1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 2 – Election for President

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Furiey, Aug 27, 2005.

?

Who will be the next President of Fanatikos?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2005.
  1. Donovan Zoi

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Octavian X

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

The President is responsible for control of the slider, worker allocation and resolving disputes between leaders, such as over use of gold. The President is also responsible for all tasks not assigned to another leader.

Please vote for one of the following candidates:
    Donovan Zoi
    Octavian X​
    Link to Nomination thread

This is a private poll, and will last for 3 days.

2. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

I have been the first to vote. Good luck, Octavian X!

More four years! More four years!

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I'm going to reserve my vote for right now, and ask the candidates a question:

Will you work to actually coordinate the efforts of the other elected officials (besides the Judiciary)? Currently, it's just a ton of officials that are carrying out there duties with little regard to what the others are doing. What will you do to change that?

4. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

That's a very good question Strider and I agree with you. I too would be very interested in the answer.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I am delighted you would ask, Strider. Yes, I would plan to do that. The recent 23-turn game session was an embarrassment, and set us back several years.

Not only could you count on me to drive discussions that will require input from all members of our government, you can expect a monitoring of each DP session so that incidents like wasting 20% lux tax for 20+ turns (we could have shaved 8-10 turns off of our Writing discovery) will not happen again.

Everyone is uncertain and afraid right now, but everyone also likes a comeback story. Vote for Donovan Zoi so that we may live to continue that story into Term 3.

Please keep the questions coming.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I vote for the doughnut king ;)

7. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Wow, if only I could vote for two candidates...

I'm going to withhold my vote for the moment and wait to see how the election-thread debate turns out. But I'd be fully supportive of either.

8. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Another question for the candidates:

If you are elected president, and had to choose one goal, what would that be? I'm talking about Technological dominance, Military dominance, DG Affairs (unrelated to the save), etc. (and you can choose just one).

9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Shot, should have hold my vote and ask what the President plans to do about the unemployment rate ;).

10. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Strider,

Unfortunately, I cannot pick just one goal and expect Fanatikos to thrive. However, if I were to pick just one goal, it would be cultural border control. This may seem like an odd goal when you consider the current quarmire we find ourselves in both scientifically and militarily, but hear me out:

The city-placement decisions we made in Term 1 were forward-thinking enough to allow our first three cities full access to the maximum 21 tiles. However, in the growing stages of our nation, that leaves a significant amount of unprotected land --- free for our neighbors to settle.

This absolutely cannot happen! What position will we find ourselves in if an "enemy" city is placed on a road between two of our cities? We will need to waste resources and time on a workaround plan.

We need to be vigilant of encroachment from other nations, and need to be proactive in building the sufficient military to discourage such a threat. We want no one, even our friends, to lay claim to any area south of the Augean Stables.

Secondary goals (but no less important) would be tech parity and city growth. We can achieve tech parity by not hoarding so much gold, and we can achieve rapid city growth by designating a fertile city to provide eager settlers to slower-growing cities. With proper planning, both of these goals are very attainable this term. And with Donovan Zoi as your President, all will be invited (and required)to make it happen.

11. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Of course not, I was just looking for what you want to focus more attention on. I don't expect you to follow that goal, with complete disregard to every other aspect of the poistion. I know you can not pick just one goal, however, by forcing you to pick just one goal, it helps me understand what you would like to focus the nation upon.

12. M4 Sherman

M4 Sherman Chieftain

I was wondering when Octavian X will publish his general policy.

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

In the desperate move of an underdog, the Zoi camp goes slightly negative. But does that mean these questions should be ignored??

From the State of the Fanatik Union thread:

Our current President openly admits the failures of the first term administration, yet offers no concrete solution that can pull us out of the current quagmire. And I must apologize, but I will not buy your votes with the offer of free donuts or luxuries. I have much more respect for you than that.

We need to tighten the belt, Fanatikos. Are you up for the challenge? History will prove that most voters are not, which is why I predict that you will choose to enjoy perks from a savvy politico than follow the proven strategy of an admittedly ornery challenger.

My offer of our survival is only good for this term, Fanatikos. Do you want more of the same this time out? Or do you strive for something better?

Vote Donovan Zoi and help stake our claim against our future aggressors.

14. M4 Sherman

M4 Sherman Chieftain

I think you are being somewhat implacable, Donovan Zoi. You do critize the government more than any other candidate here.

15. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Thank you for noticing M4 Sherman.

Do you think it is wrong of me to call out our President for identifying our 6-tech deficit while taking no responsibility for it, all the while hoarding unnecessary gold?

Do you find it wrong of me to admonish the decision by our second governor (willing placated by our own people!) to propose our next city at that time be built in then-unknown lands?

Do you think I am out of line to publicly chastise a turn player for going on for 20+ turns wasting 20% of our gold/science each turn?

If you answer YES to all of these questions, then perhaps I am not the candidate for you. Although I am not the warmest and fuzziest of citizens, I am also not a fan of failure. Therefore, I pledge to do whatever possible to keep our nation from doing just that.

A vote for my opponent will likely keep the warm, fuzzy atmosphere you crave alive and well, but will see us get smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror ( I know....what the heck is that? ;) ) of our rivals.

Vote as you wish, M4. But realize that a known critic is willing to put himself up to the same type of criticism for the sake of our country. Thanks for your interest.

16. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

based on everything he said in this thread, i voted for DZ.

17. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Go Donovan!

18. Gerikes

Gerikes User of Run-on Sentences.

I think a tighter cohesion between the offices and a platform to try and create more debate rather than yes-people are the reasons I will most support DZ.

19. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

After reading all of DZ's anwsers I felt it was too convincing, thus i voted for him. While Octavian X has been and would have been a great president i think DZ's plans for Fanatikos will defintley better our nation.

20. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

I strongly support Donovan_Zoi, my largest problem with the current administration is the slider handling, and D_Z has a clear plan