Term 2- Nominations for the GOvernor of Boaring Wallow

Nomad Bryce said:
Is CivGeneral a he? I assumed they were a she because the picture appeared to be female.

Your avatar is what you like ;). Mine is a picture of Yuna from FFX (Final Fantasy is an obession of mine). I believe CG's is a picture of Mara Jade (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Nomad Bryce said:
Is CivGeneral a he? I assumed they were a she because the picture appeared to be female.

Don't even start that old tangent. :p (*cough*Mara*cough*Jade*cough*)

Debate time!

CivGeneral said:
I have decided to re-accept my nomination. And yes this is my last declination-accepting in an office and sticking my efforts into this office.

So, does that mean I can accept again? :mischief: (I kid! I kid!)

I have been playing Civ4 for a while now and I have certanly gotten the hang of city management. As Governor of Boaring Wallo, I will micromanage the city to ensure that it provides production for our military and improvements as well as maintaining food reserves in the city.

But... there IS no micromanagement on the scale of Civ3. Production carries over.

The build queues I plan to utalize will consist of building improvements and will add in any military units the military department requests to have. I will also alternate from building city improvements and military units to ensure a healthy ballance of improvements as well as military units. Right now, the City has a warrior to be compleated within 16 turns. I plan, after the warrior is compleated, is to build a barrack so that any additional land units are produced, that they recive four extra experiance points and will lead us to build the heroic epic later in the future. I will of course micromanage so that there would be more production so that the barrack is compleated faster by using the surrounding forest (No, I dont plan to chop them down, I plan to have our citizens work there). Once a Barrack is done, I do wish to build a settler to help in expanding our empire as well as produce warriors to export to other cities.

1 - What kind of improvements?

2 - So, let's say we have the Heroic Epic in our capital. (should we get there that far) Will you build another National Wonder in that city? If so, what wonder?

3 - You're gonna build a barracks BEFORE a settler?

4 - Hypothetical situation. Suppose we're building a wonder (with other wonders available), and we know that the AI is also building that wonder, or could be building it, and might be finished before us. We have the slavery civic. What will you do, if possible, to speed up turns?

My current platform at the moment is to ensure that we build a pasture on the pigs and connect them to our road network. On the topic of terrain improvements, I will preserve our forests since they are a good resource for production before we start mining any hills or building workshops.

I have experiance from previous demogames (Civ3) and do have a basic grasp on the governorship from arranging build queues and micromanaging cities. After playing Civ4 for a while, I have a better grasp in micromanagement.

But does that carry over to Civ4? Can you explain how you have a grasp of micromanagement?

Strider said:
Your avatar is what you like ;). Mine is a picture of Yuna from FFX (Final Fantasy is an obession of mine). I believe CG's is a picture of Mara Jade (correct me if I'm wrong though).
Actauly, My current Avatar is actualy Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell fame.

Chieftess said:
First growth and then cultural improvements. I feel that we should pump out settlers out ASAP. My reasoning behind this is to ensure the growth of our labor pool and the growth of our cultural borders.

Chieftess said:
2 - So, let's say we have the Heroic Epic in our capital. (should we get there that far) Will you build another National Wonder in that city? If so, what wonder?
Since we are limited to two national wonders per city. Plus I would leave the wonders (both world and national) to the discussion of the forums. I would build the Heroic Epic to take advantage of the 100% production for military units. The next national wonder I would build will be to build the ironworks which will further adds to the production.

Chieftess said:
My reasoning behind building the barracks before a settler is that I felt that we need experianced military units defending our fronter cities. A military unit with experiance and Combat I and II would be much more stronger than a military unit without any of the promotions

Chieftess said:
4 - Hypothetical situation. Suppose we're building a wonder (with other wonders available), and we know that the AI is also building that wonder, or could be building it, and might be finished before us. We have the slavery civic. What will you do, if possible, to speed up turns?
First of all, I would reassign the citizens to produce more production by placing them on hills, forests, and other terrain tiles with a production tile improvement. If the city is not finishing the wonder in time, then I would have to resort to pop-rushing and sacrificing a citizen in order to bring up production. Pop-rushing for me will only be used as a last resourt when there are no other ways to effectively bring the production up to speed in the wonders race.

Any other canidates can answer these.

First growth and then cultural improvements. I feel that we should pump out settlers out ASAP. My reasoning behind this is to ensure the growth of our labor pool and the growth of our cultural borders.

How many settlers? What's your goal for a good number? Also, how will you deal with the ensuing economic crisis that will ensue with too many undeveloped cities at once?

Since we are limited to two national wonders per city.

That's what I wanted to hear. :) (I owe you one, Ginger_Ale)

First of all, I would reassign the citizens to produce more production by placing them on hills, forests, and other terrain tiles with a production tile improvement. If the city is not finishing the wonder in time, then I would have to resort to pop-rushing and sacrificing a citizen in order to bring up production. Pop-rushing for me will only be used as a last resourt when there are no other ways to effectively bring the production up to speed in the wonders race.

Why not chop down forests? Pop-rushing is EXPENSIVE, and our cities probably won't be that high in population yet for a good poprush. Chopping forests (yes, they can regrow) do count towards production.

Oh, and do answer my last question.

Chieftess said:
But does that carry over to Civ4? Can you explain how you have a grasp of micromanagement?
Only the basics carry over which is by looking at the city view and look at the surounding landscape within the city area and take note of how many of each icon is on each tile. I have gotten a better grasp of MM due enpart of the GUI which shows me the icons before I place a citizen on that tile unlike in Civ3 where I had to plop and remove a citizen to see what that terrain would produce. Mostly it was just practace and tweaking things around in a particular city that helped me gain a better grasp of MM of citizens.

Chieftess said:
Why not chop down forests? Pop-rushing is EXPENSIVE, and our cities probably won't be that high in population yet for a good poprush. Chopping forests (yes, they can regrow) do count towards production.
Certanly I have no quarlms of harvesting our forests in order to add into our production base. As I stated before, pop-rushing is and will only be used as a last resort. Certanly choping forests as a wonder race emergency will be an option for me.

Chieftess said:
How many settlers? What's your goal for a good number? Also, how will you deal with the ensuing economic crisis that will ensue with too many undeveloped cities at once?
For this term, The settler quota that I plan to set would be 6 settlers for this term. The reasoning behind that is that I am thinking realisticly since there are factors to take into consideration such as development of another city and military unit production. The plan that I have is that the second city (after it has gotten a production foodhold), produce settlers (along with city improvements) while the Capital would build city improvements and military units to defend the settlers as well as defending newly founded cities.

For an economic crisis. I would reassign the workers to work on tiles that has a higher gold yeild and have any workers in the area to produce cottages. If we have encountered any seafaring techs, build harbors to recive a 50% bonus from trade routes in cities that are on the coast and build markets in other cities (as well as promoting citizens into merchants).

Am I wrong in assuming that whomever is elected here will be in charge of the first 3 cities?

Also in order to answer your questions Chieftess I need an estimate of how many turns we'll be playing during this term. We've had 3 turnsets in about 10 days. Is that normal spacing? could I assume that 80-100 turns will take place in term 2 (Feb)?

settler mod said:
barracks most definately but not until a settler is out.
library
no forge... that'll come much later
no harbor either :p

settler mod said:
There will not be two wonders built during this next term. It would hurt expansion, military, and infrastructure

settler mod said:
Heck no.

settler mod said:
maybe chop a forest or two (but leaving at least 2 forests - I've found that they are beneficial for more than chopping). Pop rushing isn't that bad, and can be quickly made back up with the pigs and farmed land. While not efficient, it would be better in my eyes to get the wonder than just grab the money at the end of production and not have anything but gold as your compensation for losing the wonder. While the chunk of change is nice for maxing out reserach for longer periods of time, the same effect can be had by building the correct improvements for the cities and improving the land correctly.

Depending on how many turns we play, I'd have to say that 4 settlers would be a more appropriate number. Expansion too fast will kill you literally. Infrastructure WILL need to be built. With out it you will have horrendous research. Also without proper military coverage you will be inviting Ghengis to walk on into you streets

CivGeneral said:
For an economic crisis. I would reassign the workers to work on tiles that has a higher gold yeild and have any workers in the area to produce cottages. If we have encountered any seafaring techs, build harbors to recive a 50% bonus from trade routes in cities that are on the coast and build markets in other cities (as well as promoting citizens into merchants).
Cottages should be built right off of the bat. The more that they are worked the better that they become. Even if someone else wins this election, PLEASE build cottages. the Flood plains will automatically give an extra food and gold than the standard 2 food per pop. Cottages there will be powerful for later in our term and moving forward.

Tubby Rower said:
Am I wrong in assuming that whomever is elected here will be in charge of the first 3 cities?

Wrong assumption. This has been clearified several times, plus it's specified explicitly in the CoL: The Capital city will not belong to any State, so the Govenor of the Capital city will preside over one city only.

Tubby Rower said:
Also in order to answer your questions Chieftess I need an estimate of how many turns we'll be playing during this term. We've had 3 turnsets in about 10 days. Is that normal spacing? could I assume that 80-100 turns will take place in term 2 (Feb)?

Two Game Sessions per week, 10 turns each if no unforseen events happen. That's 100 turns max in a term, or it could be less if we go to war or something.

I wish to withdraw my nomination, because for this type of government position I believe there are better people to fill the spot, and would have a better understanding of the management of Boaring Wallow.

You're too late. Elections already started. Post that in the election thread.

Top Bottom