1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 1 - Fanatikou Science- Give Peace A Chance?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Stuck_as_a_Mac, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

And the best way to get lucky is to manufacture that luck yourself and wield it against the enemy with unwavering aggression. Let put everything we can into taking and holding a scientific edge, so we can take advantage of those forests to build a high-tech war machine to trample our enemies. After all, war is the art of combining training and technology.

2. TheDuckOfFlanders

TheDuckOfFlanders the fish collecter

And you will always find other civ's preparred ot trade for millitary technoligy ,if they don't have it themselfs.I say let's research every millitary tech ASAP.

3. WildFire

WildFire amour

So what after Bronze working? Iron working followed by The Wheel and Horseback Riding? And than maybe trade for alphabet and writing?

4. TheDuckOfFlanders

That would be the idea IMHO.
    And maybe we don't even have to trade these tech's.You know what a strong millitary can do. :D

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

Yeah, when give them something in return, when we can take it from them by force? If they need to trade for bronze or iron, then we know their military is so weak that we can crush them, and as such should. Trade is good, but the spoils of war are better.

6. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

You speak of researching military techs first, while keeping the technological edge... IMPOSSIBLE! You need the non-mil techs to keep up with science, by building libraries and more importantly, change governments.

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

Yeah, but if they research non-mil techs, we can keep the MILITARY TECHNOLOGICAL edge by researching them when they aren't, so we have them and they don't. Then we can bully them into giving us the non-mil techs. ;)

8. Noldodan

If you look at the foreign affairs thread, it seems that we have two radically different strategies being contemplated. Make lots of friends and only declare war when it REALLY looks good, or this route, being a warmongering civ and getting everyone else to hate us and gang up on us. Choices, choices...

9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

Humans don't play like AI. We won't have a real hardcoded reputation. If we can convince a couple of teams that their would be something in it for them if we warred with the other civs, then we wouldn't have to worry about being teamed up on. Launching a sneak attack doesn't make other civs hate us; if we say to the defending civ's other neighbors "OK, we'll sneak attack over here, and the next turn you can attack an undefended flank there, and we'll divide the country in half," they won't mind our irreputable deeds. Plus, humans are smart enough to know not to gang up on a militarilly dominant civ.

10. Noldodan

huh. I had always thought that 3 against 1 was unfair odds. Silly me.

11. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

They are unfair. But as long as they're in our favor, it's not a problem, correct?

12. TheDuckOfFlanders

I agree on that all with you grandmaster.Well have to be flexible ,opportunistic and cotious.Make a good coalition ,make sure our millitary power is more than adequate ,and then start a war or join a war ,toghether with our allies ,and try to take parts of the isolated civ and split it up while maintaining a sort of status quo.
    Diplomacy will be very dangerous and we'll have to be carefull ,but when it come's to taking land we also have to make sure we can grow like the others do ,so that we don't fall behind.

13. Noldodan

ah. But here comes the real question. Why would anyone ally with us, as we would get *most* of the spoils of war, and eventually beat them. Remember, the other teams are out to WIN, not to help others win.

14. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

The good thing about MP games when it comes to war is that you can do abstract diplomacy. In the game, there is no way to say "OK, I'll take this half, you take that half, and we'll destroy them," or "OK, don't join their side and you'll get x number of cities." However, through the diplo chat or on forums, we can say just that, and make better deals, as well as coordinate plans. I agree with Duck that we need to pick a few nations early on to build a permanent coalition, and then be opportunistic scavengers, preying on the weak civs with the help of our allies.

15. TheDuckOfFlanders

Indeed ,but we are 8 team's ,no team can beat the other 7 teams just on there own ,or they would need some extreme luck on certain area's.
    At the start ,most team's will find it interresting to have an ally for the same reason's we want them.To beat other ,isolated nation's togheter and to split up their territory.This mean's expansion for both nation's and opponent's less ,and making those nations stronger than the ones not having conquerd anything yet.But when time come's that only a few powerfull nation's stay alive ,all hell will brake loose.It will be hard to come out the smartes out of that situation.

16. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Though I completely understand why we must have a powerful, up-to-date military, isn't much of the fun in the on-edge diplomacy, not the "I'm killing you and you can't stop me!" diplomacy?

However, when we get our Fanatical Riders, we ought to use them ;)

17. Plux

Plux Emperor

I don't think that scientific and foreign affairs policy discussion belong in one thread.

18. TheDuckOfFlanders

You must admit that the thread title is confusing though. :rolleyes:

Besides ,science is a part of the big picture.We must decide our scientific goal's according to the needs of our general strategy ,whatever it should be.Personally i agree i'm more of a warmongerer type ,but even if youre a more peacefull player ,you have to be realistic ,we are entering a battle arena and were better perpared for the onslaught.