Term 1 Nomination Thread - Judge Advocate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Position: Judge Advocate

This is the Nomination thread for the office of Judge Advocate.

The Judge Advocate is a member of the Judiciary. As with all members of the Judiciary, the Judge Advocate will resolve and clarify any questions of our laws, investigate any possible violations of the laws and review amendments to the Constitution. The Judge Advocate also serves as the procecution during a trial.

To nominate a citizen for Judge Advocate, including yourself, post the name in this thread or PM Ravensfire. In order for a citizen to be accepted for the election, they must accept the nomination by posting in this thread or sending a PM to Ravensfire. Self-nominations are considered automatically accepted unless indicated otherwise. Citizens may only accept one nomination.

All citizens are encouraged to post questions to the nominees about their plans and qualifications for the office. Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to answer those questions.

The election poll will be posted at 6:00 pm, Feb. 24, CST, and will list all accepted nominations, in order of acceptance.

Good luck!
-- Ravensfire

I nominate LockesDonkey (I hope I spelled that correctly) as he has proven to be good with laws and rules.

I nominate LockesDonkey (I hope I spelled that correctly) as he has proven to be good with laws and rules.
Accepted. Many thanks.

To all candidates:

The last duty any Judge Advocate wants to perform is that of presenting the case against a citizen during a trial.

1) Do you feel you can adequately present a case that you don't believe in?
2) Do you feel you can adequately present a case against a citizen whom you have a great deal of respect for?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

I've done mock trial and policy debate and Model UN. I've presented the antithesis of my ideas as my own before. I'm confident I can do it here.

Thanks to Nobody in particluar for my nomination. I shall accept.

Definitely. Anyone who knows me knows that I hold our laws in the highest regard.

I have an example that would prove a converse argument. During donsig's fabled sojourn as DP that caused one of the DemoGame's greatest uproars (Civ3 DG3 Term 3), I as Judge Advocate tossed out the case against him even though everyone (myself included) wanted to see him pay dearly for his actions. At that time, our laws were not fleshed out enough for the Judiciary to try a viable case. Go to the Archives for a fun read.

I'd like to think that I would be able to prepare a case using this same line of thinking. Long story short, I will always choose the letter of the law over my personal prejudices no matter what.

2) Do you feel you can adequately present a case against a citizen whom you have a great deal of respect for?

Without a doubt. And since I have the utmost respect for just about everyone who has brought their ideas to the pre-game, you all can consider yourselves on notice if I win this election. ;)

Question to the candidates:

Do you think you'll be active during the whole term? Is it likely you'll drop out for whatever reason?

I will read the letter of the law and prosecute anyone that breaks the law. No matter what my personal thoughts on their actions, I will have an obligation to the Demo Game citizens at large to try to get a guilty verdict. That is the job of the JA in a case. I was lead prosecuter in a mock high school trial, and I like verbally debating my friends (especially liberal jihadists ;) ), so I feel I am qualified for this position.

Yes, because I believe in presenting my case using facts. No matter how much or little respect I have for a person, I will use facts and only facts during a trial. The use of personal attacks, which I believe shows how much respect you have for a person, has no business belonging in a case.

Do you think you'll be active during the whole term? Is it likely you'll drop out for whatever reason?

Yes and no. I had great fun during cIV Demo Game I, when it was running. I'm not very active now, but that is because I'm not that excited about the set-up process. I'm also not a very good cIV player, so I don't have a lot of comments in the other areas. My health has pretty much returned (knock, knock), so you'll be stuck with me for a while now.

I don't think I'll drop out. As a high-school senior, the amount of free time available to me is likely to increase over the course of the next few months (with a dip in April on account of AP exams), which means that while gobs of time will probably be spent writing essays for scholarships, I will nevertheless have a good amount of time to execute duties as Judge Advocate.

I'd like to nominate Daveshack and Ravensfire, as well as second Lockesdonkey.

(I'd like to see those three in justice positions.)

My thanks, but as I'm running for Chief Justice, I must decline.

-- Ravensfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom