Term 2 Nomination Thread - Chieftain

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Position: Chieftain

This is the Nomination thread for the office of Chieftain.

The Chieftain is the supremem leader of our nation and holds all powers not granted to another official. This specifically includes the duties of Election Officer, organizing the Designated Player pool and appointing citizens to vacant offices.

To nominate a citizen for Chieftain, including yourself, post the name in this thread or PM Methos. Self-nominations are considered automatically accepted unless indicated otherwise. Citizens may only accept one nomination.

All citizens are encouraged to post questions to the nominees about their plans and qualifications for the office. Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to answer these questions.

The election poll will be posted by 2:00 pm (1900 GMT) on March 27th and will list all accepted nominations, in order of acceptance.

Good Luck,
Methos

I would like to Nominate DaveShack and Chieftess.

Greetings Citizens,

I have decided to annouce my bid for the term two Chieftainship.
A lot of you already know me, some of you don’t. Those of you who do have seen me run for election before and those who don’t are about to get a lesson in how I do. I enjoy election time and I like a long hard race. I like big colorful letters and catchy sayings, anyway over the next few posts I shall outline my in game policy (e.g. Military), and my out of game policy (e.g. how I handle appointments) and then ill try and say why you should vote for me rather than my opponents. Right now I have none but if they see im the only one running someone will show up.

Now my opponents might try and make me look like a loose wire, they will point out past times when I have made mistakes ect.. I ask this of you ignore the mudslinging and look at the issues. If you prefer my policy tick my name, if not tick some one elses.

Regards

Nobody
NEXT CHEIFTAIN

P.S.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Citizens of Yasutan,

I come before you to offer my services as your leader for this the second term of our nations existence. That’s right I want to be elected as leader for this unnamed country, lets just see what exactly I would be doing as leader the specific duties are:

” duties of Election Officer, organizing the Designated Player pool and appointing citizens to vacant offices.”

Doesn’t seem to much work oh and the whole “supreme leader of our nation and holds all powers not granted to another official.” Thing.

Supreme is a awful lot of power it is every conceivable power other than control of that city, including the allocation of citizens, build queues and all other city-specific settings.

That seems like a lot of power to have concentrated into one elected official and it seems to me that the people never really intended for all this power to be concentrated in one chieftain for long term. If elected to this position I will create military, Foreign affairs, domestic, cultural and scientific departments to spread this supreme power out amongst more people. After all this game is about player participation not one guy playing the game.

Now some of the new players are going to say “but more offices will collapse like the triumtive government.” Its simply not the case, last demogame some screwball came and push through some giant bulging heap of a constitution known as the Triumtive government. It failed because it was complicated and contradicted its self. Having multiple offices has been apart of the demogame since the beginning, its not going to ruin the game, it will let more people have a role to play within the government.

In the following pages I will list my in game and out game policy,

VOTE NOBODY!!VOTE FOR A CHANGE!!

Nobodys Ingame policy

Military
Short term our military should continue to grow, with early warriors and other units for defense and scouting.
Longer term we need to establish a offensive force, we know there are other nations out there and at some stage me might have to fight them. This force should be made up of Keshiks and Catapult, with a few swords, spears and archers to mix things up.

Foreign Affairs

Short term we should befriend our neighbours, we can trade with them to get what we want. Once we have taken what we want diplomatically then we can decide as a nation if we should go war.

Personally I prefer to grow fill our empty space, have a early war to grab a large chunk of land and then stay at peace for the rest of the game. This early war would probably fall within my term as Leader.

Domestic
We should continue our growth, while ensuring we have adequate infrastructure to support our growing civilization.

Culture and Religion
In short: We need to establish a religion and culture. Researching code of law before any other civilization will allow us to establish the religion known as Confucianism. We should establish cultural building around this religion.

Science
Science is the means we use to achieve our other goals. I think we should research mathematics to get mathematics and horseback riding for military reason, Code of laws for religious ones and writing for diplomatic reasons. These would be researched in the most logical order.

If elected I would create offices for each of these policy areas, at first these offices would be appointed sub-presidential offices and depending on legality of it, they could become official offices elected at the next elections.

The new offices I would create would be:

Warchief: Responsible for the waging of war and the defense of the nation.
Would have the power to control all military units.

High Ambassador: Responsible for Signing treaties and declaring war.
Responsible for all foreign trades.
Responsible for establishment of embassies.
Would have the power to control all espionage units.

Domestic Chief:
responsible for overseeing planning worker assignments and mediating any arguments between elders. If a new city has not been assigned a Elder the Domestic chief shall manage that province or city until a elder is elected to mange that province or city. The Domestic Chief is also responsible for changing civics and the tax rate.

High Priest:
Responsible for all Religious and Cultural decisions, including changing the state religion.

Great Seer: Responsible for the research queue and other scientific affairs.

Also I shall rename the office of Chieftain to High Chief.

Citizens of …..? Hang on a minute! This is the second term! We don’t have a name!

Interesting exhibition of sizes, colors, and fonts. :cooool:

You might want to do a little research on that name thing. :lol:

I'd like to see Methos' response to your platform, I like the fact that you've declared a desire to found confucianism. But I'm a little reluctant to vote for a Chieftain who doesn't know the name of our great nation, Yasutan.

My apologies for taking so long to answer, but both my RL and CFC life have been rather busy the past couple of days.

Cities: I am a strong supporter of city specialization and would prefer we specialize our cities towards specific ends, such as production, science/commerce, GP farm, etc. I would like to discuss with all the elders and citizens how to tailor our cities to better manage our empire. I would also build a third city soon, so that we could expand our great empire.

Research: I would push for Alphabet. I'd prefer getting to Alphabet as fast as possible, in hopes of beating all other nations to it so that we can control the trading of technologies.

Foreign Relations: I'd prefer to extend our reach to other nations outside of our knowledge, so we can have a better view of the world we live in. Seek ways for our scouts to travel to distant lands, whether it be across savage lands or uncharted waters.

Warlord: One of my first actions would be to seek a great leader among our citizens, who would manage our military.

Please feel free to ask other questions. Many of you may remember my previous attempt at becoming Chieftain and may wish to read over my answers there as well.

My Lords, Ladies and Gentleman of Yasutan,

I am here to swear a pledge of allegiance to you and our country and to make clear my desire to serve this infant nation and to help it mature to it’s full potential of a prosperous empire. History will judge us not on promises, pledges and dreams but on action and I am a man of action. The early days of any civilization are the most crucial. Mistakes made now will cause repercussions for generations and the need for a great leader is more pressing than ever.

Nobody plans to share out his power but by doing this, all he serves to do is dilute it. Precious time will be wasted away as committee after committee argues incessantly over issues of insignificancy. If I am elected, my government and I will listen to the peoples wishes but I know they will trust my government and I to exert authority where we feel necessary. In the latter stages, I propose the construction of some sort of parliament as a check to any unpopular measures as extreme power can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Doing so would require a change in the constitution and a referendum would duly be held so the masses can have their voice heard.

Militarily, the best for of defence is offence. We must build up a strong military to defend against those who would destroy us and destroy those who may become worthy opponents in the future. We must operate a policy of extermination of our most obvious rivals earlier on so as to have a chance of winning overall.

In Foreign Affairs we would do well to make close bonds with one ally and to be indifferent to other nations. That way we can continue to trade without the risk of opening our borders to every state across the globe. With this strong ally, our two great nations will be able to police, not oppress, the rest of the world.

Domestically we need to expand rapidly within our means so as to expand our borders to their maximum potential as early as possible. Only this way can we hope to dominate; only by dominating can we hope to be victorious.

Establishing culture is of high importance to make us the envy of the other nations but I see religion as not a major issue. After all, it sometimes causes more problems than it solves but if the people want it, I would not be wholly unwilling to pursue such an avenue of thought.

We must lead the pack from the beginning in terms of scientific research. Our goals in the early days should be militarily focused and then gradually balance to a military/academic balance. If necessary votes could be taken in the latter stages of which technology to research next but, at least in the early days of my regime, such decisions would be taken by the Minister for Development.

To help me in the running of the country I would create the following offices:

Minister for War: Has control of military units. Reports to myself.

Foreign Minister: Responsible for dealing with other nations in all areas. Reports to myself.

Minister of the Interior: Responsible for overall domestic growth. Reports to me.

Minister for Culture & Intelligence: Responsible for culture of our nation and others. Controls espionage units. Would require close collaboration with Minister for War. Reports to myself

Minister for Research: In control of what is researched and science levels. Reports to myself.

I propose that in the future, once our state is more firmly established, we elect a parliament of 5 citizens who the ministers and myself would be answerable to. Only in the most extreme situations with a majority vote from the cabinet, could such a parliament be suspended ( i.e. During a critical stage during war).

The only other candidate who has readily laid his plans down on the table is Nobody; a commendable effort from a worthy opponent. However, the candidate himself admits he has made mistakes; mistakes, are the one thing this nation cannot hope to survive if they are made too frequently. Therefore, by his own admission, Nobody may not be the best candidate for our growing empire at this time. Consider this when you chose who to vote for.

Remember, a vote for Nobody is literally what it says. Vote Nobody and you shall condemn our nation to an eternity of anonymity in the history books.

The choice is yours.​

Remember, a vote for Nobody is literally what it says. Vote Nobody and you shall condemn our nation to an eternity of anonymity in the history books.

by looking in the history office thread it looks like its already an anonymous history...or maybe Jdubdixon is waiting for the invention of Writing before writing anything up... :)

I shall say that the one who gets me the seat of the cartography office will get my vote... :) Am I allowed to say that? aaah I miss the bribing of Civ 2...

Skipper I would like to point out one of the problems with your platform.

"Nobody plans to share out his power but by doing this, all he serves to do is dilute it. Precious time will be wasted away as committee after committee argues incessantly over issues of insignificancy."

You said this at the start of your thread, but by the end of your thread you said you would add 5 ministers to your government. This is exactly the number of ministers that Nobody has proposed appointing, where is the difference between you two on this issue? In fact your ministers have almost exactly the same role as Noboby's ministers, they're even listed in the same order as his. The only difference I see in your platforms is that you put less stress on gaining a religion than he did.

I wish you luck in the race, but I'd suggest you revise your platform, or revise your attacks on your opponents.

It's kinda unusual to see someone's 1st post be registering as a citizen and the 2nd one to be a self-nomination for the highest elective office.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing to do, but it will be interesting to see if the people go for it. ;)

Hey Skipper,

I should be spending my time trying to take methos votes, but now i have to spend 5 minutes to read through your brief propaganda proposal.

The only other candidate who has readily laid his plans down on the table is Nobody;a commendable effort from a worthy opponent.

Thanks mate, no really i love it when comeone commends me as a worthy opponent. It warms my hart. (really thanks :))

However, the candidate himself admits he has made mistakes; mistakes, are the one thing this nation cannot hope to survive if they are made too frequently.

Everyone makes mistakes, like your m... *holds self* i am sure you have made mistake at some stage.

Therefore, by his own admission, Nobody may not be the best candidate for our growing empire at this time. Consider this when you chose who to vote for.

I never admited that and right nowi shall offically state "I am the Best Candidate for our growing empire"

Nobody plans to share out his power but by doing this, all he serves to do is dilute it. Precious time will be wasted away as committee after committee argues incessantly over issues of insignificancy.

I never once proposed a commitee, if elected i proposed to create some offices (similar to your cabnite ones). You did this plus you propose the creation of parliament. So your whole "nobody wants a committe" was made up as a lame way to attack me. You read my words you know i never intended to create anything like this.

I propose the construction of some sort of parliament.

thanks ..... Hey guys vote for this guy if you want some sort of parliament!

We must operate a policy of extermination.

......OoooKaayyy

In Foreign Affairs we would do well to make close bonds with one ally and to be indifferent to other nations. . With this strong ally, our two great nations will be able to police, not oppress, the rest of the world.

godforbid we should oppress them before the policy of extermination begins.

Establishing culture is of high importance to make us the envy of the other nations but I see religion as not a major issue.

Religion is a huge part of civ4 no matter what your RL beliefs are, we need to get one fast.

Foreign Minister: Responsible for dealing with other nations in all areas. Reports to myself.
Minister of the Interior: Responsible for overall domestic growth. Reports to me.
Minister for Culture & Intelligence: Responsible for culture of our nation and others. Controls espionage units. Would require close collaboration with Minister for War. Reports to myself
Minister for Research: In control of what is researched and science levels. Reports to myself.

They look just like mine, though mine look just like the regular ones from civ3 demogame.

Whats with culture and intell? and why no reference to either civics or religion?

we elect a parliament of 5 citizens who the ministers and myself would be answerable to. The cabinet, could such a parliament be suspended.

As long as we dont need a committe to discuss it.

Bounce along skippy boy, i think the boat is leaving, If you elected this fella it would be like leaving you traped on a island of stupidity with a idiot first mate, a Minister for science and intelligence and a millionairs wife.

(seems to be some unwritten law that says you can mock my name but no one elses)

The choice is yours.

Indeed VOTE NOBODY FOR TERM 2

Hey Skipper,

I should be spending my time trying to take methos votes, but now i have to spend 5 minutes to read through your brief propaganda proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper1989
The only other candidate who has readily laid his plans down on the table is Nobody;a commendable effort from a worthy opponent.

Thanks mate, no really i love it when comeone commends me as a worthy opponent. It warms my hart. (really thanks )

Your Welcome:)

Quote:
However, the candidate himself admits he has made mistakes; mistakes, are the one thing this nation cannot hope to survive if they are made too frequently.

Everyone makes mistakes, like your m... *holds self* i am sure you have made mistake at some stage.

I never said I hadn’t, I only pointed out by your own admission, you had.

Quote:
Therefore, by his own admission, Nobody may not be the best candidate for our growing empire at this time. Consider this when you chose who to vote for.

I never admited that and right nowi shall offically state "I am the Best Candidate for our growing empire"

I took your comment on your mistakes and inferred this judgement. Whether the electorate agree or not is their decision.

Quote:
Nobody plans to share out his power but by doing this, all he serves to do is dilute it. Precious time will be wasted away as committee after committee argues incessantly over issues of insignificancy.

I never once proposed a commitee, if elected i proposed to create some offices (similar to your cabnite ones). You did this plus you propose the creation of parliament. So your whole "nobody wants a committe" was made up as a lame way to attack me. You read my words you know i never intended to create anything like this.

The truth from the mouth of the man himself. While I would open up more freedoms to you in the long run with election of a parliament so more can have their say, this man is readily admitting he has no such plans for freedom and equality - “You read my words you know i never intended to create anything like this.” This mans only aim to become the dictator of our regime. This cannot be allowed to happen.

Quote:
I propose the construction of some sort of parliament.

thanks ..... Hey guys vote for this guy if you want some sort of parliament!

Not immediately, but in the long run yes I believe it would be a good idea. As I said before, and I think I must make clear, we need a strong government at the beginning with limited interference.

Quote:
We must operate a policy of extermination.

......OoooKaayyy
You have actually altered that quote which fully read “We must operate a policy of extermination of our most obvious rivals earlier on so as to have a chance of winning overall.” This does not mean, like you tried to infer, that we set out to kill every man woman and child of every other nation. It means that we go out to hinder those other countries that may oppose us later.

Quote:
In Foreign Affairs we would do well to make close bonds with one ally and to be indifferent to other nations. . With this strong ally, our two great nations will be able to police, not oppress, the rest of the world.

godforbid we should oppress them before the policy of extermination begins.

Once again, you have taken what I have said out of context so allow me to explain your you and the benefit of others. We eliminate our biggest rivals early on and begin to build up strong relations with an ally. Then, in the future, our nations will be the biggest and there would be little need for further wars of expansion.

Quote:
Establishing culture is of high importance to make us the envy of the other nations but I see religion as not a major issue.

Religion is a huge part of civ4 no matter what your RL beliefs are, we need to get one fast.

I would still have to disagree with you on this point. I think whether we go religion quickly or slowly is immaterial. There are other much more pressing issues.

Quote:

They look just like mine, though mine look just like the regular ones from civ3 demogame.

Whats with culture and intell? and why no reference to either civics or religion?

Civics are for my cabinet and I to decide when I am successful however I would be willing to discuss general ideas if people want to ask questions.

In response to your Culture & Intelligence, my answer is why not?

Quote:
we elect a parliament of 5 citizens who the ministers and myself would be answerable to. The cabinet, could such a parliament be suspended.

As long as we dont need a committe to discuss it.

4/10- Nice attempt but poor delivery

Quote:

Bounce along skippy boy, i think the boat is leaving, If you elected this fella it would be like leaving you traped on a island of stupidity with a idiot first mate, a Minister for science and intelligence and a millionairs wife.

(seems to be some unwritten law that says you can mock my name but no one elses)

This man wants to be elected to the highest office of our State yet he is petty enough to resort to insults…I therefore request the electorate think long and hard if this man has the maturity to take on a position of such great responsibility.

Quote:
The choice is yours.

Indeed VOTE NOBODY FOR TERM 2

…and ruin this Nation’s chances of developing into something great. I do not hide behind a façade of colourful fonts and big letters! They will not help when there is a crisis on hand which requires a cool head and steady nerve.

Vote Skipper and these are qualities you will find in abundance​

Skipper you are totally inconsistent with your attacks on Nobody, first you say he's going to spread power too thin and be ineffective, then you say he'll be a dictator. You insult his choice of name in the end of your self-nomination post, and then you criticize him for insulting yours at the end of his response.

I'd suggest you get some more experience in the demogame before running for the highest office. This race is far too cut-throat for my tastes, I'm voting for Methos.

Top Bottom