1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 1 - Nominations for Defense Advisor

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Chieftess, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

The Minister of Defense is responsible for defense and planning of military actions. The Minister also controls the actions of all Military units.

2. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

I nominate Ranger99.

3. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

I nominate Daveshack

4. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

I self-nominate and accept.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Heh, I can see people have forgotten little old me :p

(PS, I was kidding :joke: )

6. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Nope CG i always intended to nominate you, i just been doin stuff. so here you go "I here By Nominate Civgeneral for obove stated positsion" although you will decline for the court house.

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Actualy, Ill accept my nomination after declining my nomination to the Court.

I plan to set up an expidition to explore the lands around our empire, which will consist of cheap warriors to be sent out with a few defending our cities until bronze working.

I intend to explore all hills and mountans to ensure that we have access to iron. Since we would be playing a 5CC varians. I intend to have defensive holds in our colonies to prevent any razing of the colony by the barbarians or hostile civs.

8. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

This is my Election Platform on the Federal Defense of Fanatikos:

1) Warriors will be built for exploritorial purposes when a city is first founded. Barracks will be recommended for construction after that, thus creating veteran warriors and/or hoplites for fortification.

2) Colonies will be guarded from the point in construction to prevent razing from unwanted invading nations or barbarians. A warrior will be first assigned to this post, while a hoplite will soon replace him. Outposts will be built around the colonies to increase vision range. If enemies are approaching, reinforcements will be able to arrive faster to defend the colony. I will spare no assets to defend colonies, due to their immense importance in a 5BC game.

3) Many tactics will be employed to insure the continued protection of Fanatikos. For instance, units will be placed at strategic chokepoints and mountain passes. This will halt enemy troop movement in times of war and allow us to keep enemies at bay until reinforcements arrive.

VOTE vikingruler FOR DEFENSE MINISTER TERM ONE!!!

9. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

even though its not your direct decision, you still have influence on it, what is your position on an early war to slow down nearby civs?

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

My possition on an early war to slow down a nearby civ would be a cautious one. I would use eather warriors or archers (depending on the technology) to raid our targeted civ. I have played a bit with a 5CC game and one of the things that I learned very quickly is that you need to have a stronger army than your neighbor and eliminate (or bump them off to another part of the map if we dont have elimination on) them. I was fortunate enough to have iron and was playing the Romans (Legons, a good mixed military unit) in my 5CC game. Basicly how I maintained domanance on my side of the contenent was that I ensured that no one had connections to an iron resource. After I have eliminated or pushed the other civ to the other side, I create a network of forts along a pseudo-border to keep watch of wandering settlers and jump them when they cross.

But since we are playing as the Greeks, Hoplites would last us untill the middle ages and would not need to worry about upgrading to pikemen. Also, this means that stratigies would have to change from my experiance. I would have some warriors patrolling the single civ city's border, once a settler pops out, then its ripe for the picking.

11. Icmancin

Icmancin WSNR Pte

What's your opinion on a Maginot Line style defense border? When would you put one in? And would you add airfields?

12. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

It all depends on how well the enemy civ is doing. If they have say 4 or 5 cities when we have 2 and they have like a 3 tech lead then we would really have no choice but attack to hinder their progression through the game. I would build a sizable army, depending on the techs, comprising of 5 or 6 archers and a number of warriors. Or if we can build swordsmen 4-6 of them with some hoplites and 2-4 archers with any warriors already constructed. If the enemy civilization has only a 1 tech lead or still 3-4 cities I would approach the war different. A war with a civ with an immense lead must occur or else the civ will become dominant on the continent and most likely defeat us, while a civ with less of a lead like stated just above, can become a valuable trading partner and ally. however, due to their lead in land size and city number and slight tech lead, they must be attacked to prevent the possibility of them becoming to dominant and turning into the enemy that could destroy the nation of Fanatikos.

13. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

First of all it is the first term. therefore, i doubt a Maginot Line will or have to be built. Nevertheless, I will give my opinion on them. I would put them in later in the game. I would do only in anticipation of a massive or world war. Each pile of units would have at least to defense units, with 3-5 offensive or more. Also, the square would have roads or railroads as well as a forteress with a barricade. Mountains and hills would be used as spots for fortification whenever possible. Airfields comes somewhat late in the game, however they do play a decisive role. Since they base air units, they can be quite vunerable, air units cannot respond in a defensive attack. So strong security measures must be taken. Specifically they will be placed behind the line so the enemy must break through to attack it. but only in the second line. also, they will be HEAVILY guarded, with 5-7 up to date defensive units, with radar towers and outposts surronding them. Air units can play the most pivotal role in a late war. So, we must protect them to the best of our abilities.

14. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

maginot line, isn't that german for speed bump ahead?

15. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I decline, running for Governor of City 1. :)

16. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

How will you balance out getting the units that we need and unit support costs? With only five cities for awhile, how will we not go into massive debt? We won't last long with merely 20 free units, after all.

17. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

My opinion for a Maginot line style defensive border would be nessicary to ensure that non of the opposing civs send any of their settlers into our pseudo-borders (IE our sphear of influence which contains our colonies) and taking razing our colonies by simply building a city right next to it. I would add the defensive border when we have pushed our neighbors away and that we have access to the nessicary strat and lux resources (that appears in our tech level). Airbases would be advalible only twards the end of the industrial age so I would not worry about them now.

We would have to sacrifice our slider to the lowest point in order to obtain funds for troops during times of war or the road to war. During times when we are not at war, only a standing defensive army would be needed and any offensive units would have to be disbanded.

18. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

I would first like to say that we are playing a 5BC game. Also, we decided that we will keep one city from a civ we destroy or are at war with. Therefore, the number of allowed units will go slightly up. This does play a large role in an early war, for instance we have 2 or 3 of our cities, we also have an army of say 4 archers, 3 warriors, and 3 swords. we go to war. we take their captial, keep it and raze both of their other cities. the city we just got added 4 units to our allowed unit number from 12 to 16. if i do have to manage it this would be my approach. build the minimum amount of units for defense in our cities, as well as for colonies, to lower the money needed for support cost. Also, i would build an army, with neccesary numbers to defeat an enemy, that way i wouldn't have to waste time and money building new units for reinforcements. Additionally, this would prevent the need to build more defense units, when the enemy comes to our cities after defeating our inferior army.

19. Ranger99

Ranger99 Ranger99's Going to NAVY?

I feel honored!

Too bad I missed most of the disscussion work took me away for a little while, any way i can still answer some of those cool questions?

20. Ranger99

Ranger99 Ranger99's Going to NAVY?

Mainly we'd have to use a small proffesional army and try to get all of our units up to elite status ASAP.

With such a small cap on our army size, we'll need to make room for good intelligence, which although one can live without when you're playing a regular, we almost NEED to have, face it, our army wouldn't be big enough to stomach the loses of a major siege, so we'll need to use espionage and sound tactics to strike the enemy at their weakest point.

Basically we'll need to have as big of an army as we can get and we'll need to have a robust economy that will supply us with the money needed to fund intelligence missions.

Sadly though the small cap on army size, MAY limit oour 'special operations' which in many cases require complimentary units that we cannot afford. Although that transport and battleship or two could be used to strike at an unprotected city in the AI's rear if their cities within striking distance of our own border are two well defended with mobile units in the area.

AVOID enemy units outside of city garrison's and launch quick fast attacks or else our armies face the prospect of being cut off with NO hope of extraction.

Thank you... That is all....
    That speech was kinda fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.