Term 1 Nomination Thread - Public Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Position: Public Defender

This is the Nomination thread for the office of Public Defender.

The Public Defender is a member of the Judiciary. As with all members of the Judiciary, the Public Defender will resolve and clarify any questions of our laws, investigate any possible violations of the laws and review amendments to the Constitution. The Public Defender is also responsible for providing any citizen accused of violating a rule with representation during a trial, unless that citizen wishes otherwise.

To nominate a citizen for Public Defender, including yourself, post the name in this thread or PM Ravensfire. In order for a citizen to be accepted for the election, they must accept the nomination by posting in this thread or sending a PM to Ravensfire. Self-nominations are considered automatically accepted unless indicated otherwise. Citizens may only accept one nomination.

All citizens are encouraged to post questions to the nominees about their plans and qualifications for the office. Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to answer those questions.

The election poll will be posted at 6:00 pm, Feb. 24, CST, and will list all accepted nominations, in order of acceptance.

Good luck!
-- Ravensfire

I nominate Falcon02.

I'd like to nominate myself for this position, and, I will accept that nomination.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to encourage all citizens to ask questions in regard to my candidacy, either in this thread, or if you prefer, via PM.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring and nominate myself. I encourage citizens to ask all questions they have to OctavianX so that I may poke holes in his answers.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring and nominate myself. I encourage citizens to ask all questions they have to OctavianX so that I may poke holes in his answers.
Although I am not biased towards newcomers, have you ever had any past experience in demogames? Although your post count is 2, you may of been atleast a lurker, which would pass my test any day. The reason I ask is because I'd sleep better at night knowing one of the three people who deals with the writing and interpreting of our laws, has atleast experienced (by reading, not necessarily being a justice) what the justices do.

In order to ease your mind Ice, I have never played in a demogame. I would consider myself a lurker to the board as I mostly use it to download mods for civ and I dont generally consider posting much in the forums. As for any qualifications I might have for the job of Public Defender, I am a currently finishing up with law school in real life and reading and interpreting law is how I spend most of my day. The office seemed like the best choice for getting involved in the game and the least likely position where my inexperience in demogames would be a liability. If people do not wish to vote for me for this office because I haven't played before, that is their right. But I also don't think my lack of experience should preclude me from the office either.

To all candidates:

The most difficult job of the Public Defender is to provide support and representation for a citizen when they are in a trial. This can be doubly difficult when the accusation is particularly severe, or has resulted in harsh words and feelings.

1) Do you feel you can adequately defend a citizen in such times?
2) Do you feel you can adequately defend a citizen, even one that you personally detest, or who's actions you detest?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

In order to ease your mind Ice, I have never played in a demogame. I would consider myself a lurker to the board as I mostly use it to download mods for civ and I dont generally consider posting much in the forums. As for any qualifications I might have for the job of Public Defender, I am a currently finishing up with law school in real life and reading and interpreting law is how I spend most of my day. The office seemed like the best choice for getting involved in the game and the least likely position where my inexperience in demogames would be a liability. If people do not wish to vote for me for this office because I haven't played before, that is their right. But I also don't think my lack of experience should preclude me from the office either.
Excellent, seeing that your accustomed to interpreting laws, I see no reason why you should withdraw your ballot. You might want to browse through the DG1 forums a bit though, to get a feel of the legal wrangling that took place.

To all candidates:

The most difficult job of the Public Defender is to provide support and representation for a citizen when they are in a trial. This can be doubly difficult when the accusation is particularly severe, or has resulted in harsh words and feelings.

2) Do you feel you can adequately defend a citizen, even one that you personally detest, or who's actions you detest?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

I think the key to the job (and to answering your questions, raven) is to approach issues with as neutral point of view as possible. This is, of course, expected in a judicial review, but perhaps more questionable in cases against fellow citizens. Especially in times of a contentious debate, it is necessary for each side to be properly heard, but always in a way which puts the public interest first - namely, in a civil manner.

As the public defender, I can, and will, present always present a vehement defense for my client as necessary, regardless of my personal feelings. It might happen that I may not be able to work well with a particular person - an inevitable occurrence in a world of six billion people - but that will effect my defense. I feel that I can keep personal considerations out of my role as the Public Defender. On top of that, I think I've had a pretty steady track record in the CFC demogame community as a non-polarizing figure.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring and nominate myself.

You'll need to register for the user group, or you won't be able to vote. ;)
Here's a handy link.

To all candidates:

No, I don't think I can adequately represent and support a citizen when they are accused of breaking a law. I will leave merely adequate representation to my opponents. Citizens will receive relentless representation and will have every remedy or defense available to them under law if I am elected to the office of Public Defender.

A competent Public Defender is essential to a judicial system because it is their role in society to defend the rights of those who otherwise would receive no defense. It is paramount to protect the rights of persons who the majority deems as loathsome and abhorrent because otherwise the law just becomes another tool of persecution. Justice for some is justice for none. So as Super Saturday approaches I urge you to vote for the best candidate, vote for Matt with an H.

I nominate Falcon02.

Thank you for your nomination, however after much thought I have decided to decline my nomination for Public Defender.

My Primary interest lies in the main game, and I have confidence in the abilities of the candidates who are currently running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom