Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
I had expected someone to put up a poll about this already.

Discussion thread
Information about all technologies

Simple plurality wins, poll is public, open for 2 days, however the Designated Player (me) will use the result as of 11.00 GMT Friday.

Options:

Literature
Drama
Philosophy
Engineering
Compass
Theology
Education
Gunpowder
Abstain

I voted Education, as it will give us Universities and it leads to Liberalism, a crucial tech.

If we want these wars to end quicker, not slower, we need to get Literature, which takes us only 2-3 turns. We still have long buildqueues with courthouses, markets, grocers and banks, and it will take long before we will build universities.

We need Heroic Epic, as we polled, and National Epic, which will be useful in Berlin for the Great People factory. So please be consistent and vote Literature.Getting Heroic Epic now is essential for the war effort, delaying it is lame duck, and you get your slow and expensive war.
30 hammers in Coppertown would be 60 hammers for producing military units. This is about a maceman a turn.

Voted Literature for HE and NE.

The sooner we get the whole continents and wars end, the sooner we can
advance in techs.

Best regards,

Please write into the poll the number of turns it takes to research those techs at a certain % research. Otherwise it is very biased.

Literature: 2 TURNS
Drama : 3 TURNS
Compass: 3 TURNS
Theology: 4 TURNS
Philosophy: 7 TURNS
Engineering: 9 TURNS
Gunpowder: 11 TURNS
Education: 14 TURNS
Replaceable Parts: 16 TURNS

I am sick and tired of being the only one blamed for misleading and flawed polls. I am getting to the point that I see the single-sided "directions" are politically biased and has nothing to do with the game.

Writing up the number of turns per tech is essential. Again, this poll came out too late, in my opinion. I think Monday was just in time for Friday.

For example, the OP wants Education. That is a given. The petty thing here, is that the 2 Turn Literature is measured as equally important to a 14 turn Education.

In the same time we would have researched education, we could have researched:

Literature
Drama
Compass
Theology/Philosophy

We could have researched 4 techs we could have put into the pipeline.
Heroic Epic and National Epic are alone worth a detour.

If we choose Literature NOW, not later. We will have Heroic Epic up and running in 10 turns, 2 turns for research, and 8 turns for the build in Coppertown. Ignoring a double military production in what the majority consider our main military city would be incredibly stupid.

We still need to build several builds before we go on with universities.

I am sick and tired of being the only one blamed for misleading and flawed polls.

Sorry, I have to disagree that you're the only one. Remember the longbow? :rolleyes:

On the subject of this poll, I do agree that the duration of research is a critical factor. The poll is also flawed because it does not account for a tech path, it only touches on the first tech to be researched. If a short tech wins, the DP would likely have complete freedom to pursue his own tech agenda. I am equally against the possibility of proceeding along a tech path without citizen approval as I was against military planning which did not accept citizen input.

I happen to also agree with the Chieftain's disappointment that this wasn't handled earlier by the responsible official.

I voted Education, as it will give us Universities and it leads to Liberalism, a crucial tech.

To get the most out of liberalism, we need to research some pre-reqs for expensive techs. It wouldn't do to have our free tech be something useless like Drama. This won't really happen, it's a joke, but I do think we should stretch the free tech if we're able.

I still think we need Heroic Epic now. I do not think slingshot should be the priority, when the people above all want this continent for themselves.

Now I have lost everything in the polls making it easier, at least make Coppertown do Heroic Epic right now.

I interpret this poll as leaving option number 2 to be the runner-up in case the other wins, right?

Please write into the poll the number of turns it takes to research those techs at a certain % research. Otherwise it is very biased.

The link I provided has the base cost of all techs.

To get the most out of liberalism, we need to research some pre-reqs for expensive techs. It wouldn't do to have our free tech be something useless like Drama. This won't really happen, it's a joke, but I do think we should stretch the free tech if we're able.

We need Philo for Liberalism. That means we can pick Nationalism as our free tech, a worthy choice IMO.

Sorry, I have to disagree that you're the only one. Remember the longbow? :rolleyes:

On the subject of this poll, I do agree that the duration of research is a critical factor. The poll is also flawed because it does not account for a tech path, it only touches on the first tech to be researched. If a short tech wins, the DP would likely have complete freedom to pursue his own tech agenda. I am equally against the possibility of proceeding along a tech path without citizen approval as I was against military planning which did not accept citizen input.

I happen to also agree with the Chieftain's disappointment that this wasn't handled earlier by the responsible official.

You guys scare people off, by either complaining about too early polls, or too late polls. I argued that we should have fixed days for certain activities, like discussions and polls, but that also fell for dead ears. First it is the Romans, then the Germans, then Romans again.

Setting up a poll 3-4 days ahead of a TC should be encouraged, not bullied, that is my take on it. Especially Methos, that wants a TC at least every 5 day. I was in my full right to put my polls up Monday.

If someone really really really want Tuesday, do write that, and not complain the day after. I happen to ask for the technology poll, and you guys, said "WAIT".
Here we are, with another pitiful situation, thanks to a lack of consistency of opinion. Either someone distracted Mike from posting the poll or someone discouraged him. I have seen him in the forums, several days in a row now.

The link I provided has the base cost of all techs.

We need Philo for Liberalism. That means we can pick Nationalism as our free tech, a worthy choice IMO.

Then we should ask the Germans for both Philosophy and Liberalism after Essen, and see what we can get.

And Ori, you were perfectly fine with this poll, because you agree on the research goal?

And Ori, you were perfectly fine with this poll, because you agree on the research goal?

No - while you seem to believe that I am hacking on you for whatever reasons: that is not the case.
This poll does not in any way prejudice one choice over another, the OP links to the discussion AND to essential further information AND has posted all (as far as I understand it) possible tech options. So what exactly is it that should have been criticized? - the times needed for researching could have been included, but the discussion should have focussed on that and the previous tech polls did not always list them either.
You are right though that listing the turns is better than not listing them. Listing the tech costs as done here though is almost as good.

Geez, someone doubleposted a couple of times or were some posts deleted? Some topics are already tough to chew but doubleposting doesn't make it easier. There's an -button too!

No - while you seem to believe that I am hacking on you for whatever reasons: that is not the case.
This poll does not in any way prejudice one choice over another, the OP links to the discussion AND to essential further information AND has posted all (as far as I understand it) possible tech options. So what exactly is it that should have been criticized? - the times needed for researching could have been included, but the discussion should have focussed on that and the previous tech polls did not always list them either.
You are right though that listing the turns is better than not listing them. Listing the tech costs as done here though is almost as good.

I think we should add specific rules for specific polls.

Tech polls should always include the number of turns wanted, and the runner up tech following with it. These two techs should come from the discussions, and only proposed technology-lines should be polled. Then we would be down to the proposed tech-lines, not the in-game options. As it is now, we poll all of them at once, which just prove confusing if an option got no sponsors or supporters.

Only counting techs that can currently be researched, there are potenially 56 different paths (currently). This would easily be too many, even if only a fourth are requested (14). If we expanded the potenial lines to ones that are unlocked with research, there would be about 62 paths (currently). Again, that would prove to be unwieldy.

Also, what would happen if the tech line is finished before the TC is finished?

This poll is nearly perfect, the only way in which it could be better is if the tech times was on the poll. Also, I keep a current list of techs and affects in my office.

I vote for literature with next tech music (Great Artist), drama will be the same for me.

Literature for HE in Coppertown :)

Top Bottom