Term 3 - Nominations for Minister of Foreign Affairs

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
These are the traditional duties and powers of all councilmembers:

Post polls and discussions to determine citizen desires for departmental policies, plans and agendas.
Cast a tie-breaking vote in the polls determining their departmental policies, plans and agendas.
Formulate departmental policies, plans and agendas based on citizen feedback.
Formulate departmental policies, plans and agendas of their own in the absence of citizen feedback (forum outage, low participation, etc).
Convey these policies, plans and agendas to the President for play in the game.
Call Legislative and Override Council Votes.
Vote in Council Votes of all types

These are the duties assigned to the Minister of Foreign Affairs :

Organize decisions on declarations of war.
Organize decisions on peace treaties.
Organize decisions on construction of embassies.
Organize decisions on rights of passage.
Organize decisions on trade embargoes.
Organize decisions on mutual protection pacts.
Organize decisions on placement of spies.
Organize decisions on intelligence gathering, spying and sabotage.

Please Accept or Decline any nominations you receive.

Yours,
The Election Office

I wish to nominate Bootstoots and Raven1er :)

I second both of these candidates.

I'll nominate Stuck_As_A_Mac for this poistion.

I nth Raven and Boots (and wished the old deputy rule was still around).

:lol: Missed this one, didn't I?

Questions for the candidates:

1. One of the critical areas for this office is determining how to handle demands from other Civs. How do you plan to respond to demands, at various levels, from Babylon and Russia?

2. What are your goals for this office in this term?

3. And of course, prove to me that you are a better candidate than the others!

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

Originally posted by ravensfire

1. One of the critical areas for this office is determining how to handle demands from other Civs. How do you plan to respond to demands, at various levels, from Babylon and Russia?

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

Hey, we all screw up sometimes. BTW the new city under your name was made.
ON TOPIC

1. The only demand i will respond to will be the only demand the Fanaticans want to give, under the will of the people. In no way would I foolishly give up vital opportunities that would avoid us from war. In other words- I will carefully review the past and current demands of Russia and Babylon, responding accordingly, making sure we dont put ourselves into a catastrophy. Cant have that, can we? ;)

2. I plan to strengthen ties to other nations, keep the peace, boost our reputation, and gain as much knowledge has Civly possible about our friends and enemies. And of course, i will do my best to avoid war until it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

3. As some of you may remember- I had past experience in DG 2- I won the FA elections then, only to step down as deputy (how i regret that). Most of the time when ehecatl atzin was not present- i did my best to ensure the safety and reputation of our nation. I am very charasmatic, a great leader, i do not hesitate to ask questions, and i am able to look at a problem from many different view points.

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire
1. My attitude toward tribute demands should be fairly apparent from my instructions. I am generally in favor of paying small demands (40 gold or 2 gpt is what I have generally posted in my instructions) from average to large nations, and only trivial demands (10 gold or less) from nations that are considerably weaker than ours.

2. I hope that we meet many other civs next term, and would look forward to the chance to contact them. I am in favor of galley exploration to discover other civs. We also might face our first war, and I would look forward to handling that from a diplomatic angle.

3. I feel that my instruction format is a very effective type, one that gives the president clear direction without placing a stranglehold on him, and my instructions have been cited as an example of the type of instructions that a leader should post. I have also never missed instructions during my three terms of experience as FA leader. I have recent experience as FA; I have not only this term behind my belt but also two terms as FA leader and one term as FA deputy last DG. I am eager to serve another term as the Foreign Affairs leader of Fanatica, and I definately feel that I am the best candidate for the job.

After much thought I have decided to Accept this nomination – Thanks Bootstoots and Raven1er (although it does seem a bit strange to have the first two candidates nominate the third!). So I suppose I’d better give Ravensfire’s questions a shot as well.

The easy answer to this would be to say either we refuse everything, or we give into everything. The former would very quickly give us a war we weren’t prepared for (see my answer to 2) the latter could cost us our hard earned techs and cripple us through lack of gold. Neither is what we want. So we have to balance what we are prepared to pay against how badly we want to avoid a war. Bootstoots’ instructions have a good go at doing this and I’m sure my instructions would be very similar, although my personal inclination would be to refuse everything from Russia at the moment. My personal feelings are not in themselves what should drive this though, we had discussions about this in the forums early on, and we need to maintain these discussions as the relative threats of the civs change along with our ability to fight a resulting war. I therefore see that it would be my job to raise these issues so they it can be discussed and build the results of that discussion into instructions.

Goal 1 – To only get into wars that we want to get into.
Goal 2 – To build our reputation with our neighbours to maximise our trade and alliance opportunities

And this is the difficult one, because unlike Bootstoots and Raven1er (although his last appearance here was before my lurking) I haven’t held this (or any other) office before. I’ve only been participating from the beginning of this demogame with the last term as Bootstoots deputy. Don’t just vote for me because I’m new though – I have been involved in discussions on many aspects (including Foreign Affairs of course!) since the beginning of this game. Have a look at some of my posts – I’ve been summarising the FA Situation in the Term 2 FA thread, I started the original Embassies - what, where, when thread, and was involved in discussions on AI demands and territory incursions. Have a look and make your mind up on that!

Good luck Bootstoots and Raven1er. Thanks again for the nomination.

Top Bottom