Tech Tree Static or Dynamic?

dexters

Gods & Emperors
Supporter
^ This quote in the time article seems new, or rather the sames things he said in other interviews but restated.

Tech tree appears to be dynamic and not a static tree per se. Or did I misunderstand Ed?

“In the past, pretty much all the Civilization games worked the same way with research,” says Beach. “You’d pick a node on the technology tree, your scientists would start making progress toward that turn after turn, then you’d have to wait for it to happen. It was a very passive activity. We wanted to make sure your progress in the tech tree was something you had more control over, something where you could push your progress if necessary.”

“So what we’ve done is, for pretty much every technology in the tech tree, we’ve associated a specific activity that’s sort of like a quest. And if you finish that activity, boom, we give you a big credit, about 50% of the science that you need to unlock that particular technology is granted to you.”

“So the tech tree is now set up so that it adjusts itself based on your play style. If you’re playing the game militaristically, all of a sudden the militaristic path through the tree is going to open up and be easy for you. If you’re playing the game building a navy, all of a sudden all of these maritime technologies are going to open up for you. It rewards you for being active in certain parts of the game.”

I read the boldfaced quote as a variation on "you get a research bonus if you complete a quest." But the tree remains the same -- static.

I think the problem with that boldfaced quote is that Ed twice uses the term "open up" which I suspect people are interpreting as "unlock." I'm pretty sure he just means that certain actions will make researching related techs easier rather than unlocking them.

Moderator Action: Moved this to a separate thread. The Civ6 Articles thread is for a list of articles concerning Civ6, not for discussing them. Please start thread in the main Civ6 forum to discuss the various articles. Thanks.

I read the boldfaced quote as a variation on "you get a research bonus if you complete a quest." But the tree remains the same -- static.

This is how I interpret it as well. The tree is static, but the way you move through it will change from one game to the next because terrain and your choices will promote different paths of least resistance each game (according to their design intent).

Dynamic tech trees work better for Stellaris, where it is a futuristic game unbound by any notion of history, than they would for Civ.

Especially with "only half" the techs from Civ 5 available I don't see how there could be a lot of dynamic stuff be going on anyway. The number of techs per age will be limited enough that the tech tree will probably have a lot of linear stuff going on.

Can we settle in it is a static tree with dinamic tech costs, depending on your behaviour in the game?

:yup:

The dynamic part makes sense insofar as it probably won't be enough to grab coastal access mid-game and crunch through the seafaring techs missed. The costs likely also scale with time or may not be tied to population growth so larger later empires won't be able to grab techs they missed in a few turns.

There may likely be a whole series of buildings in addition to harbour that is requires to get the tech boosts, and # of cities with the same set-up may also further reduce costs to lock in those early start biases.

The dynamic part makes sense insofar as it probably won't be enough to grab coastal access mid-game and crunch through the seafaring techs missed. The costs likely also scale with time or may not be tied to population growth so larger later empires won't be able to grab techs they missed in a few turns.

There may likely be a whole series of buildings in addition to harbour that is requires to get the tech boosts, and # of cities with the same set-up may also further reduce costs to lock in those early start biases.

I'm not so sure. Seems to me that if the bonus is half the research you can still wait an era or two and get the tech easily. It also depends what sort of quests you will have.
My guess is that early research will have to do with terrain and resources and fighting barbarians and easy to catch up (this is based on the example of query for masonry) so even a landlocked will be able to embark, develop sea resources and figure out how to build a harbor district soon after they expend to the shore. Some of those things even before if you have enough educated people to figure out what to do with this new liquid terrain.

Top Bottom