

2. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

well .. u can make up diferent stories about how realistic those prerequisites are..
    for example.. you need to discover money,so that you can aford better,and much expensev units..

ecology maybe the same common reason people started comunicating with each other.. etc.

you see? it's fun :)

3. Tulx

Tulx Impossible Creature

Considering that they compressed the tech tree, it's no wonder that it starts to make less and less sense. At least teches are in approximate chronological order.

4. Olleus

Olleus Deity

A lot of them make sense historically, even if they are not logical prerequisites, the way inventions come about required other stuff to be known first.

For example: chivalry came from the feudal system, which is a system based on knights collecting taxes from the poor and giving some of it to there overlord who gives some of it to the king. Hard to have such a formalised complicated system of taxation without currency.

The first banks were opened by knightly orders during the crusades. You could drop your money off you gained from pillaging in a bank in, say, Cyprus; be given a note, ride back safely to France without being mugged for your money, and then take out an equivalent sum of gold back home.

One could say that without currency, there would have been no chivalry, and that without knightly orders, we wouldn't have banks.

5. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

Are you speaking of vassallage?? Because knights do not collect anything (tax collectors do that), their role was different...:confused:

And you are making a lot of confusion between knighted men and armed monastic orders like templars or teutonics..... The first bank was the "Banco di San Giorgio" in Genova....

6. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

I really hoped that the devs would go the direction of 'more smaller techs doing less things' as opposed to 'less larger techs doing more things.' Don't agree with the decision to contract the tech tree.

I prefer more frequent rewards even if they're a bit smaller -- I also like having to make tough choices between techs......

Maybe we'll have a total of a dozen techs in C6 -- each tech will allow the player to make a dozen new units, a half-dozen wonders, buildings, and national-wonders......AWESOME!

7. serikas

serikas Chieftain

Well, it is still better than social policies... :lol:

8. Renergy

Renergy Warlord

Well, at least Biology->Electricity makes some sense to me - ever heard about Luigi Galvani? :cool::)

What I find weird is that you can build a lot of wonders (great lighthouse e.g.) without knowing masonry.

9. Nares

Nares Emperor

That's the first state deposit bank. Way to wikipedia.

I'm sure the tech tree references those armed monastic orders. The Knight Templar developed an extensive banking network throughout Europe, which is probably the link Firaxis used between currency, chivalry and banking.

We'll just tech through whole eras at once. 100 turns til the renaissance...

10. Tesuji

Tesuji Warlord

What I don't like is the lack of possibilities to choose a tech-track to suit your play. The more you progress, the more you need to add stupid techs with no benefits other than them being prerequisite of much more advanced ones. Too little choice, which makes me often pick any one randomly unless I really need something specific. At one point or another I'll be forced to research it anyway.