[R&F] Tech Tree Mod Request

Stigger32

Chieftain
Hi all,

I'm looking for a R&F mod that slows the tech tree advance to a crawl. But doesn't hinder build speed.

In essence I'd like to enjoy a marathon length game but with all the action of a standard speed game.

If anyone knows of a mod that already does this I'd appreciate a heads up. Or if anyone wants to make one....

Only thing re 8 Ages of Pace is that it also gives your units more movement. That may be something you're fine with, but if you're like me (I love movement how it is in VI) you may appreciate having a heads up.

Aren't you going to be out of building options very soon? Or do you just plan to build hundrets of units? Then you'll either have a lot of unused units, or you'll win the game very soon, won't you?

You can try it (if you find such a mod), but I think the game was balanced for certain speed settings.

Only thing re 8 Ages of Pace is that it also gives your units more movement. That may be something you're fine with, but if you're like me (I love movement how it is in VI) you may appreciate having a heads up.

Really? I’d never notice this!

Really? I’d never notice this!
I don't think the units get more movement in 8AoP, but roads are buffed to give more movement than in the base game as the roads upgrade through the eras.

@Stigger32 - you have to consider if you only want techs more expensive, or other adjustments as well. 8 ages of pace also increases the cost of civics and great people, for example, to go along with the greater tech cost, but doesn't adjust build costs. I'm pretty sure I've seen mods on Steam that just adjust tech cost. Something like 3 x tech rate?

Last edited:
I don't think the units get more movement in 8AoP, but roads are buffed to give more movement than in the base game as the roads upgrade through the eras.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

If you can edit XML files, you can also take a mod that you like (like the 8 ages of pace) and remove the edits from it you don't like. So if you like part of a mod, you can basically delete lines from the files that come with the mod that you don't like if you only want some changes (although buyer beware to make sure you don't screw things up).

Reactions: tzu
If you're using the Steam Workshop, there's a collection of mods by Wolf2001 that increases the Tech and Civic costs by certain amounts (among a few other mods). They've not been changed in some time, but they still work perfectly fine. The one that I use increases the cost by 2 (although I've also tried the 1.5). The exact names are "Techs and Civics x [n]" where [n] is whatever value it increases the cost by.

Top Bottom