1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 3 – Election for President

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Furiey, Sep 26, 2005.

?

Who will be the next President of Fanatikos?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2005.
  1. Donovan Zoi

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. ravensfire

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

First the White Sox, and now this......

Oh, well. Our stats in Term 2 speak for themselves.

2. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Histograph or Cultural. How? The same way I have been doing throughout Term 2: seeing what others don't.

There, that oughtta tie it up..... :lol:

3. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

For this game, with the stucture we have, my preference is Spaceship, followed by Diplomancy

Diplomacy is a gimme win - anyone can by buying their way, but if we choose to NOT buy our way through, we must play honorably and fairly through out. The temptation to "adjust" the odds will be too great, however, and I fear that many people would vote for a massive foreign aid plan.

Spaceship requires time to develop our cities, and time for our opponents to possibly fight back against us. We need solid teamwork, to build the parts and defend the homeland. My hope is that all parts would be built in the homeland, and our freed cities will aid in our defense. With multiple DP's, allowing game sessions to extend beyond 10 turns, and fewer cities, this is a viable strategy.

Domination is right out. There's just no way in a 5BC that we could win it.

Histograph is also out. The time required, even with many turns per game session, is just too long.

Conquest is very possible. Indeed, with a strong core producing troops, backed up by the freed cities, we could succeed. I prefer a more "refined" approach, however.

Culture is extremely difficult. It's possible, as we can focus on culture earlier, without the need for massive expansion. The 120k is very difficult, without the large city base needed. The 25k city is more probably, but we might be too late to push a city into that goal.

My preference is Spaceship, with Diplomacy a close second.

-- Ravensfire, candidate for President

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Wow. 12/11/1. I knew this was going to be a tough choice.

I'm impressed with DZ's Term 2. It was good to see him go full bore for an entire Term and accomplish so much. Post #21 reminds me of my Term as Domestic Advisor. :goodjob:

I do like Ravenfire's answer to the End Game question, though. I think that Spaceship, although not one of my favorite Civ3 Victory types, would be obtainable and very challenging at the same time (can't stand Diplo Victories).

I may just vote to tie it up, but let me think about it.... :mischief:

5. Cyc

Oh,man....
    Somebody already tied it up.... :sad:

6. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

At first ravensfire was getting pwned, but now it's tied! :eek: I'll make the popcorn.

Did I just type "pwned?"

7. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

I have to say that the scales have been tipped in ravensfire's favor, due to my vote. I felt that ravensfire has done an exempliary(sp?) job so far and deserves to have an important position such as president.

8. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

Well I place my vote for ravensfire, as Spaceship is the one victory I really want us to do this game. No hard feelings Donovan_Zoi!

9. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Outvoted 11-1 after an 11-3 lead. Pathetic. :(

I've got a busy month in October, so I am conceding this thing.

Good luck, Ravensfire! Hope you can do more with this ghost town than I have. ;)

Thanks for having me as President in Term 2. See you all in Civ4! :D

10. Ranger99

Ranger99 Ranger99's Going to NAVY?

Ok, wait wait wait, does that mean that you're quitting the WHOLE DG!!???

NOOOO!! Not good, at all, please stay, please, please, please, please, stay!

-Ranger99-

11. ravensfire

Uh huh - and the next 12 hours will see me go 1-4 probably!

This is the second extremely close race I've been in, and the last one ended as a tie (Hi Cyc! :wavey: ), so no way do I think this is over! Heck, you almost go my withdrawal speech this morning!

-- Ravensfire

12. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Thanks, Ravensfire, but allow me to repeat myself. I have conceded.

When people are basing their vote on eventual victory conditions instead of our plans for the unfinished business at hand this term, I really think it's time to take a step back.

When people let me lead them to the door of the Republic and have no interest in my plans once we get there, it makes me a bit indifferent too.

It's also telling that the people would prefer Ravensfire plus a "wild card" VP over the two of us pairing our relative strengths. :confused:

Most of all, it's just aggravating to think that you have a well-earned mandate only to watch it slip away the minute you open your mouth. I won't make that mistake again.

Or maybe everyone just wants to go and watch the Cage Match.

Well, this candidate is off to his summer home in Priapos while Ravensfire picks up where I left off. He will be a great leader for this nation, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Respectfully,

Donovan Zoi
    President of Fanatikos

13. Cyc

Bummer. Sorry to see you prematurely eject here, DZ. :(

I was actually basing my vote on your job well done... :rolleyes:

I'm confused, too. I thought you would have made a great team, just as you'd both be good going solo. I'll pretend people just want to watch you play the Cage Match and let it go at that. I'll put a vote for you on the tip of my boot and help you out the door. :lol: Have fun in Priapos.

A Supporter

14. Cyc

Congrats, President Ravensfire! :goodjob:

15. ravensfire

Looks like a tie to me ...

-- Ravensfire

16. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Looks like a tie doesn't matter. Too bad. :(

17. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Chin up, RegentMan. My little act of self-righteousness just saved our nation from an uncertain kickoff to Term 3. Besides, I am pretty sure that my recent behavior here would nullify my runoff chances anyways.

If only the vote tallies would have accumulated less erratically than they had. I would have been satisfied with a neck and neck race to 14-all, as this would have been exactly the race I had hyped when I invited Ravensfire to "battle" in the first place. But until you have seen an 11-3 lead disappear before your very eyes, please try not to judge my erratic behavior.

Ravensfire met my challenge and we fought to a draw. Yet Ravensfire had the resolve to be the last man standing. Now that my bitterness has somewhat subsided, I would like to give him the honor he deserves by congratulating him on what is likely his most unsatisfying of victories. I also call on all who voted for me to ease this transition by giving President-elect Ravensfire your full support.

Thanks for the great race, Ravensfire. It was the stuff that dreams were made of, right up to the point where I flew the coop. I know that you will serve our people better than that. :blush:

Respectfully,

Donovan Zoi
    President of Fanatikos

18. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

A tie is a tie :) As I said early in the thread, I was very happy with both options.

19. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I wanted to see a run-off...

Someone still has to break Donsig and my number of run-offs. That was a fun election :).

20. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Which one was that? DG I or II?