1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me the positives in CIV5..I heard enough negatives

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Deep_Blue, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Deep_Blue

Deep_Blue Knight

Most of the threads critisize CIV V and contain countless negative reviews on the game.

I didnt play the game till now so please tell me what are the positives?

I heard enough about what is bad with the game, so what is good?

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Ranged units are cool.

Hexes are good.

Social policies are kinda neat.

Graphics are pretty good for the most part.

Naval combat is way better.

There's more good stuff, I'm sure others will have plenty to add. :)

3. milk steak

milk steak Warlord

The little chime that plays after you research a tech is awesome. Pavlovian conditioning at it's finest.

4. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

Aside from the actual bugs (crashing, unbreakable treaties, etc) and AI/interface deficiencies, take every negative you've heard about the game and think of it as positive instead.

No ... seriously ... I'm not joking. Almost everything "negative" element about how this game plays isn't necessarily bad in and of itself. It only becomes a fault when compared to previous CIV installments or other games of this nature.

If you take this game and think of all these negatives as just different, the game plays fairly well and is quite enjoyable.

-- my 2 cents

5. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

You can control everything with a mouse and very few clicks :)

And if you come from civ 1 it might feel as an upgrade.

Everything is very accesable (spell?), and you will most likely only have to play it through 1 time to know everything.

It can be played from age 4-5 years and up and unless you have been playing Civ 4 with expansion packs and mods, you'll be in for a treat.

It has just been released, so there will likely come a lot of updates, so if you find any problems or bugs, you can inform the developer and then they'll hopefully take care of it.

It is fairly stable. (not a lot of CTDs)

If you are able to completely erase your mind and every memory of ever playing any other Civilization game, it is not a bad game.

You can win every game easely nomatter difficulty level.

6. greggbert

greggbert Warlord

* The cycling through units and orders works much better in this version I think
    * Nice, attractive UI with lots of information
    * City states are pretty awesome to play with and give you something to do if things get stagnant with the other civs.
    * The city screen is much nicer, with nice big totals of all your gold, culture, etc...
    * You can buy land to expand your borders more quickly
    * Your cultural borders tend to acquire the best tiles first
    * Workers are easier to manage because improvements generally only modify your tile by 1 yeild, and improvements generally don't decrease the yield, so it's easier to make decisions about what tiles to improve and you can be more subtle about it. A hill with a farm, for example, still provides the same amount of hammers, it just adds a food.
    * Luxuries work better and are more fun to acquire
    * Research model is simplified, the only things you really need to balance each turn are gold and happiness. No tech trading / checking other civs tech every turn.
    * Gold and research are FINALLY SEPARATE! No more annoying "Commerce" and percentage sliders for gold vs research, causing inevitable waste in cities that are still growing.
    * The way cities are defended is much more fun, you can't just stack 20 units in there and give them huge defensive bonuses because they are in a city.
    * Ranged units work the way they should not a weird abstraction (this is not to say that the AI uses them effectively, just that the way they work is better)
    * Citizen management is even better, you can do little overrides to the governor's behavior (such as "always work this tile no matter what specializtaion I choose").
    * The happiness model for getting a conquered city into your empire is simplified and vastly superior in my opinion.

7. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Nice clouds.

8. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Multicore support. I think that's it.

9. schmere

schmere Chieftain

I've seen a lot of good things in CiV. Thanks so much for asking!

First, completely subjectively, it's been a long time since a Civ title kept me up on repeated nights. I'm dog-tired from playing CiV! So, something must be right.

For crashes, I only had one - the graphics went all funky on me once. Not a big deal; hasn't happened since.

Now, the good stuff:
    1) The map is a lot better to look at. Small thing, but when you're playing for hours, it can make a difference.
    2) I've been playing on Prince/King, and haven't noticed that the AI is ALWAYS as bad as mentioned. I've had my butt handed to me a couple of times.
    3) If I want to pursue a different winning strategy, I have to pursue it (and think it through) very early in the game. It is a completely different feel, trying for a culture win, than trying for a conquest win. In Civ IV, it was simply - get big, and if you're big enough, then conquer; if not, tech or culture. But the majority of the game was played (for me, anyway) pretty much the same.
    4) I really enjoy the combat. Again, compared to Civ IV, you have to THINK about your army & its position. In one combat, I tried to take an enemy city with 2 archers and 2 spearmen. I played it through the first time, and lost them all. I was a bit more clinical the second time, changed my approach, and took the city without any losses. Your tactics were never this important in Civ before - I like that.
    5) Congestion. Yeah, I see a lot of complaints about, "I can't move my unit over the other 4 units in front so it goes around and takes too long and I lose the battle WAAAHHH". But, hey, that's real life. Try & squeeze an army through a pass, and it becomes very tough. Why do you think so many castles are built in such out-of-the-way places? Because it's damn tough to take, that's why! The combat simply feels so much more fun, I actually enjoy the end game.
    Now, I'll concede that the AI sometimes makes me scratch my head - clearly some issues there. But it isn't a complete wreck, either. Last night I was beating the snot out of Russia, then they dropped a city on top of one of my trade routes, and shut off access to 10 of my cities! I went from +15 gpt to -35gpt. Now, Catherine is still gonna get creamed, but she bought herself some time with a very clever move.

Basically, I'm enjoying it more than Civ IV, and I've been playing that for 5 years. However, I had given up on Civ before BTS came out - the AI was just too ridiculous to play against at any serious level. I think a lot of people remember BTS, and compare (consciously or otherwise) to it, and CiV isn't BTS - not as balanced, not as complete, not as nuanced - and so they feel let down.

I'm enjoying, but if you're thinking of holding off, maybe wait & see how that first big patch goes through...

10. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

No SoD, combat is fun.

You're not constantly churning out new units, can focus on building if desired.

No road spam.

City states.

Social policies.

Naval game much more interesting.

UU, UB, UA add real flavor to the game.

City defense.

11. Mr.Carbohydrate

Mr.Carbohydrate Chieftain

The landscape is pretty organic. ;)

12. Eddogegr3

Eddogegr3 Warlord

- Notifications are on the 100% right path. Just need some tweaking (like ability to turn on and off)
    - 1upt > SoD
    - Ranged Units
    - Awesome graphics and Audio in Diplomacy screen.
    - City States, great idea.... poorly executed?
    - Cities defending themselves
    - Less Roads!!!!

Outside of these things which I think are huge improvements, the basic groundwork/fundamentals need to be seriously improved upon.

13. Osetjka

Osetjka Gondorian Armor Command

For me it's:

- tying strategic resources to unit quantities

- nice diplomatic tunes for most of the leaders

- generally good graphics

- cities have defense values

Um.. that's pretty much it for me. :confused:

14. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I know its bad style since I just mentioned a lot of positive stuff about Civ 5 but this caught my eye.
    Spoiler :

15. Davor

Davor Prince

I like if I am playing this game and I am too tired, I will not forget to issue an order to a unit because it will remind me before the end of the turn.

16. }{ELL/\/()

}{ELL/\/() Warlord

I like the way navies and embarking works a lot better. Was always a pain building transports. I like how cities can work tiles that are farther away. My favorite part is that its actually feasible in many cases to build "colonies/expansions" in places on the other side of the world without having the ridiculous corruption hit. Can actually secure resources on other continents without having to Great Engineer rush a forbidden palace or something. Im also liking how strategic resources work more now where you are limited by the number of units you can make and sometimes have to weigh buildings vs units.

17. cephalo

cephalo Deity

The game is extremely fun for about 3 days. Hey, not all games can claim that!

18. Andvare

Andvare King

19. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

You have to download it from Steam, so you won't have to carry any box to the garbage can.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Combat is fun, social policies are interesting, city-states can be interesting from a role playing standpoint and still have some of that building for one result effect that makes Civ addictive. The leaders that don't speak English sound cool for about 2/3 of the game. And oceans look amazing.

There are a few things that I like that are often criticized and some that I haven't made up my mind about, so I thought I'd go with ones that people at least would concede aren't major criticisms (except combat, which some still dislike, but I feel is a breath of fresh air to what is, to me, usually the most tedious part of the game).