Term 2 - Trade N Tech (TNT)

CommandoBob

AbstractArt
Minister of Trade and Technology - The Minister of Trade and Technology is responsible for all trade initiatives and research goals. The Minister also coordinates any plans for spaceship construction.

Right now we have learned Alphabet and are about 16 turns away from Writing. Our current bank balance is 51 gold and at 100% science we have a -3 gpt. At this rate, we have 17 turns before we reach zero, so even if we do nothing we can still obtain this tech in 16 turns.

However....our capital city, Tara, is currently at size 1 and about to grow on this next IBT. Moira, our other city, is producing a Warrior. We have a third city on its way, but I have not concerned myself with it at this point.

Our science is closely tied to our economy. Right now, we have one granary and we are building a barracks. We have 10 units but only 8 are free. A third city will change that number.

In short, I think we can and should continue to keep science at 100% for the forseeable future.

Next techs after Alphabet: Code of Laws and then Philosophy, for we hope to take the Republic slingshot.

We have no one to trade with at this moment. We know nobody else, per F4. Someone mentioned a trade with the English but I don't see how this could be done.

Hold on CB! :) If you're getting your info from the Historical Statistics Department thread, you'll need to go to the last post, always. The current info will ALWAYS be in the last post. The last year of the last Game Session was/is 1830BC.

You might want to take a look at that and update your info. :goodjob:

Hold on CB! :) If you're getting your info from the Historical Statistics Department thread, you'll need to go to the last post, always. The current info will ALWAYS be in the last post. The last year of the last Game Session was/is 1830BC.

You might want to take a look at that and update your info. :goodjob:
Nooo, I made the obvious mistake and went to the tread named: Official Game Saves and got the latest save from there, in Post #2.

In 1830 BC we have learn Writing and are researching Philosophy, 12 turns, 100% science at -3 gpt, with 75 gold. Bankruptcy is not a problem.

After Philosophy I would suggest Code of Laws as our next tech, keeping our sights set on Republic.

Nooo, I made the obvious mistake and went to the tread named: Official Game Saves and got the latest save from there, in Post #2.
Sorry about that. Post three of that thread will be made by DaveShack. He will handle Term #2.

Byzantium is stoopid (and broke) and England can trade Iron Working/85 gold.

Iron Working reveals Iron Ore, which is found on Hills and Mountains. Within four tiles of our current borders are 3 Mountains and 9 visible Hill tiles. Two of the nine Hills have Incense, leaving Seven of Nine (go Jeri Ryan!) as possible Iron deposits. That doesn't sound too good for us having a native source of this precious ore.

England wants Writing and Warrior Code for Iron Working, but we can counter offer just Writing for IW and 39 of 85 gold and they will take it.

The bigger question is do we want it.

Iron Working also unlocks our UU, the Gallic Sword, which hits like a Sword, defends like a Sword but moves like a Horse. So, we win a battle with this bad boy and we kick off our Golden Age.

We must know Iron Working before we can begin Construction, which allow aqueducts and colosseums. The first we need, the second we don't. Construction is generally one of the last techs learned in the Ancient Age; either that or Currency.

Once we learn IW and Iron is connected (which could happen if City 3 is sitting on an Iron Hill) we can no longer build Warriors, which are nice and cheap and can serve as MPs untile we get into Repbulic.

Trade Assessment
No on an Iron Working trade in the near future.

We are far away from England. We both have 3 cities (London, York and a third city West of York across the lake) but we will soon have more. And we can manage them better than Elizabeth can. We have little to fear from them.

We could accidently trigger our Golden Age. We don't want to do that in Despotism with only a handful of cities. Once we have seven cities or so, I think we should begin to make plans to start our Golden Age. I do think we should wait until we are in Republic before we have our Golden Age. I think we should have at least 10 cities or maybe even have gotten the Forbidden Palace popup before we trigger those exceptional twenty turns. But the Golden Age is a public decision and my views here are focused on not abusing that one time gift.

I am very concerned about triggering a Despotic Golden Age. Perhaps too concerned; I cannot tell.

We do not have a likely source of Iron inside our borders.

We could meet other people and get it cheaper. Cheaper doesn't mean less dangerous to our interests; just cheaper to buy. We might even make some cash by selling it to someone rich but stoopid.

Given that England is our Mortal Enemy, trade might be considered out of the question. That is a decision for our citizens to make.

Random Musing
If we wanted to start our Golden Age with the destruction of England, whether soon or in the distant future, we could keep some Gallic Swords garrisoned in our cities until the time was right. Depends on what we plan to do with the High and Mighty Limeys.

Outstanding, CB! That's what I call a report. I definitely agree that triggering a Despotic Golden Age would not be in our best interest. Looks like a close race may be instore for us in Philosophy. But if we're the first, we'll take COL and then research Republic. Thanks.

How does this relate to the what to research next thread in the citizens forum? There the suggestion has been made that we need COL before Philosophy, has the decision already been made to research Philosophy first? No beakers have been invested in Philosophy yet as the previous tech has only just been completed so we can change without loss.

I did this analysis in ignorance of that thread. (Man, that sounds stuffy.)

Which doesn't mean my conclusions are the last word. Plenty of room for discussion.

I would not mind switching to COL.

I believe Minister CommandoBob was leaning towards COL, Philo, and getting Republic for free. I could be wrong, maybe he'll be at the T/C.

Minister CommandoBob,

We have learned Philosophy, discovered Republic in a technological leap, and research is set to Iron Working but nothing has been invested in it yet. Is that the right choice? What should be next?

Off the top of my head, that sounds good. An excellent work, too! :goodjob:

As you know, I'm afraid of a too early Golden Age from our UU, but there are ways to avoid that.

I will need to check the game for our trading options, if any.

Knowing where the Iron is helps us know where to settle, we don't have to hook it up right away. Now that we have achieved our first goal of getting the sling, we can start back-filling research, since it looks like we have some weak research by the AI. This is a level where you can get minimal research help at best and hardly any at worst. I think we should trade with the Byzantines for Masonry, anything we can get in trade helps. Besides, we want them to help us research, and anything we trade them they won't have to research.

I think that trading Code of Laws to Byzantium for Masonry and all 75 of their gold is a good dea.

The other tribe, Those-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, we will continue to ignore in trading.

EDIT:
Theodora may also know Mathematics. Math leads to Currency and Markets. If we have a dire need for markets (a Domestic issue), I would suggest we trade Philolosophy for Math and start to research Currency. If the need is not great, I would not make such a trade.

I'm thinking that Literature, instead of Iron Working should be our next tech. It looks like our defenses our pretty sound and we are not at war, so an immediate need for Iron Working is not present.

I favor Literature for the trading advantages it gives us. Others may know CoL, but Philosophy we have a monopoly on and also Republic. Once we get a Curragh across the ocean we will meet new civs. With Lit, CoL, Philo and Republic in near monopoly status, we can trade for all the Ancient techs, including Iron Working. At some point the Orange Apes will sell Iron Working to fair Theodora and we can buy it from her.

Literature lets us build libraries, which are good for culture and research.

Looks like we have some potential trades!

Byzantines have Iron Working, Masonry and Map Making they are willing to trade for our Philosophy, Code of Laws and Literature. Not sure if we will want to trade Literature yet, if not we won't be able to get all 3, but we could get Iron Working, Masonry and 21 gold for Philosophy.

Top Bottom