1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 1 Nomination Thread - Elder

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Democracy Game II' started by ravensfire, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Position: Elder

This is the Nomination thread for the office of Elder. For this election, this Elder will take control of the first city created.

The Elder is the ruler of a specific city. They are in control of that city, including the allocation of citizens, build queues and all other city-specific settings.

To nominate a citizen for Elder, including yourself, post the name in this thread or PM Ravensfire. In order for a citizen to be accepted for the election, they must accept the nomination by posting in this thread or sending a PM to Ravensfire. Self-nominations are considered automatically accepted unless indicated otherwise. Citizens may only accept one nomination.

All citizens are encouraged to post questions to the nominees about their plans and qualifications for the office. Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to answer those questions.

The election poll will be posted at 6:00 pm, Feb. 24, CST, and will list all accepted nominations, in order of acceptance.

Good luck!
    -- Ravensfire

2. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

Self-Nomination
    I might add a platform tomorrow, but my main concern will be setting up some role-playing and other activities. I will of course take care of the in game aspect too, but that shouldn't be too complicated.

3. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

I nominate Cheiftess, i would nominate you for leader but i already have a horse in that race. (not calling ya a horse anybody)

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I'll accept.

:old: Chieftess for Tribal Elder! :old:

5. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

Seconded both dutchfires and Chieftess' nominations.

I'm pretty torn between the two of you, if you could state why I should vote for you. I'd also like your feelings on synchronizing the initial build queue with the Warlord's plans (which would be based on the citizens.)

6. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

To all candidates:

Although it's hard to make predictions without even seeing the save, what would your goals be early on for your city? What would you build?

Thanks,
    -- Ravensfire

7. Chieftess

I would focus on growth early on. If we have a wheat source, especially on floodplains, we could get a worker out in 7 turns. If not, and if we're a coastal civ with the fishing tech, then we can get a workboat out while our city grows. Then, a worker or settler. But, the priority will be to grow the city - granaries would help, too. In Civ4, workers and settlers use food and shields ("hammers" - I'm old school. :p) to be built, so the more food, the more workers and settlers.

My goal would be this:

worker (irragate tiles)
    Settler (chop a forest or two to get it out quicker)
    Get the city up to atleast size 5-7 quickly.

For the other question - It's really too early in the game right now (we haven't even started!), so I'd really like to see what our starting position looks like before making any long term plans.

8. dutchfire

I personally like worker first in most of my single player games. But if we can grow a population point by building either a warrior or a scout first (or a workboat if we're on the coast near a a sea resource), then that is an interesting option too. If I get elected, then I'll make a spreadsheet as soon as we get the initial save to compare all the different options.

Co-operating with the Chieftain is very important too, as he will make our research decisions. And these research decisions will only work best if supported by the city, and the city can only work best with help from the Chieftain for example, we will need to be researching techs needed for development of our resources and for building city improvements like granaries that can potentially increase the cities effectiveness a lot.

9. chessplayer

chessplayer Chieftain

---deleted---

10. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

Although both candidates spoke well, I shall support Chieftess.

Best regards,

11. dutchfire

Dutchfire's Platform

Who am I?
    I've been playing in the first [civ4] DG. I started out around term 4, and as I total noob I got in office for the first time that term. I was Minister of Science during that term, and some other terms. I've had several other positions during that demogame, including Secretary of State and member of the Judiciary. Sadly enough participation was already dropping when I joined, so I didn't have to run to get an office then.

I've also been Designated Player twice, but with the game already in the medieval age, my :badcomp: couldn't handle it as well as it should. I am running for Designated Player again, and I'm fairly confident that this time my computer will be able to handle it, at least until we get pretty far into the middle ages.

I'm also playing in both Multi-Team Demo Games. In team Innovia I don't have an office, but no-one really has. In team Saber I'm currently Chief Commander. I've played in the Hall of Fame too, becoming Quattromaster, and I'm still playing for the Hall of Fame every now and then.

My plans as Elder

I intend to co-operate with the Chieftain to get our civ in a good position to win this game. In my opinion our first goal should be building workers and settlers to grab land and develop it to get an advantage on the other civs. I don't think we should go straight for any wonders, except maybe the Oracle, depending on our civ. I think that those hammers and beakers should be spend on settlers, workers and axes. Land is power, as can be seen in many higher level games, like for example the Emperor Masters Challenge, written by Aelf.

On a totally unrelated subject, I will try to make the Meta-Game active. On of my plans is to start up something like the Game of the Month, but then with a starting position identical to our start (I'll have to World Build for that). I might also start other competitive activities, depending on interest.

In the role-playing segment, I'd like to give our city things like a flag and a history, together with all role-players here.

Any questions to me, or to my competitor Chieftess?

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Questions for Candidates:

Do you see this position's duties as the type of things that require a lot of citizen input, or things that can be handled without much citizen involvement?

When you play, do you micromanage individual citizens, by policy using the emphasis buttons, or not at all? How would you tend to give DP's instructions for micromanagement? How forgiving will you be if a DP doesn't make a MM change on schedule?

13. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I would like to nominate myself for this position. I know i am the outsider and this is the first time i have run for office.

I would at the start, encourage growth by puhing for a worker to improve the tiles in the city radius. I would then with cooperation with the chieftain push for settlers and miltary units to expand and defend our lands. I would then focus on making the city the greatest in the world, pursuing great wonders and buildings that promote science, production, culture and religion in association with the concern minister and the chieftain.

On DaveShacks question, yes i believe that citizens are an important part of the process to decide the fate of our capital afterall they are the ones that vote and their ideas should be hear.

I would also use the emphasis button but then make adjustments to what we need for example food, then tweak it so it grows but also so that we create enough hammers and gold that we needed.

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Question to the canidate: How will you foster participation within your city?

15. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I would ask for opinions on what the city should be building and possibly introduce votes for buildings/units to be built and act accordingly to them

16. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Warlord

Worker AND a Settler back to back !? How will our city find a chance to grow ?

I'm throwing my hat in the arena! My platform, to allow early city growth and increase the size of our military! I'm also for building a scout, to increase our exploration capacity. I'm against excessive chopping, as trees are the life blood of our people and destroying them is a sin, however, I'm not outright against it if the cause is right. Workers and Settlers will be built when the city is secured, and when we can provide protection for the Settler.

Being that our city will be the most important, and infact, the only city for awhile we'll need to encourage development of development technology and population. So, under my administration we'd see development of food and commerce tiles. Production will take a back to seat to our growth and development of worker technology.

TheAmerican for Elder! Clubs and bread for everybody!

Early Game Build Order
    ----------------------
    Warrior
    Scout (Undecided)
    Worker
    Settler

17. dutchfire

I think the main goal of this office, and any office in general is getting and keeping the citizens involved. Managing a city isn't that big of a deal, but keeping the citizens active is. This demogame will only be fun if we are with a large group of relatively active citizens. The result of the game is important, but having fun while playing the game is the most important thing.

In my own games, I usually manage my most important cities on the level of individual citizens. Certainly in the beginning of the game when the biggest difference can be made. When I get tens of cities, I tend to become more sloppy in the city management of the less important cities.

I think I've answered this question in my platform, I will try to set up activities for the citizens.

18. Chieftess

Yes, gameplay would focus on citizen input, as well as a general goal. I would micromanage the citizens by showing where to place the tiles and what to do when the city grows. While the "Emphasize XYZ" is much better in Civ4, I still prefer doing it manually. (I think there's a bug in vanilla where the governor starves the people sometimes if you use certain options).

Also, if the DP makes a mistake, I'm not that PI/CC happy. :p I would find a way to adapt to it, though.

One more point - the other candidate brought up wonders. Early on, the city will not build wonders unless:

1 - We're industrial or have stone, or a combo of both.
    2 - A wonder takes less than 5-10 turns (stonehenge, oracle - those are two nice ones).

The reason is that to focus on wonders, you lose focus on building cities, infrastructure, and units to defend yourself.

Discussion threads. I'll also make a City thread (harkens to the old demogames) so that people can roleplay inside of the city.

Not nessecarily back to back. I would give it a chance to grow. It really depends on the situation - like I said, I'd rather see the map first. If we have tons of forests and floodplains/wheat/cattle, for example, I may be more inclined to try the worker/settler gambit. Yes, it is a tactic that may stall you in the short term, but increases your production in the long term as you have an extra city out early. I've seen it work, too.

Due to the nature of this being a forum game, this is FAR too much micromanagement. Do you really want to look through two pages of polls late in the game?

However, cities should focus on certain duties. If a city is high in food, it should be a worker/settler city. If the city has tons of forests or hills, then it should be a production city. If a city has a lot of water (oceans/lakes/rivers), or just plain nothing but grassland, it should be a cottage city producing commerce (by that, I don't meant "Wealth", I mean cottages/villages/towns).

19. dutchfire

If he made a minor mistake, I wouldn't mind that much. However huge screw-ups are unforgiveable. The question now is where the difference lies. Well, I think that micromanaging that is vital to our main goals should be done perfectly. For example getting the first worker out in time with the needed worker techs is important. Or micromanaging so that your CoL slingshot with the Oracle (if we go that route) works out perfectly. Micromanaging errors that only lead to a few hammers or some coins being wasted wouldn't be too bad, but if we have a DP who makes these errors, and a DP who doesn't, then I do know for who I'll vote in the next DP election.

20. Shattered

Shattered Lord of Utopia

i would like to nominate myself for this position

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.