Temp Solution To Blackness Problem

Sovz

Chieftain
Here's a temporary solution on how to solve the "Dark" map problem.

find the following XML file in your default install location - ..\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Technologies\CIV4TechInfos.xml

Now EDIT that XML file the file and replace all <bMapVisible>0</bMapVisible> to <bMapVisible>1</bMapVisible> - you can do this with notepad.

this will mark the map as explored, but at least now you can somewhat enjoy the game.

hope it helps.

Hi,

Sovz said:
Here's a temporary solution on how to solve the "Dark" map problem.

What have you guys for system specs/graphics card? :)

Regards from Publius

I´m sorry olive, but i don´t find that bMapVisible 0 file.

The closest to that I found was this

<ElementType name="bMapVisible" content="textOnly" dt:type="boolean"/>

tutankamon said:
I´m sorry olive, but i don´t find that bMapVisible 0 file.

The closest to that I found was this

<ElementType name="bMapVisible" content="textOnly" dt:type="boolean"/>

Tutankamoon, I believe you are in the wrong file. This looks like a .xsd-file. You should rather search for a .xml-file.

tutankamon said:
sorry...i found it...tried it on 2 different comps....not working for me :confused:

make sure you do a "replace all" and not just replace one of them. I did it and it worked.

I have 1.6ghz Pentium M, 1.25 gb ram and an integrated 8xxx card with no T&L support.

I just have to wait until I go home this winter break to play it on my desktop to get the "full" experience but it works fine now.

It worked on m gf's comp :). It had an ATI card that wasn't SUPPOSED to have the darkness problem, but did for some reason no one has been able to figure out.

Thank u very much to all of u.
I got it working. I only replaced that file ONCE before :lol: :lol: :lol:
No i can run it on 2 different comps...so let see if there are other difficulties.

If not....i won´t be bothered with unveiled terrain.

Has Firaxis said anything to anybody about fixing this black terrain problem? All I see in these fourms are temp. fixes and workarounds. Is Firaxis still sticking to there story about "its your video card, not are programming"? If there isn't going to be a fix soon, the least I would like to hear is that there working on it.

They haven't said anything other than "there was no fix planed" yet. I'm not a programer, but it seems like this means it shouldn't the that hard to fix. *I could be wrong* If it's fixable w/o a lot of man hours invested, I'm sure they will reconsider and include it in a patch.

I did the temporary fix as well, however, one thing that may save your time if you are imputting all the changes of 0 to 1. If you just do some of the very first technologies that might work for you as well, as it basically reveals the entire map when given the tech. If you notice while going through it is already on 1 for the satelites technology. This might save ya'll the hour it took me to go through when I couldn't get the replace all to work.

Yay, it's working but seeing the whole map is not that fun, perhaps waiting for the patch is the only solution.

And my leaderheads are still strange... I only see Sid's teeth on the tutorial. :D

This is a pretty nice quick fix, but it's kind of depressing to have the entire map still be kind of dark. Is there any way for it to all look bright as if you have a unit or city in the area?

I had the problem with my 32mb video card in my laptop. This took care of it straightaway. You guys are the best! You saved me from getting in a big fight with my wife about buying a new machine when we have a kid on the way!

Can't thank you enough!

thanks alot. it worked for me enough to atleast play the game. still cant see things like horses or pigs and the teeth and eyes only leaders

I have an 8xxx Intel chipset. I start with a totally black terrain screen, with units and most resources visible. However, when I build a boat, the ocean squares come in, albiet with some floating blackness. Later, when I get sufficient tech to trade a world map with someone, my earth terrain comes back, except, again, for the floating blackness. Just yesterday, I finally got satalites, and low and behold, the entire world becomes visible with no floating blackness at all. (I have duplicated this on a desktop using an intel chipset, as well as a laptop.) I contend that there HAS to be software reason for the blackness that should be easily fixable!
-eSnaffu

Top Bottom