1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tennis: Australian Open

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Achinz, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Achinz

Achinz Hermit of Huangshan

Who will win the Australian Open men's and women's singles? Despite the injuries affecting especially the women's draw, there are still interesting match ups with the top 5 eg Justine H-A, Kim C, Venus W, Amelie M, Lindsay D. in apparent good form.

And is your choice backed by the bookmakers' odds, nearing the quarterfinals?

2. Matti

Matti Chieftain

Agassi will win men´s singles again but I hope the final was Safin-Ferrero.
    Davenport will win women´s doubles so perhaps she doesn´t win singles. Amelie Mauresmo could win Kim Clijsters but I doubt it. Llodra-Santoro will win men´s doubles.

3. Achinz

Not too bad a forecast!

Men's semi-finals:
    Agassi vs Safin
    Ferrero vs Federer

The local bookmakers have:

Agassi at $2.75 odds
    Federer $3
    Ferrero $6
    Safin $6

(I'd like to see a Safin-Federer final and hope the re-surrected Safin will regain his past place at the top)

Women's final:
    Clijsters vs Henin-Hardenne

Here H-A has the odds at $1.40 to
    KC's at $2.55 (ankle injury a significant factor)

And Santoro-Llodra are into the doubles finals.

4. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

Hmm, the clay court champ vs. the grass court champ from last year.

The Old Man def. Juan-Carlos

I also like Justine. She showed a lot of heart in last years US Open.

5. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

I want a Federer-Agassi Final and I don't care who wins. Federer will be a big star no matter what, I think.

6. Matti

Matti Chieftain

Ferrero didn´t play well the semi-final game so I can´t really say how good Federer is. I don´t see any reason why Safin couldn´t win Federer because Agassi has often been really good in Melbourne and Safin won him.

But what is surprising is that women´s singles is such a boring event nowadays. I remember that about five years ago people were saying that men´s tennis was getting boring and women´s tennis was being more interesting. Now the results aren´t really surprising (although that was a big problem in every event of this tournament) and the game isn´t entertaining. At the same time men´s singles is offering everything except serve-volley rubbish which is great.

7. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

I've been a a fan of Safin for a while. I like the way he plays but I would've preferred Agassi to go through...
    So between Federer and Safin, I say Safin will take it although Federer is playing very good these days.

8. Achinz

Well, some of us got it right near the end:

Men's singles: Federer (def. Safin straight sets!)
    Women's Singles: Justine H-A (def Kim C. in 3 sets)
    Men's Doubles: Llodra-Santoro (def. Bryan bros.)

9. delsully

delsully Prince

Tennis is unwatchable, ace after ace and no volley.

10. Matti

Matti Chieftain

If the speed of ball is 200-240 km/h the game can be pretty unwatchable. However, next Grand Slam tournament is Roland Garros and you won´t really see any aces there.

And anyway, what is good about tennis is that you will serve dozens of serves that certainly aren´t aces and you still have to continue. So many sports are solely concentrated on optimal performances; if the performances aren´t optimal the game just won´t go on.

11. delsully

delsully Prince

I just think that the mens game is turning into a one trick pony. Maybe its the racquets, but it seems as if it's become all power and little finesse. I'll watch the women though.

12. Achinz

In the Australian Open this was not always so. That was what made the Safin-Roddick game (in the quarterfinals IIRC) so absorbing. Despite his reputation as the greatest server of aces today, Roddick was often matched by the speed of return of Safin (and of course the likes of Agassi). I was quite surprised by the long rallies even in men's tennis with the high degree of precision of the passing shots. Ironically then it is the accurate passing shots rather than the aces which seem to discourage volleying at the net.