Term 3 - President's Office

Chillaxation

Warlord
Welcome to the President's Office for Licentia for the Third Term of the Civ-4 Demogame.

Chillaxation is Licentia's Term III President.

The following is a summary of the the mission of the President's office:

- to execute faithfully all the powers vested in the Presidency by the citizens of Licentia through the Code;

- to foster, with an eye towards victory conditions, discussion of the specialization and advancement of Licentia's cities;
- to promote independent reporting, and increased governmental transparency;
- to advance a discussion on and to enact new methods of easing the entry of new players;
- to support and organize a volunteer group specifically devoted to promoting the Democracy Game on the rest of the Civfanatics forums;
- to promote the establishment of community netiquette and standards, with an eye to making the game more accessible and less WYSIWYG;

- to advocate increased security and armament;
- to advocate settlement beyond our frontiers;
- to advocate the improvement of territory in accordance with the citizens' desires for specialization.

This is my campaign platform: it addresses a number of issues important to the health of Licentia both in and out of game.

IIIA. Exceptions to Change in taxes:
1. The President may change taxes up to 30% in the event of budget shortfall: our nation losing money instead of gaining or staying even. However the President must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.
2. The turn on which a technology is discovered the President may change taxes by as much as 50% but must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.​

V. The Executive Branch must enforce a vote of the Citizens Assembly even if they disagree with the decision.

IA. The Triumvirate will consist of the President, Secretary of State, and the Secretary of War.

A. Any member of the Triumvirate may endorse a stop order posted by a member of the Cabinet, if such order is within the scope of Cabinet member’s office. A member of the Triumvirate must endorse a Cabinet member’s stop order for said order to be legal.​

IIA. The Powers and Duties of the President
1. During the Turnchat the President, or a Representative of the President, may order the ending of play if continuing requires a decision to be made that can only be made by the Citizens Assembly. If the Turns are being played offline the Designated Player must end play if he is forced to make a decision that can only be made by the Citizens Assembly, provided that no vote on said decision has concluded.
2. The President will define a budget that all other official may not exceed without permission.
3. The President may change the Tax slider no more than 10% every 10 turns, with these exceptions:
A. The President may change taxes up to 30% in the event of budget shortfall: our nation losing money instead of gaining or staying even. However the President must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.
B. The turn on which a technology is discovered the President may change taxes by as much as 50% but must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.​
4. The President is responsible for resolving disputes between officials.
5. The President has all powers not expressly given to another official and not retained by the Citizens Assembly.
6. The units the President controls:
A. The President shall control all Settler and the defensive units assigned to them.
B. The President shall control all naval units.​

I. Workers
IA. Workers, when created, are under the control of the President. The President must assign the workers to either the Minister of the Interior or a Governor before or after a play session; if the worker is not so assigned it will be under the control of the Designated Player for the duration of the play session.
IB. The assignment of a worker is permanent unless the party that has control over the worker releases it back to the President.​

1. Units assigned to guard settlers are under the control President until the settler founds a city. At the founding of a city the President may assign the units guarding that settler to be part of that city’s garrison or may shift control back to the Secretary of War as long as at least one half of the units, rounded up, that guarded the settler become part of the city’s garrison.
2. Units assigned as garrison units fall under the direct control of the Governor of that city.​

II. The President shall choose on a session by session basis on whether he shall be the Designated Player of that session or if the session will be played by a member of the Designated Player Pool.

I. Holder of Triumvirate and Cabinet offices are affected by term limits.

II. No one may be elected to the same Triumvirate or Cabinet office for more that two terms consecutively.

III. After serving two terms in the same Triumvirate or Cabinet office a Citizen must wait at least one term before running for the same office but may run for and hold any other office.

II. Triumvirate Vacancies
IIA. If there is a Vacancy in the Triumvirate, the President shall nominate a citizen to that office. If the Presidency is Vacant, the Secretary of State, or Secretary of War if the Secretary of State is also Vacant, shall nominate a citizen to that office. The citizen must accept the nomination prior any further steps.​

III. Cabinet Vacancies
IIIA. The President must offer the position to the Deputy, if there is one.​
IIIB. If there is no deputy, the President must request interested citizens that do not currently hold office to contact them. If no such citizen contacts the President within 72 hours of the office being declared Vacant, the President may appoint any citizen to the office.​
IIIC. This appointment may be challenged by a confirmation poll.​

V. Judicial Vacancies
VA. The President must request interested citizens that do not currently hold office to contact them. If no such citizen contacts the President within 72 hours of the office being declared Vacant, the President may appoint any citizen to the office.​
VB. This appointment may be challenged by a confirmation poll.​

3/15 - Specialization Roundtable, Part II; Slider discussion.
3/16 - Specialization Roundtable, Part III; TC orders to be posted.
3/17 - Secretary of State appointment; TC review.
3/18 - Netiquette roundtable. 1st city specialization discussion.
3/19 - 2nd city specialization discussion. C4 Demogame stickiness roundtable.
3/20 - 1st city specialization poll. 3rd city specialization discussion.
3/21 - 2nd city specialization poll. Volunteer group discussion/polls.

-----

Definite agenda items are in bold.
Pencilled items are in italics.

Sorry, all - was knocked flat on my back by a bout of laryngitis.

I will be returning to activity tonight.

Mr President,

Our current Sec of State was resigned (with good reason) i was wondering when you were going to start the application process. You know how long these things can take :)

Nobody -

I guess the vacancy announcement for State Secretary got lost among the condolences for CT's family's emergency and the elaborate caveats about proper procedure since the wording of the Code is unclear. It's in that post.

I am aware of how long these things can take. :) I intend to appoint a Secretary of State the moment our Chief Justice is no longer provisional.

Chillaxation said:
Nobody -

I guess the vacancy announcement for State Secretary got lost among the condolences for CT's loss and the elaborate caveats about proper procedure since the wording of the Code is unclear. It's in that post.

I am aware of how long these things can take. :) I intend to appoint a Secretary of State the moment our Chief Justice is no longer provisional.

My grandmother's still alive, so I don't know where the loss came in... She's still recovering -- quite remarkable for her age, and getting better day by day. (She still uses the wrong words occasionally, but is talking more).

Chieftess said:
My grandmother's still alive, so I don't know where the loss came in... She's still recovering, and getting better day by day. (She still uses the wrong words occasionally, but is talking more).

As for the wrong words: she and I both. Like I said in the other post, I pray for a speedy recovery.

Chieftess said:
My grandmother's still alive, so I don't know where the loss came in... She's still recovering -- quite remarkable for her age, and getting better day by day. (She still uses the wrong words occasionally, but is talking more).

Sorry if my request for the appiontment seemed a bit fast, I meant no disrespect to cheiftess

dont start down that road, ask for applications then ill aply if i want to position. If i say i want it now, then some technicality will pop up and blah blah blah

Well now folks are the laws for appointing a Chief Justice (which we are all so familiar with by now) the same for appointing a Secretary of State? I guess some people still haven't gotten the point I've been trying to make since a co-presidency was proposed. :(

Well, there are so many ways to get that point across. I'll just have to keep looking for the right one, I guess.

No, as a matter of fact donsig, they are not. There is no mention of waiting periods, or anything to that effect. The President will simply appoint a member. The Judiciary must then confirm it (for which I request that the President wait until the status of the Judiciary is solidified) and the nominee may be anyone not currently in the Judiciary or Triumvirate (thus including governors, cabinet ministers, etc.) and the appointment may not be challenged by confirmation poll.

Of course, the precise meaning of these words would require a judicial review, but the Code of Laws at this point is at least rather clear, so hopefully that will be unnecessary. As foryour point donsig, I don't know what you're talking about really, so perhaps you could explain it for us? Or am i missing something?

Well Curufinwe, my point was simply that the rules for appointing a Secretary of State are not the same as the rules for appointing a Chief Justice. (It may surprise you to know that I knew that when I made the post. :rolleyes: ) The point behind the point that I've been trying to make since the start of this term is that those of you who want to be officials should actually try reading our constitution and code of laws before going off and doing things. This is especially true of someone who wants to be Chief Justice.

You definately are missing something if you still think you are justified in ruling on Nobody's appointment. There are steps beyond the confirmation poll that I am prepared to take if you persist in ruling on that case yourself.

Since this is the President's thread I would like to volunteer my expert legal services to the President's office. It certianly seems the executive branch could use a good lawyer.

Feel free to take those steps, as they are in your right, and I will equally feel free to continue on my course of action, as it is to me, both legal and just. Sorry for misinterpreting your post, I, perhaps foolishly, interpreted it in a way more favourable to myself then would have been desireable.

Perhaps it would be wise for me to stand aside on this case, as it is doing nothing but divide us, but I remain confident that the people will remain united, and not allow something like this to stand in the way of our commitments. I fyou could clarify what I am missing and how this is a conflict of interest if I was legally appointed to fill a vacancy, then I will happily stand aside.

Finally, I repeat that the meaning of the Constitution and Code of Laws exist only in context of the society in which they are placed.

Hey Chill, i would like to urge you to delare the Office of the Minister of Culture Vacant and begin recieving applications. Beorn has not posted in the DG since before the elcetion.

ANd just to be competive, if you really need an executive branch lawyer, i'm here for you.

Yes, umm, since the president is in charge of the slider and stuff, i just wanted to bring to your attention that were broke and losing money:D

donsig said:
Well now folks are the laws for appointing a Chief Justice (which we are all so familiar with by now) the same for appointing a Secretary of State? I guess some people still haven't gotten the point I've been trying to make since a co-presidency was proposed. :(

Well, there are so many ways to get that point across. I'll just have to keep looking for the right one, I guess.

Donsig -

Here's the relevant section of the code -

--------

II. Triumvirate Vacancies
IIA. If there is a Vacancy in the Triumvirate, the President shall nominate a citizen to that office. If the Presidency is Vacant, the Secretary of State, or Secretary of War if the Secretary of State is also Vacant, shall nominate a citizen to that office. The citizen must accept the nomination prior any further steps.
IIB. The Judiciary shall confirm the appointment. If confirmed, the citizen takes office immediately. If not confirmed, a different citizen must be nominated.
IIC. The nominee may be any citizen that does not currently hold a Triumvirate or Judicial position. If the nominee holds another office, they must resign immediately upon confirmation.
IID. This appointment may not be challenged by a confirmation poll.

---------
and here's a reprinting of my announcement of the vacancy of the SecState position -

---------

Because this position must be confirmed by the judiciary, I will not make an appointment of State Secretary until the Chief Justice has been validated in his appointment by the Censor. This may require that a Chief Justice have been appointed for 72 hours, giving ample time for the assembly to initiate a confirmation poll - 72 hours being the standard of the vacancy section of the Code. An SoS appointment may also require that the CJ be confirmed by the assembly. So if the CJ passes a confirmation poll, I will appoint a Secretary of State shortly afterwards. If the CJ is given no confidence at a confirmation poll, appointments for State Secretary will have to wait until after another Chief Justice is appointed and either confirmed by poll or by 72 hours' silent assent.

Guys - if you think this should go differently, let me know, beforehand. Swiss, this means you particularly, because running the confirmation poll is your pidgin.

------

So, as I said in the initial post - if you see some procedure in there that I don't, honestly, let me know. I do read the relevant portions of the constitution and code beforehand; it's other people's interpretations I can't know and must ask for.

Top Bottom