Term 2- Nominations for Secretary of State

RoboPig

Deity
The Secretary of State is a member of the Triumvirate. The Secretary of State shall have control of the Foreign policy of our nation with the exception in the Declaration of War/Peace/Alliance and the trade of cities.

If nominated, please accept or decline
You may nominate yourself
Nominations shall close at 4:00 PM GMT on Jan. 27th

i self-nominate and accept for Secretary of State.

G-R-E-E-K-G-U-Y GREEKGUY! YAY! The sole surviving member of the triumverate is truly a good and noble citizen, worthy of such an office!

I am honored to receive your nomination, Blkbird. However, I feel that I must delay my acceptance as the result of the Restart Poll will influence my decision.

If we end up restarting because of the result of that poll, I will have to do a lot of soul-searching. It would be hard for me to dedicate a lot of my time (especially as an elected official) if I was afraid we'd just restart again shortly after.

Oh and I'd also be going up against a strong opponent who would be tough to defeat. Greekguy did a great job managing both the positions of Secretary of State and President.

Questions for candidates:

1. Do you have [civ4]?
  2. If you don't have [civ4] will you be able to post accurate instructions, given the implied limitation of not having seen the various screens or experienced the kinds of demands an AI might make?

Now that the Restart poll has closed, I will graciously ACCEPT my nomination. Thanks again Blkbird, it truly was a surprise to see my name there!

Greekguy is a worthy opponent, but I can't just let him have it for free, can I? ;)

I'll post my platform later tonight.

---

To consolidate posts, here are my (quite short) answers to DaveShack's questions:

1. Yes
2. N/A

(I should be a politician with those kinds of answers! :D)

DaveShack said:
Questions for candidates:
  1. Do you have [civ4]?
  2. If you don't have [civ4] will you be able to post accurate instructions, given the implied limitation of not having seen the various screens or experienced the kinds of demands an AI might make?

1. Well it is pretty much already known, but i don't own Civ 4.
2. I will post the most accurate information i can, however, some stuff will be missing, because my lack of owning Civ 4. I will try my best to attend as many chats as i can and read Civ 4 stories on various sites to get a better feel for the game (which i've already started doing).

First of all I feel that I'm coming into this election as an underdog. Greekguy has been around longer than I have, and has the power of incumbency. When voting for me, you'll have to rely on the level of professionalism that I've demonstrated in my posts. If you do give me your vote, I will live up to everything that I say, and I will make your vote worthwile.

So without further ado, I present to you my platform:

---

There seems to be a general misconception that, at least this early on, the Secretary of State position is an easy and unimportant one. It's quite the contrary, actually. Not knowing what is out there makes this position particularly challenging. The goal that I have as your next Secretary of State is to provide clear and precise rules for the Designated Player so they can make the right choice (at least most of the time). However, concerning foreign affairs and trade, many unexpected things can happen. I will make my instructions flexible so we can account for those scenarios as well.

But even better than that, I promise to attend at least 50% of the online turnchats if I am elected. I understand that even the best instructions aren't bulletproof, and my presence at the turnchat will help clarify any issues that may come up.

Precise instructions help avoid mistakes in the game. There is an even more important reason for them, though. I'm going to try to provide the best instructions possible because that's what You, the Citizens, deserve. I'm going to listen to all of the citizen input that I receive and factor it into my decision, because I represent the Citizens. If I am elected, I owe it to those who voted for me to accurately represent their voice in our nation's Government.

If I were to make all of the decisions on my own, I would work on improving our relationship with our neighboring nations. It's important to establish some friends early on, so you can grow your relationship over time and have a strong and dedicated ally for a large part of the game. I pick and choose my allies very carefully though, because it's not very useful to have 3 weak allies and 5 strong enemies. At least for now, it's best to start out on the right foot; we can pick and choose later. If we alienate all of the other civs then we may find ourselves in a bad situation.

I have a vision for our Civ's future, but the door is always open for discussion. Feel free to question my judgement as you wish; I will always attempt to explain my reasoning, or I may even agree with you and change my mind. I will not go against a large majority. Remember, I serve you, not the other way around.

For a clear but flexible vision, vote Sigma today.

Any questions guys? i'll put up my platform later today.

More questions for candidates (carry forward into the election if necessary).

• Would you anticipate classifying the other civs we meet as friend or foe, and then sticking with that classification throughout the game? Don't think of this as a yes/no question, please elaborate. :)
  • What factors should be used when deciding how to handle the other civs?
  • What interactions do you see between your department and others?
  • Are you willing and able to assume duties of other Triumvirate members, if needed?

Would you anticipate classifying the other civs we meet as friend or foe, and then sticking with that classification throughout the game? Don't think of this as a yes/no question, please elaborate.
I think that making a judgement at the beginning of the game and then blindly sticking it to it for the rest of the game is a recipe for disaster. While we may initially intend to befriend one civ and make an enemy out of the other, there are many external circumstances that may come up (explained in the next answer), and there is nothing stopping our opinions of other Civs from changing from one turn to the next.

What factors should be used when deciding how to handle the other civs?
The most obvious factor is the Aggressive personality trait. Most aggressive leaders will usually turn on you later on in the game, so it's not worth investing too much time in developing a "life-long" friendship. However, if we do manage to befriend an aggressive civ, they may turn out to be a useful war ally...
Another factor is their location. If a civ is bordering you, I find it's good to make a good friend out of them (despite the "Our close borders spark tensions"), because if you ever end up in a war with someone else, your friend civ can act as a "buffer", and if you can get your friend to declare war on your enemy, then that opens up another front against your enemy, but further away from your borders.
Thirdly, religion is a key factor. It's so much easier to make a friend if they share your religion, than if they are a different one (especially if they are spiritual). If I manage to find a civ with no religion, I convert him to my state religion as fast as possible to secure another friend.
Last but not least is the civ's score (in relation to other civs). Allying with strong nations will get you farther than allying with weak ones. Civs with higher scores will often have better techs and/or more gold - and if you are friendly with these civs you will get better trades, or maybe even stuff for free! (I love it when that happens)
There are many factors that go into deciding how we should treat, or respond to actions by, another civ: it is not black and white. But the most important thing in the early game is to try to be as nice as we can - there's no use risking a war this early when we have no one to back us up. It's better to let the game follow its course a while longer so we can be more educated when we pick our friends and enemies.

What interactions do you see between your department and others?
At first, the most interaction the Secretary of State has is with the Minister of Technology - as it is a direct result of his decisions for when I can begin trading gold and techs. After Alphabet and Currency have been researched, I will work with the Minister of Technology to see which techs he would be willing to trade away, and which ones he'd like in return. I will work with the Secretary of War (and President for Naval units) because my political moves should fall in line with his military plans, and vice versa. Also, if he needs to upgrade our military, I can change my stance on trade so we can get more gold to fund the upgrades. Finally, I will work with the Censor because sometimes my job involves changing civics or religion as requested (or demanded) by other civs. Since my hands are tied on these decisions, I would work with him so we can know ahead of time, according to the votes by the Citizens Assembly, what course of action we should take.

Are you willing and able to assume duties of other Triumvirate members, if needed?
I am always willing to go above and beyond, whether or not it is asked of me. That's one of the major reasons why I'm a student at such a great university.

DaveShack said:
More questions for candidates (carry forward into the election if necessary).
  • Would you anticipate classifying the other civs we meet as friend or foe, and then sticking with that classification throughout the game? Don't think of this as a yes/no question, please elaborate. :)
  • What factors should be used when deciding how to handle the other civs?
  • What interactions do you see between your department and others?
  • Are you willing and able to assume duties of other Triumvirate members, if needed?

#1 Yes, i would classify our opponents into either friend, foe, or undecided. For instance, the first civ we found, the Mongols, I would classify as a foe. This would be because of their agressive nature, and the fact they are very close to us. There will probably be a good chance conflict will arise in the future. I don't think a classification would last the whole game, but certain circumstances would have to occur to change a foe to a friend. i.e. they switching to our religion, them coming to us for a Military Alliance.

#2 The single most important factor is religion. The best way to garner support in a war would be to convert a rival civ to our religion. The best way to get good trade relations going with another civ, is sharing a common faith. I will focus on trying to convince our Minister of Culture to convert certain civs to our faith. Another important factor is terrain value. If a civ is sitting next to us with green grasslands and rolling hills, we might want to take their land. ;) If a civ on the other side of our continent has only mediocore terrain, we would probably want to make them our ally.

#3 The most important department interaction would be among my fellow tri members, President and Secretary of War. Both would work with me closely on several decisions, including Mobilization, Director of Intelligence hiring/firing, and Stop orders. Also, for me to declare on an enemy nation wisely, I need to know our troop's strength and their capabilites. Thus, the Sec. of War would be the Gov. official I would work with the closest.

#4 I believe I have shown I am willing and able to do so this term...it was a crazy term, there was never a dull moment. :crazyeye:

EDIT: My platform will go in the election thread when it goes up.

Top Bottom