Tell me where to live too, édition française.

Trajan12

Deity
So, I've got an idea to go into a life/medical science field. So I want somewhere with a uni that is well known in these areas. Also it's good that there be plenty of research institutions or hospitals and things like that for networking.

I've narrowed it down to about five cities I think I would like. Lyon, Toulouse, Nantes, Grenoble, and Bordeaux. That's the current order of preference. No Paris, because it's expensive, housing is scarce, and it's over saturated. I had considered Lille, but I'm from Michigan and thus not into the whole post-industrial thing, so I'd need to learn more about that place. So in each of these cities I've already picked out the major science unis:

Lyon- Claude Bernard University
Toulouse- Paul Sabatier University
University of Nantes
Grenoble- Joseph Fourier University
Bordeaux- Victor Segalen University

As far as the cities go themselves, I lean towards Lyon and Toulouse because they are large cities and would theoretically have plenty to do and plenty of vibrancy. And they are both supposed to be fiscally strong with good outlooks.

I've learned that Grenoble and Bordeaux are good places for scientific research. Bordeaux also has an excellent collection of sculpted architecture and Grenoble is near the Alps.

Nantes I selected because it's so rumoured to be highly livable.

I ideally want to narrow it down to three. But since I'm not familiar with the reputations and interior workings of France I don't know which I would really be more or less inclined towards.

I would probably be there for a year to decide how I like it and how I fair and whether I want to continue. I'm familiar with the employment and political situation and the situation with education btw. I can communicate and I'll have more than enough money to sustain myself over a long period of time with no job. I've learned all the visa and administrative procedures and blah blah. I'm just having trouble narrowing down these choices.

When I have a reasonable top three I'll weigh the option of actually going abroad.

So, anyone familiar with these places, fire away.

I'm familiar with Lyon, and to a lesser extent Grenoble, which is fairly near.

I'm not 100% sure about Claude Bernard, which fac' is it part of?

As for the town, it's alright depending where you live. If it's near Bellecourt or Vieux Lyon, then it's nice. If not, then...eh.

Grenoble is very mountainous, nice air.

Excellent for particle physicists, as it's home of Institut Laue-Langevin, effectively a CERN precursor.

I'm familiar with Lyon, and to a lesser extent Grenoble, which is fairly near.

I'm not 100% sure about Claude Bernard, which fac' is it part of?

As for the town, it's alright depending where you live. If it's near Bellecourt or Vieux Lyon, then it's nice. If not, then...eh.

Grenoble is very mountainous, nice air.

Excellent for particle physicists, as it's home of Institut Laue-Langevin, effectively a CERN precursor.

Claude Bernard is the faculty of science and medicine in the academy of Lyon.

The university is in the Villuerbanne suburb, but it looks accessible by metro. I'll check into the other neighbourhoods.

Claude Bernard is the faculty of science and medicine in the academy of Lyon.

The university is in the Villuerbanne suburb, but it looks accessible by metro. I'll check into the other neighbourhoods.

So Lyon 1? Yeah, my mum studied there. Pretty good for medical sciences, the only thing is since Granche Blanche closed, there's not much there vocationally :/

I can't tell for the university, as medicine is not my field and I don't know how they would rate.

Grenoble is a nice city, with many students. It's in the Alps, nice if you like to go to the mountain. But it's cold in winter, and very hot in summer.

Lyon is nice for food, but I'd consider it too big for my taste.

Bordeaux is on the ocean side, nice if you want to go the beach and do some surf.

Toulouse is the second French city in term of university, very good for aeronautics (I don't know for medicine). Nice weather, 2.5 hours from the ocean, 1.5 hour from the Mediterranean sea, close to the Pyrenées.

It's where I studied, and I'm living one hour from there.

I'm a bit biased, but I'd say Toulouse.

Lyon is nice for food, but I'd consider it too big for my taste.
By "nice" Steph means the centre of french gastronomy.

Yeah, it's large, but it has an amazing public transport system, comprising a metro, local trains, local buses and trams.

By "nice" Steph means the centre of french gastronomy.
Yeah, it's large, but it has an amazing public transport system, comprising a metro, local trains, local buses and trams.
Toulouse also has automated metro, trains, buses, trams...

And in the South West, you'd have Fois Gras, Magrets, etc. People living in this area are said to live longer because the food is healthier.

So now I think I'm pretty sold on Lyon and Toulouse. I'd like to have one more to round it out. I guess if I'm hearing correctly, the main difference between Bordeaux and Grenoble is mountain town vs beach town?

And in the South West, you'd have Fois Gras, Magrets, etc. People living in this area are said to live longer because the food is healthier.

:dubious:

So now I think I'm pretty sold on Lyon and Toulouse. I'd like to have one more to round it out. I guess if I'm hearing correctly, the main difference between Bordeaux and Grenoble is mountain town vs beach town?
I won't say that. In Bordeaux you would have fine wine. Better than Bordeaux.
Bordeaux is perhaps more snobish than Grenoble.

And having one ocean one mountain makes it really different.

Top Bottom