1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tectonics? Like it or not?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by NintendoTogepi, Jul 11, 2008.

1. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

What is your favorite setting for it?

I find for the most "playable" and "normal" maps, 60% earth is the best. 70% earth is also alright but is a bit too seafarring.

Simulated Earth is interesting, but I think I prefer Earth2 for that.

I love the Islands setting. Try Islands with Wet Climate. It'll be the most sea filled game you've ever seen. :D :eek:

One thing I don't like is the Pangaea setting. Although I like the default Pangaea map, the Tectonics Pangaea has WAAAAY too many plains. There are massive stretches of land with nothing but plains, maybe a cow resource if you're lucky., and a wheat resource if you're very very very lucky. It's all useless land.

There's usually only a few good areas in Tectonics Pangaea. A recent game as Wang Kon, I was in an inland area with tons and tons of rivers, grassland and floodplains. I dominated the game, won a very easy space race.
    But more reliably is a coastal empire. I had another game as Roosevelt where nearly every city was coastal, with only 3 or 4 not.

So what do you think of tectonics?

2. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

I haven't tried tectonics yet but based on this summary I'm not sure I will. A few good areas with large areas of desolate waste? Sounds rather imbalanced to me; the start position in a regular game is already a large factor in how difficult the game is, this sounds worse.

I'm sure there are good points too ..

3. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Africa is always best on earth maps. No mountains or deserts if I pick wet climate. Build a city in Egypt to cut off everyone else and fill up the whole continent. Pangea is too much plains as everyone knows. The 60% and 70% maps usually put me on a long 2 tile wide stretch of land so I get cut off. Islands hasn't enough islands.

4. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

I'm still playing my first tectonics game. It's interesting, to say the least. I initially thought I was isolated, but it turns out I had a whole sub-continent/larg island to myself with a very narrow stip of land connecting me to a main continent. It was excellent because I was far enough away from the other civs to expand without compition, but close enough to trade.

There are a lot of plains, though. London is almost all plains.

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Not too impressed with it. The latitudes terrain types appear at are messed up, so you see stupid things like grassland embedded in the pack ice practically every time. The land percentage also doesn't seem to be correct on some occasions,

6. MyOlde

MyOlde Chieftain

I just played tectonics as it comes out of the box -- 70% -- and I ended up with an immense continent. I was going for a domination victory (I've won one of those before on fractal) but I missed it. I'd swear there's much more land in tectonics than fractal, unless it was just the luck of how this one generated.

Give it a try, you might like it. I didn't experience vast expanses of wasteland.

7. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

It yields things which - initially - don't seem to make a lot of sense, such as grassland/forests surrounded by ice, and plains as far as the eye can see.

However, when you think about this, this is much more earthlike than a lot of other custom maps, and a lot less predictable. The 'streaking' effect you got on other map types (a strip of plains, then grassland, then desert, then grassland, then plains, typically) is gone, and it seems much more unpredictable. Yes, there are largely uninhabitable areas, but wouldn't you expect that on an earth-like map?

Another thing worth mentioning is that the tech pace will be slower thanks to all the plains.

In summary - yeah, I love tectonics.

8. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

I reckon such maps favor the AI because they can afford lots of mediocre cities on that crappy terrain which the human cannot...

9. EweezE

EweezE Dog Soldier

I play a lot on the Tectonics maps. Settings: Large, 60% Water, Low Seas, Temperate or Tropical climate, No Ice! The No Ice is great cause you can settle all the way to the poles. Generate some maps and check it out. I prefer Tectonics with these settings over any other maps right now. It might be a while before I'm bored of them too, cause they're pretty interesting. Only con is that you'll get a lot of plains in some areas. Spawning around the plains isn't the best.. I'd give Tectonics a 4/5.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

More random than any other single map script, very good thing IMO.

11. Womf

Womf Chieftain

Tectonics has been my favourite map script over the past two years ; it generates much more interesting landscapes. Lots of choke-points and mountain ranges.

The start positions doe tend to be a little unbalanced but I can't say that bothers me too much.

12. Plinko16

Plinko16 Warlord

I love tectonics so far. . . it's challenging and interesting. I've gotten a lot of really oddball continental formations that made discovering other Civs a challenge.

I've also seen some serious challenges in city placement, though I think it may be weakening my city-placement skills since good city locations seem to be more obvious.

13. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I'm playing a game tectonics pangea now as Peter. I have grassland in my starting area, but after that, a vast stretch of plains that evenutally leads to a mountain range far to the west. It makes city placement difficult. I cant wait for irrigation to spread farms and also for Biology. It seems like a decent start for Russia though.

14. brades

brades Warlord

Does it seem to anyone else that on tectonic maps you are really cramped with the other civs? So far Ive done 2 games on tectonics and both times ive had neighbors capitals cultural boundaries about 8 tiles from me. In one game I only managed to build 1 other city before the land was gobbled up and this was on a large map. I was thinking about decreasing the # of civs or something.

15. Lugh

Lugh Prince

I don't see those settings available in 3.17 Tectonics, they're greyed out. Guess you're using an older script?

Interesting maps, very varied. Some maps full of plains, others not so much. I like it on balance.

16. EweezE

EweezE Dog Soldier

I'm using 3.17 Tectonics, didn't know there was any previous version of it. You need to create a custom game. If they are still greyed out then don't worry. Launch a Terra map with Low Seas and Tropical climate, then quit. Create a new Tectonics custom game and your Terra options will be in the "greyed out" boxes... it is a glitch that I figured out. Try it and maybe you can get rid of some of those plains.. You'll still get plains, but maybe not as much. Temperate, Low Seas is probably better than Tropical, Low Seas based on my previous games on Tectonics. I alternate between the two though every other game..

17. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

Tectonics is fun. Even more unpredictable than Fractal. I've had good and bad locations--one where my entire south region of the country was protected by mountains, a game with Carthage where I was stuck on a peninsula (but with a lot of rivers and flood plains around to abuse Financial), and a not so good map with England near the North Pole with virtually all forest tiles and a grand total of four hills and four river tiles in my empire.

18. OnmyojiOmn

OnmyojiOmn Prince

I cannot stand Tectonics-style scripts. The idea is fine, but I find that in practice the mountain ranges make for maps that just aren't any fun to play.

19. vreetzak44

vreetzak44 Chieftain

Tectonics are Kewl.

20. Dvalin

Dvalin Chieftain

I liked tectonics at first until I realized almost every time there's long mountain ranges blocking everything. In a Randomized Real Earth (?) game I was in Africa and I wiped out my neighbor to the north and then I was kind of screwed with only 1 land bridge conveniently blocked by one mountain tile...