1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 2 - Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy IV' started by Bootstoots, Jan 27, 2004.

?

Who shall be the next President?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2004.
  1. Rik Meleet

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. zorven

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Now Zorven's pulling out in front! (Reminds me of another certain presidential election...)

2. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Yup, looks like Zorvan is going to win it.

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

...and it's only been 1 full day.

4. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

I'm regaining ground. After being 13-18 down it's now 16-18.

5. Rik Meleet

I have decided to withdraw from this election.

I started my Presidency with enthousiasm in Term 1, but lately that has deminished a lot. In the first TC I was forced to pop a hut I didn't want due to military instructions. I repeatedly asked, even demanded clear and complete instructions, with some flexebility for the DP, but I didn't get them sufficiently. I followed the will of the people (which was polled) in setting my alarm clock for sunday 07:00 (7am) to be able to play an extra turn, for which I received only critisism and a judicial-investigation. I was forced to use unworkable instructions due to a slack senate and a banned VP. I filed a CC to awaken our leaders and despite the victim of the CC posting his instructions on time and sufficiently specific with room to maneuver, I didn't succeed in receiving the instructions the President (read DP) needs to be able to play from all offices. It seems there was nothing I could do right in term 1; if I'd follow instructions I was called a coward and a fool; if I didn't follow them I would be CC-ed. I was threatened by a CC for disobeying instructions which were hard to comprehend for a non native-english speaker. I was threatened by CC's for following legal instructions to the letter. I was threatened by CC's in nearly every TC. That's not enjoyment for me.

I seriously contemplated starting the thursday Januari 29th TC and ending it 1 minute later. I decided that that will do our nation no good and will certainly not retain the peace within. So I played. I have committed a crime; purposely ignoring the senate-instructions of fixxing the slider to 100% science. The reason for this wasn't game specific (at one time lowering to 90% gets us the tech in the same time, but increases our income) but more an accusation to the instructions in general and the senate specifically.

The DP can't work this way. Give him the room the game needs.

I congratulate zorven on his election. I hope he'll get a better work-environment with clear, complete and workable instructions. I want to be just a citizen in term 2. If the system improves I'll be up for election again. If it doesn't I won't run for any office. Or perhaps I will to show what instructions are needed. I am still undecided.

regards,
    a heavily diappointed president.
    Rik Meleet

6. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

IMHO, Zorvan will receive the same fate, as it is impossible for anyone, even our best leaders, to post the instructions this game requires,

In my view Rik, you did the best job you could under the circumstance's, and I congratulate you on that.

7. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I certainly understand your position Rik Meleet. I think you did a great job under the circumstances you describe and hope to have you continue your involvement in the game. Congrats on a fine job.

8. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

That is truly unfortunate Rik. I personally had no idea of such issues in the game. Personally I think you did a good job, and now I think you did a great job after hearing of your plight. I hope you may come to rule again without such issues at a later time.

9. Rik Meleet

I consider that disrespect for the President. They oughtto make a law against that.
    Don't worry. I am not intending to leave. I intend to be a citizen in term 2 and then run for office again. I want to show how instructions are posted properly.

10. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

i think you did the right thing rik, hopefully this election we can have a better and more active senate

11. Rik Meleet

Congratulations zorven. I have full confidence in you. I hope you'll get a posting senate and office-holders.

1 thing though. Can you PM me to finetune the "End of term" TC ?

12. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I feel this is unfortunate.

What happened between the begining of this election, and now, to cause you to change your mind?