Techs 1740 AD

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
Tech/Cost/Benefits/Current Rate/0%/100%

Theology: 715 beakers, enables Theocracy, leads to Divine Right.
Music: 858 beakers, can contruct Cathedral, can build culture, leads to military tradition
Economics: 2002 beakers, enables Free Market, leads to Corporation
Chemistry: 2574 beakers, Workshop +1 hammer, can train Grenadier, Frigate, leads to Biology, Steel, Steam Power
Scientific Method: 3432 beakers, Obsoletes Monastry, reveals Oil, leads to Communism, Physics, Biology

Turns at 0% science (Music/Economics/Chemistry/Scientific Method): 2/2/4/5/8
Turns at current science rate (Music/Economics/Chemistry/Scientific Method): 1/1/2/3/4
Turns at 100% science (Music/Economics/Chemistry/Scientific Method): 1/1/2/2/3

Possible paths (this list does NOT include all possible paths, you're free to add your proposed tech path):
Music (858) - Military Tradition (2860): Can train Cavalry, can build West Point
Economics (2002) - Corporation (2288): Can construct Wall Street, +1 traderoute/city
Chemistry (2574) - Steam Power (4576): Can train Grenadier, Frigate, reveals Coal, +50% worker speed.

Techtree

Personally, I would like to do Chemistry - Steam Power as it will improve the speed at which our workers build improvements and it reveals coal, an important resource. I would like to let Steel and Railroad follow these two techs. That will allow us to build railroads and the Ironworks, improving our productive capacities even more.

I support chemistry and steam power as our two next techs, we need that for the navy, the military and the industrial revolution.

I also do agree to the steel and railroad route next. I have always been big on controlling strategic resources first.

I foresee a problem with polling this issue, as all techs can be finished relatively quickly. As I don't want to shorten the turnchat, I will have to give orders for 3 or 4 techs. So I think it's best to poll which tech we should do first, and determine which paths are desired based on that poll. If there is time before the next TC, I could also post a poll about the second tech we should research. Another solution that crossed my mind was having a multiple choice poll with all techs we could research in the next 10 turns, but I can see a lot of issues with that too.

MOCK POLL draft 1
Techs 1740 AD Poll 1

Options (cost in beakers):
Theology (715)
Music (858)
Economics (2002)
Chemistry (2574)
Scientific Method (3432)
Abstain

Discussion Thread
Science Department
Techtree
Tech information

This poll will be open for 2 days to allow for a follow up poll to follow.
This poll will be public.

Interpretation: The single option with most votes (excluding Abstain) will be the first tech to be researched in the next turnchat. The second option will not necessarily be the second tech to be researched. That decision is up to the Head Scientist. In case of a tie, the Head Scientist will decide between the leading options.

/end poll

Thoughts, criticisms and suggestions are appreciated :)

I think you should only poll beelines presented in the discussion, since beelines not mentioned in the discussion should not be polled. I think that is an important argument.

I nominate the following beeline: (to be amended for the next tc of course)

PROPOSED BEELINE 1740 AD
Chemistry: 2574 beakers, Workshop +1 hammer, can train Grenadier, Frigate, leads to Biology, Steel, Steam Power

I think you should only poll beelines presented in the discussion, since beelines not mentioned in the discussion should not be polled. I think that is an important argument.

I nominate the following beeline: (to be amended for the next tc of course)

PROPOSED BEELINE 1740 AD

I wouldn't want to exclude people who didn't participate in the discussion in time from voting for their preferred option. mostly because they'd sue my ass off

I'd like to see us research theology and divine right as our first two techs. I believe that building Versailles should be a priority for us, that wonder will act as another palace and will reduce our maintainance costs a good deal. Other than that I'd go after economics, so that we can build Wall Street in EA. Increasing our gold output and decreasing our maintainance costs should be a large priority now that we will be capturing and building a good number of new cities.

I am for taking Divine Right and Versailles - given Great Engineer.

Versailles has already been built by the Aztecs.

I guessed:

The same partners that want more miserable cities because maintenance is
not a problem, in one thread, in another thread want research techs, even
already built Wonders because maintenance needs to be reduced.

No need to comment.

Best regards,

We need those cities for us to avoid foreign powers settling our shore.

Fed I don't know about you but I see room for 4 really good cities, filling in our territory completely will of course result in junk cities, but I'm sure we could allow an AI to settle a junk city and just take these 4 good sites.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I like the proposal of chem-steam-steel-railroad.

With a huge empire like this, railroad will be great for offense (if we decide to start a war after railroad) and defense. One unit can have access to help protect a few different cities with only one turn's notice.

One option is to put steel before steam power. That would allow us to start Ironworks earlier. Cannons (requiring steel) are also quite nice as they bombard, do collateral damage, and as cityraiders are useful against riflemen/grenadiers.

About new cities: If we must choose 4 new cities, then the suggested by
grant2004 are indeed the best ones.

But the game is far from its begin, so a new city has less time to grow,
develop and pay back (a site that is just somewhat good shall not pay).

Best regards,

Is the mock poll okay with everyone?

I have no objection to the mock poll.

I also do agree to the steel and railroad route next. I have always been big on controlling strategic resources first.

Note that with our empire's current large size, and the expected expansion, we are very likely to have coal and aluminum available to us as soon as we get the techs necessary (provided a couple turns to mine it), and oil available on land as soon as we can build a well.

In my experience those resources aren't much of a worry for empires that control about 40% (or more) of the world's land.

Poll posted in the Polls sub-forum :)

Top Bottom