1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 3: Domestic Office - from dust to greatness

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Here lieth the Term 3 domestic affairs thread.

My internet died, so I wont be able to do anything until Saturday/Sunday.

2. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Yes, I will be serving as Domestic Minister pro-tem for a few days. :evilgrin:

3. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

GBM
    Congratulations on your election to this distinguished office. I look forward to working with you closely this term.

I would ask that you post in the official Term 3 Instruction thread your intentions for build queues for each of our towns once you restore your internet connection so that we can fine tune them if necessary.

4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Systems of Vekta
  5. Gingerbread Man

I'm back! After seven long days, I'm back!!!!

Cut a long story short, we had to change our internet setup for ultra-security, but at least now I can host a server if you need one. It is only a 256/64kbps connection, so only small files.

Queues will come soon. As with comments on the war plans.

6. Gingerbread Man

We need a poll for our next city. I will draw up a map, with a dense city build. Soon. Make that tomorrow.

If the save comes around by then, well, erm... deal with it :)

7. Gingerbread Man

Here is the city sprawl map. You may be surprised.

it is an amazingly tight build. The only city that will need a hospital is the capital. But that is ok. Just think, when we get our riders, GCA will die quickly. Which means we would ownz most of the continent. We have an advandtage of good land.

Most of you are not used to a dense build. But it will be good. We dont have enough luxuries to support cities that reach size 12. Which is why there is an average of *shock* 9-10 workable tiles per city *shock*. If we had five luxuries, this would have been about 15 tiles per city. If we had seven, I would have assigned full 21 city radii.

Do you think this is too dense? I dont think so. Just think, how many cities above size ten do you have by railroads? not many? how much maintainence does it cost you to run all those temples and cathederals, and collosseums? A lot? How many tiles don't you use until hospitals? with 21 tile radii, that would be about 40-50% of all the tiles in your land.

Never give more than 12 tiles per city. Of course, the exception would be your wonder building cities, and maybe your capital and FP site, to take advantage of low corruption. That means about three cities using 20 tiles, and the rest with 9-10, max 12. Which asks, which cities do we want large radii with? I will suggest Shen Ling (capital), Jiang Mapi (perfect wonder site with river, high commerce + production), and our FP site.

Attached Files:

8. Plux

Plux Emperor

Looks good :D

I just miss a red cross SW of Shen Ling on the coast.

9. Octavian X

I like the proposal too. I do, however, recommend some changes.

First of all, I'd like to see a poll to give the plan a bit of legitimacy.

Second, I'd like to recommend a new site, and moving another. You'll notice both my proposals as the white squares below.

The top one is there because, unseen by that map, sit two whales only accesible from that point once the city's culture expands. These resources will make it very a better site that your proposed.

The second will make use of some tiles the Zhi Gang and Shen Ling will miss.

Attached Files:

10. Gingerbread Man

Plux and Octavian X: Your change requests have been made.

I wanted to fine tune the map before it went to poll, to avoid wasting time with a rejected proposal.

11. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

I like what I see in the vicinity of the capitol GBM. However, I think we have neglected some critical strategic points along the western coastline further in the north. Your current plan has ~15 tiles of coastline without a city on it - too much in my opinion.

Nonetheless, this is an excellent start. My only suggestions would be 1) to add a few cities in the north to allow for more coastal communities, and 2) reposition the eastern towns so that every town has at least two others within 3 tiles (ie 1 turn of movement) of it. Doing so may prevent us from reaching the desired 9-10 size in some towns, but is extremely beneficial from a strategic defense point of view.

12. Gingerbread Man

I should have numbered these for easy reference. Next time...

I will redraw this tomorrow with a little more thought, then when there are no complaints, I will poll it to make it official.

This is how I will usually operate - Post an idea here, let the people scrutinise and critisize it, then make changes, more scrutiny, more changes until as many of us possible are happy with it (I am not going to be able to please everyone) then poll it. My aim is to have it so refined that the poll is almost redundant.

13. Gingerbread Man

OK now, that tomorrow I spoke of is now. Here is the proposal I will be putting forward in a poll, in 24hrs:

Speak now, or forever hold your peace!

Attached Files:

14. Plux

Plux Emperor

The only thing I can remark on this, is that, because of Octavian's suggestion to go for the two whales, I see two land tiles (grass & plains) together with some coastal tiles unused NW of Shen Ling. If we ever get to fulfilling this map then I think we could place a city over there too. Moreover, IF we ever get to own BoP, maybe it would be better placed one tile westwards because of easier defence.

15. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

16. Octavian X

I believe we still need a Minister of Science (a position I am interested in as well. :)) GBM is the one responsible for that apointment.

17. Gingerbread Man

I think there are open slots.

Ok, I will apoint mini-provinces, with two-three adjacent cities each (I reserve the one with Shen Ling ;)). Also, I will appoint Science minister to - Octavian
    Miniprovince 1 to - amirsan
    miniprovince 2 to - Gingerbread Man

I'll take Shen Ling and Zhi Gang.

EDIT: ahhh, what the hey, amirsan, you get governorship over all cities I didn't take.

18. Octavian X

The Governors don't need it, but I as Science Minister need a council vote. ;)

19. Gingerbread Man

Can I post a council vote as Domestic leader? Or do I need the Prezzy to?

20. Octavian X

No, you get to appoint the Minister of Defense and Minister of Science, and post the council vote as well.