• Donsig

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • General W

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • The imaginary rabbit (abstain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The shameless mudslinger? (General W)

Or the man who has supposedly blown up doughbolt factories in the past? (dinsog, err, i mean, donsig)

Or the non-existant rabbit with the crazy eyes? :crazyeye::mischief:

I pledge my support and vote for donsig. :)

peter grimes said:
I'm not willing to vote until Donsig has a chance to lay out his stance. I hope he gets that done soon!

Working on that now. Just finsihed my school homework. Why I ever decided to go back to school I will never know...

fe3333au said:
Nor I ... but I am wearing a garbage bag cos I'm expecting a mud fligger of a campaigne ;)

The only mud I want to sling will be aimed at the Galls and Nutters!

From the nomination thread:

Chamnix said:
Ah, General_W, our champion mudslinger... it's been a while since someone was brazen enough to challenge you in an election :).

But since we have a race now, I'd like to hear donsig flesh out his position a little more. I love the idea of wiping all non-MIAers from the map (how could anyone not love that?), but how do you propose to accomplish this? Landing with cavalry? Hoplites? Riflemen? Wait until infantry? How many boats would we need? What is your timeframe? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Etc.

We are currently at war with both the Galls and Nutters. We have a tech lead and we need to exploit that. The enemy has steam power and nationalism so they will be concentrating their efforts on creating a rail network to use to defend Battle Island in conjunction with their cavlary and riflemen.

If we try landing with cavalry and rifles (or hoplites :eek: ) we would only succeed in reducing our military unit support costs. We need to wait till we have replaceable parts so we can build infantry, artillery and start using civil engineers. Once we have a large enough force of infantry we use them to establish a beach head along with cannons, arty and cav to go on the offensive.

The invasion route should be the same the Galls used in their invasion. We stage near April Fools and land near their capital or fur colony. We take Malice and then continuously ferry troops to that city. Using this route we can keep our naval transports to a minimum (what ever is required to establish the initial beachhead). In addition to infantry for the beachhead and ships to transport them we need a strong enough naval presence to safely convoy the troop ships.

So, how many infantry do we need? Tough call for me. I have no experience in calculating the size of the force the enemy can throw against our beachhead. We are stong compared to both the Nutters and Galls. That could mean they have 40 cav each which would mean we'd need 40 infantry. My guess is 20 inf would do especially if we land a comparable amount of cannons or arty. We'd need 10 galleons and maybe half a dozen frigates to protect them. That's 860 shields worth of navy and 1800 shields worth of infantry. We already have 16 cannons so we'd need gold for the arty, not shields.

Is this doable? Our top ten cities are making almost 300 shields per turn and they don't even all have factories yet. Plus, with replaceable parts we can use civil engineers to boost shield production even more. If we concentrate on the navy first (while we research replaceable parts) we could get our ships in place and gain control of Invasion Straight in time to ferry our expeditionary force over. We could pump out over 30 infantry in 12 turns at current production rates. By the time we get replaceable parts we'll have factories in place and our production will be even greater.

My initial thought was to forego the building of wonders. Copernicus and the palace prebuild are cutting into this 300spt production big time. But that may not be necessary. Going for Hoover will boost production even more so is a worthy goal in order to allow us to sustain a prolonged war effort.

Here's an outline of my overall platform for wiping out the Galls and Nutters:

Research replaceable parts next, then scientific method.

Start building a navy - frigates first to gain control of Invasion Straight, then galleons for transporting the invasion force.

Once we have replaceable parts start building infantry and upgrade as many cannons as we can afford.

Complete Copernicus, build TOE to get atomic theory and electronics for free and to build Hoover.

Once we have control of the straight and enough galleons and infantry we land the infrantry and arty/cannons near Malice. Then ferry the cav to the beach head. Take Malice and ferry additional units there to continue conquest. Continue making military units in all top producing cities except those building the specified wonders.

We concentrate on eliminating the Galls first.

We should be able to capture Malice within twenty turns from now.

classical_hero said:
It looks like that G_W will win with that stance. :rolleyes:

Would you elaborate on that? How does the General's strategic vision differ from mine? I know there was talk of a space race victory but I see no reason to grad the game out that far especially since there is the risk of the enemy building the UN and snatching a diplomatic victory. We have a good tech edge and we should use it to fight. If we eliminate the Galls we nuetralize the diplo victory threat. If we keep the Nutters fighting we will drain their resources away from research and culture building. We can use our massive production to conduct the war and still maintain our tech. The combination of cavalry and artillery is effective even against infantry. Once we have the beachhead and are pumping units over to Battle Island we can research towards flight to produce bombers to step up the fight then go for the techs leading to tanks. We will get all these techs before the enemy, especially if we knock out the Galls and deprive the Nutters of their help.

My plan seems strategically sound. Do you doubt our ability to produce a big enough navy and landing force quickly enough to ensure success? If so then I suggest we take out the part about building wonders (even to the point of giving up the palace prebuild) so we can devote all our top cities' production to military needs. Do you think twenty infantry in fifteen turns is not a big enough landing force? In a few turns we'll have a better idea about our production levels (since the factories will be operating) and we can better forecast how fast we can produce infantry.

The fact is we are at war with the rest of the world. Our war with the Nutters may be a phony war at this point to ensure the security of our techs but it is an opportunity to keep them down. Also, we are spending 100 gpt to support our armed forces. We can reduce this cost by capturing more cities (and by adding workers t our smaller cities).

I don't know about going through KISS first, we need to stop the technological advance of the Doughnuts towards the UN and them getting replaceable parts so that we can invade much more easily. KISS is already disabled, Doughnutia is not and is madly researching to catch up. A second attack into KISS would be good, but the Doughnuts should be the first threat, and therefore the first to go IMHO, as much as I want to see KISS die now, winning and defeat KISS into oblivion later.

Well put worthy opponent! I disagree with your proposed strategy – but as we noted at the start of this thread, Strategy will be designed by the whole team… and the president will just be responsible for implementing it (except where’s it’s unclear or in controversy).
Anyway – just for the sake of clarity – my current position is to avoid Hoover entirely. I would like to see the team follow this general path…
1) Get Scientific Method asap and complete the ToE (highest possible priority)
2) Research directly to Flight, using the ToE upon completion to speed us along that path.
3) Get as many bombers as possible, as quickly as possible, with extensive use of pre-builds and begin around-the-clock bombing of all reachable Dnut terrain improvements.
4) While the bombing campaign rages, I’d research Replaceable Parts and amass infantry and some transports.
5) Once a sizeable invasion force is ready – I’d open up a landing zone in Dnut land with bombers (take out defenders and any rails left in the area to prevent a counter-attack)
6) Crush Dnuts and then KISS… maybe leave 1 of each town to finish them both on the same turn :evil:

Hope that helps!
:salute:

General_W said:
Well put worthy opponent! I disagree with your proposed strategy – but as we noted at the start of this thread, Strategy will be designed by the whole team… and the president will just be responsible for implementing it (except where’s it’s unclear or in controversy).

Yes, the role of the president is to carry out the wishes of the team as a whole. No matter the outcome of this election our team will get a president who will do that.

Your startegy is indeed workable and it's good to know we both have the same goals in mind!

I am a little diappointed though. When I saw that you had made a post here I thought sure you'd be conceding the election. :D

Good luck, Mr. President :salute:. Obviously once you take office, you are free to run things as you see fit, but just you know what I’ve been trying to do when you see the first save of your term:

Workers – I think there is one worker on each marsh/jungle tile building a road. I wasn’t intending to move any other workers on those tiles until the road is complete, then stack to clear. I wasn’t intending to road tiles that will eventually have a town on them.

The most efficient way to use workers is actually to use “half-stacks” – i.e. use 3 when railroading or 2 when irrigating. It makes no difference in the long run, but we will get the benefit the following turn whether using 3 or 6 to railroad, but by using 3, we can get the benefit from 2 different tiles in 1 turn.

Since food is everything in the north, generally grass comes first, then plains. Mountains and hills can be ignored.

Units – My number 1 priority has been making sure all workers on the coast have 1 unit on top of them to prevent KISS from stealing a worker. Generally, each town with a KISS citizen needs only 1 unit to guarantee no flips – I think almost every town with a KISS citizen has a unit in it now.

The boats have been moving toward KISS galleys possibly to attack redlined ones if Defense wants to. They have not always used all their movement - I have been ending turns in cities usually in case there were pirates about.

Managing Cities – There are some towns in the core that can complete projects during the next couple turns, and I think they are generally on pace. If they will not complete anything additional before our Golden Age ends, then I have just been maximizing shields (including hiring cops even if they don’t appear to shave a turn off) – there was no need to aim for an even number because things will have to be adjusted once the GA ends.

I already mentioned the northern towns just need to maximize food and avoid wasting food. Additionally, some former KISS towns have courthouses. This can be important because it means that 6 shields gross yields 2 shields net. Towns with courthouses should get priority on BGs (even though they will be irrigated to maximize food) in case we can get extra shields there.

Research – We really don’t have to play games with the research slider anymore. Basically all I’ve been doing is keeping the slider on the minimum necessary with all scientists for the first 3 turns of a project. On the 4th turn, I move the research slider to the minimum to complete it in 1 turn, then change scientists to taxmen until it changes to 2 turns, then change 1 taxman back to finish in 1 turn.

If anything doesn’t make sense to you when you see the turn 181 save, let me know, and I will try to justify what I was doing :).

Sounds great! I appreciate all the help… and I'm sure I'll need more as it goes along.

I'll never be able to replace you, I only hope I can carry on this office with a modicum of the skill you showed.

I've ordered a Celebration Ball in Tribute to your presidency. I have had the Grand Hall in the basement of the Domestic Ministry completely remodeled for the occasion.
We'll have fine food and heartfelt tributes to your presidency from luminaries of every walk of life in MIA.

Also – I'm sure you won't want to miss the after-party over at the foreign ministry…

:salute: :salute: :salute:

Chamnix said:
Good luck, Mr. President :salute:. Obviously once you take office, you are free to run things as you see fit, but just you know what I’ve been trying to do when you see the first save of your term:

Thank you, thank you Mr. ex-president. I'd also like to thank my opponent for putting up such a great battle during the election. Good work, General. Rest up and maybe you can beat me next time. Well, I've got my sleeves rolled up and I'm ready to get right to work!

What's that greekguy? I didn't win? What are you talking about? General_W got more votes than me? So what? That kind of thing never stopped me from being President of the Republic of Iron! Whaddya mean I can't play the turns?!? Whaddya mean I can't use the Greek army to beat the poop out of the Galls and Nutters?!? [stomps foot and wraps arms around the presidential podium as greekguy and a squad of Honorguard Hoplites tries removing him from the stage]

:lol: - too funny Donsig! :lol:

Good race! I didn't even have to break your knee-caps... :mischief:

Top Bottom