Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
Welcome to the Ministry of Defense

Officers
Defense Minister, General of the Army CivGeneral

Defense Deputy, High Colonel Strider

What is a "poilu"?
Date: 1914
: a French soldier; especially : a front-line soldier in World War I

Ok, this time Im going to try something new, posting screenshots of the military stats page :).

Congratulations.
What is the ministry's policy regarding early wars?
In particular what strategies will be employed and how will the army be organised?

(im just a major huh?, cmon, at least put me up as a friggin normal General, just below General Of The Army in rank)

Id suggest initially a quick expansionism to go with the settler buildup, get those settlers protected first, then we can start the mass build up to fight barbarians. This production of course is used just before building improvements, then we start some killing. If we get a close neighbor, Id kill him ASAP, especially if they will likely block your expansion if were on a big penennsula.

In the end, the ancient age military build up should be a settler-protecting, barbarian-killing, and eliminating nearby civs type in my personal opinion.

Originally posted by Peri
Congratulations.
What is the ministry's policy regarding early wars?
In particular what strategies will be employed and how will the army be organised?

Well, first things first. I would have to create about 5 warriors, Just for exploration purpouses. The number cound will depend on the size of the land we have.

I will try to have the Trade and Tech department to aquire Iron working and once thats done, I will have the Internal Affairs locate a good location of an iron city. The Iron City is the only city connected to the iron resource. Iron City should have a barracks built. Once that is done, the other cities can build warriors and have them head enroute to Iron City to up grade to Swordsmen. Though I would also have to work with the Internal Affairs and the Trade and Sci Dept to make sure we get enough coffers for the upgrades.

I plan to raise an army of 10-15 Swordsmen.

For our Cavalry, I am going to also place Horseback riding on secondary priority (Unless we are lucky to pop a goodie hut). The Cavalry's job in the ancent world will be strictly sabatauge for the time being untill we aquire knights.

(cmon, Im a General! not a Major!)

I doubt they will do that, as the upgrading is too much money to spend initially on military. Science will be a big amount of effort for a long time, so they probably wont do that. I had forgot to write that the extra warriors will be used for exploration while the others initally should be for settler-guarding/Citly Guarding/Barbarian hunting (which can also be an explorer job).

Iagree with the cavalry role though, They can also have a few to explore due to the extra movement. Iron is also my sugesstion for initial research (after bronze working of course). For an offensive against another civ, the cavalry will be essential for tearing up the nation anf to hi their workers if possible. I wouldt tear the country up too badly as having roads already made can help save time though id hit resources.

It's kind of pointless right now to make any military plans as the map has yet to be made.

I would say only to attack a near-by civ if the land is good. Ancient Age wars can be costly, defiantly if a military alliance is formed against you, building swordsmen instead of marketplaces/libries can slow down your growth later on.

I would like to know if the Military Department would think it advisable to take a small group (2 or 3) of warriors for exploration purposes and to seek and destroy the first civ they encounter early in the game, before substantial defenses can be constructed. I think that it would be a good idea to try this, and even if it doesn't work we're only out a couple of warriors without the likelyhood that the war would be waged long enough to see any retaliation at all. If it succeeds, we will have a new city and a good base for expansion in that area.

I support Bootstoots' proposal. An early war is essential to a conquest victory. Using warriors is very risky though. Swordsmen would be better. Building swordsmen instead of Marketplace/Libraries will not hurt growth if we conquer another city.

Well for the first technology I highly reccomend Mathematics for which we can trade for other technology. I think we should wait until we find the surroundings of our capitol (maybe no mountains or hills...). We may have a different outlook on what should go when the Creation is started.

@Sharkey, Swordsmen may be better though they ARE costly. They take time to build without having cities with +10 shields per turn. We probably wont have those type of cities (besides our capitol) until the late Ancient Age and Early Middle Ages. If we realy need Swordsmen, then building warriors and upgrading would be better. We would have to save up to around 400 gold to upgrade 10 swordsmen, for 15 its around 600 gold.

In my opinion, we should build a couple warriors and kill our first neigbor (like Bootstoots said) and go for infastructure and build a good nation peacefully until Longbowmen, Knights and Medieval Infantry.

I agree with amirsan here. I think it would be best if we pursued an early ancient war, one where we get them before they have more than about two cities and have only warriors for defense (excepting scientific civs). In my current game, I got a significant advantage by wiping out Rome in 2900 BC by a lucky lone warrior. If we can quickly build two or three warriors and send them to take out the first civ they can find, we can potentially get a strong advantage, with which we can rapidly expand peacefully (encompassing both the area around where we controlled and the area that our vanquished opponent would have controlled)until the Middle Ages when we get some good offensive units. If we were to wait for swordsmen before attacking, it would be too late to quickly eliminate a civ; instead, we would have to fight a typical Ancient war for a considerable amount of time. And if the RNG doesn't favor us with the early warrior strategy, we wouldn't be out anything other than a small band of warriors, and might even get techs and gold in the peace deal.

yeah, but even with Scientific civs it should work, we just need to do it very early. Our queue must get 3 warriors and sending them in different directions but not too far either (so if we find a civ from one direction we could get the other two warriors to the same front faster).

Reminder! We must also look all around the capitol for the highest and best attack bonus. Look for Hills or Mountains. If we dont have it then it would be best to gather atleast 2 warriors. If its a Spearmen, no less than 3 warriors shoul;d attack.

I agree with this Idea, but we must be cautious as this can backfire very easily. Though despite this risk, I thik we could be in for some major profits by doing this.

Originally posted by amirsan
Reminder! We must also look all around the capitol for the highest and best attack bonus. Look for Hills or Mountains. If we dont have it then it would be best to gather atleast 2 warriors. If its a Spearmen, no less than 3 warriors shoul;d attack.

i didn't know that. do attackers get a % bonus from the terrain??

I think that was just RNG odds rather than terrain, but I could be wrong. As for backfiring, I don't really see how that could happen, the war won't last long enough for them to get in a counter-strike, though it might create animosity which may make them more likely to attack us in the future (if we fail, that is). Still, it's worth that risk.

Originally posted by Bootstoots
As for backfiring, I don't really see how that could happen, the war won't last long enough for them to get in a counter-strike, though it might create animosity which may make them more likely to attack us in the future (if we fail, that is). Still, it's worth that risk.

thats the thing, those ancient civs you attack become a REAL PAIN in the future. Best we make sure that we kill them.

guys, what seems like the idea in the thread concerning prefered victory conditions is a 20K city (i'll edit to provide a link later) this may require coming up with a tech pace that matches both purposes, it seems like the war department's responsibility will be 1)elimination (or at least damaging) of closest cultural rival, 2) control of the contient

a good idea would probably be to go right to iron working, as the 20 K city can work on the collosus, while we find iron. we can then go for the wheel, mainly to provide horse location, and then ceremonial burial to keep the infastructure people happy, or masonary for the pyramids, we can then convince them to go after horseback riding, math, or map making, map making would work well for all(harbors, great light, galleys) i dought much of an early war would gain much suport until knights, unless it's the warrior stumble proposed. the early focus will pobably be expansion and infustructure. i say go for the warrior thing and get knights built, mass upgrades are too costly to gain much suport, remember, if we lose the warrior explorer war thing, we'll have a harder time convincing the citizens for another war, i think we're (the general citizens) are going to be of a war problem than the AI

EDIT: are here it is: click here

Hmm, sounds good to me. Once I get the map tommorow, I should start plotting pathways of where the Warrior Explorers should go, though I will update the plot map everytime we encounter oceans or Mountans.

Top Bottom