1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 2 – Election for President

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Furiey, Aug 27, 2005.

?

Who will be the next President of Fanatikos?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2005.
  1. Donovan Zoi

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Octavian X

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

I like DZ's plans, and I think he knows how to bring us onto the right track. I haven't seen anything from Oct yet. I don't know what this implies (connection failure perhaps?), but I cast my vote for DZ.

2. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Please forgive my extended absense. Between a processor fan failure as well the failure of a rather crucial drain pipe in the basement, I've been tied up during the election cycle. :)

Anyway, to the business as hand! It would appear my poor poll numbers need a little boost...

Mr. Zoi is campaigning, I believe, for a Presidency that does not exist. He emphasized, and rightly so, an increased emphasis on the coordination of our leaders, placing what little blame there is on my shoulders.

I must point out that the role of the President, and indeed, the federal government has changed quite a bit since the days of my first memorable battle with DZ in DG2. The Constitution that we have ratified has created a greater role for our honorable governers and their (soon-to-be) five city-states. My administration, I feel, has reflected this minimalist approach to federal government. The governors have been allowed to carry out their duties, which have most importantly to this point have been settling their cities, while I had hoped that the governors would take more initiative in forming civic governments (which, by the way, is something I plan on encouraging regardless of this race's results). The federal level of government itself hasn't even had a project to coordinate, given that our chief duties have been exploration, waiting for tech prices to decrease, and waiting out writing research, all in a term shorter than in one that we usually expect.

The slider policy that was put into place at the beginning of the term when we first began this game has yet to change - minimalist research. The accidental increase in lux spending over the last turn chat was a tragic mistake, an overlooking of instructions left by my office. It only means to me, though, that gold was lost - gold which will be used to acquire further technologies from our neighbors. Please remember that this is the emperor level of gameplay - we cannot compete with the hyper reserach and trading of the barbarian civilizations, so we must use research (and later, extorsion) to keep up and eventually take the lead.

That said, I do not think that any major shifts in this policy should be made. It is clear to me that the only thing that will allow us to survive is a strong military - strong enough to defend us, and strong enough to attck those who would threaten us, and powerful enough to secure all of the vital resources and luxuries that we need. This means, of course, that we will not be able to pursue a great wonder in the near future. Dreams of ancient wonders are folly - even if we are able to compete with our enemies' chaper construction costs, it will mean that fully 1/5 of our military production capability will be occupied by using shields which could be better invested in barracks, marketplaces (to increase our wealth), and libraries (to secure our cultural borders), not to mention myraids of units in between.

The designated player pool, in hindsight, was an example of were I dropped the ball. Faced with schedules for turnchats appearing from nowhere, as well notable absences that set back our most recent turnchat, I realize that I should taken Furiey's earlier urging more seriously - I plan to take on a more agressive role in properly organizing our future play sessions.

Now, citizens of our great nation, I believe that we shall be in particularly good hands should you decide to change course and hedge your future on my opponent. But why would we change? A thoughtful, if not particularly loud, leader has lead through this first term, and will surely lead well into a second. Vote Octavian X!

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Honorable Ocatvian X,

I am glad you could make it to the debates, and I hope that all is well with your home.

The beauty of our Constitution is that it allows us both to claim that our interpretation of the President's role is accurate. One elected to President can fulfill as many or as few of the "tasks not assigned" without risk of punishment.

However, it also reads that the leader chosen to head the Executive Branch should be ready and willing to do just that. Therefore if elected, I will be implementing my more proactive interpretation of the Constitution until we find ourselves at parity with all of our neighbors.

I am curious of one thing, Octavian. Where is the mandate for your minimum science initiative? I have found one thread with results far to the contrary, but with no poll confirming your instructions. Can you please enlighten me on this?

4. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Well, I tossed in a DZ vote here, since he is the only player I know of the candidates.

5. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

I too have noticed that our constitution does not actually say that our President is required to lead (I have checked on this myself). However, the President is the head of the Executive Branch and if that doesn't mean they are a leader, I don't know what does. A leader doesn't just fill in the holes between the other leaders and do a few odd jobs, a leader leads, our President should be doing just that. I have seen little or no evidence of that this term and DZ appears to be the only candidate that recongnises the need. It is this part of the job that I know I will not have time for, hence I declined my nomination. Yes the Governors have a more powerful role this time, but that doesn't mean the President should abdicate their responsibility and let the Governors rule the show - they need directing to a common goal.

As for the minimum research, The thread does indicate a maximum research preference but no slider instructions were posted for the first full turnchat, the DP at the time tried raising the slider, but could not get less time on research. The instructions for the next session became continue minimal research. If the slider had been raised it would have been possible to reduce the time as we built more cities, in fact during DS's turns as DP it was possible to shave 3 turns off, and that would probably have increased after the third city was built.

I have my concerns over DZ after the end of the last game, but feel Fanatikos desperately needs a leader, and DZ is the candidate for that.

6. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

Hmm. It seems that DZ will be our next president. The "more four years!" campaign I made to elect Octavian X failed.

7. Octavian X

As they say, no news is good news. It seems just so strange to me that all of these concerns about the reserach policy under this administration are raised now, as the election campaign rolls forward. Allow me to ask - why raise these concerns now? My office was certainly always open to complaints, and anyone could have certainly posted a new thread in the citizens' forum to initiate a change in a policy I certainly felt worked best for the nation.

8. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

In my case pure frustration (and more time as I have been on holiday from work). After the last game when it became clear that number crunchers were not required in this game, I decided to wean myself off it. Too addicted to walk away completely, I decided that rather than whine and whinge I would support those who did still want to play. As such I took on the Election Office, but took no part in the discussion or voting for the constitution and game set up (I did slip up once or twice and cast a couple of votes but nothing significant). I turned up to the chats for the chat, rarely even opening the save. Then I was on holiday and the more time I had to look the more frustrated I became. Still trying to keep away, I started making comments, found myself voting when I had been determined not to. I commented in DaveShack's chat that the research speed could be increased, but by then instructions were clearly for minimum research - I was still trying to stay away, so said nothing further. Then frustration got the better of me with the turnchat schedules - I was on holiday and didn't know when the next one was! I needed my fix :cry: . My comments regarding that took the cork out of the bottle and I was so very tempted to run for President myself when DS nominated me (time really is the reason for not doing so as I'm back to work tomorrow). I now must admit that I've failed miserably in my attempt to stay away. If this had happened earlier you would certainly have known about it earlier from me, but of course this happened right before the election. Sorry Oct, but a lot of pent up frustration has come flooding out at exactly the wrong time for you.

9. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

In defence of President Octavian X, (not that it seems to matter now)

The real problem regarding science rate happened at the 1st "real" turnchat. We had a DP who just assumed that because we're playing Emporer level that we would want to run minimum research. The official excuse from that DP was "no instructions from the President", but there was discussion which clearly pointed in the direction of max research and trying the Philosophy gambit, and strongly suspect that the DP in question knew about that discussion and disagreed with it, so took the liberty of imposing a personal opinion on us.

True, we weren't aggressive enough at trying to repair the mistake of starting research too slow -- but there weren't enough voices at the time saying the damage was fixable. That's more the fault of the general public than any one person, I think.

10. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Are you saying I missed a chance to grill my beloved one-who-shall-not-be-named?? :lol:

Then I guess I am to blame as well. As a wayward citizen in Term 1, I usually noticed glaring issues far too late to make a valid complaints about them. And after listening to Dave, it looks like I also apparently let some fall thorugh the cracks.

Yet, unlike before, I have now pledged to be the vigilant overseer of many of our nation's operations. The Fanatik people have heard my message and if I am elected, I expect them to hold me accountable for it. However, I will have expectations as well.

Stay tuned to what could be a very interesting term.......

11. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

I voted for Don Novanzoi. It is a great shame i will not get to serve in the Zoi adminstration.

12. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

DZ, you have a 100% advantage over Octavian X. Although I strongly endorse him, I have nothing to say to you but "Good Luck!".

13. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

congratulations mr.President elect

14. Octavian X

Well, congratulations to President Donovan Zoi! I am confident he will be an excellent and effective leader in the upcoming term. :)

Now, though, it is time for me to retire... again. If I can work some time in, look for a revival (and hopefully, a ruleset) for my planned minigame. Otherwise, I think my stint serving the public is mostly over until I can find time again (I kid you not, I am actually buried beneath five feet of miscellaneous work that needs to be done...)

Lastly, a heartly 'thanks' to my supporters out there. I wouldn't have made it here in the first place without you guys, and I hope you'll join me in support President Zoi. Thanks in particular to Civlord, who has been particularly loud. :D

15. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

Thanks, Octavian X. I thought you really needed an "electoral campaign".

16. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Thanks for the kind words, Octavian. Your graceful consolation speech almost makes feel bad for pulling out all the stops this campaign trail.

Almost. ;) My only regret is that RL priorities kept you from joining the debate sooner. I know that had you posted a more timely reply to my accusations, this would have been anyone's race.

My door is always open to an old friend. Make sure to stay in touch, no matter where life's journey takes you.