Term 3 Secretary of War

robboo

Deity
Office of the Secretary of War

Secretary of War: Robboo
cartographer: Whomp

I have asked Whomp to be my cartogapher to insure some overlap in these increasingly tense times and because he did a good job last term as SoW. I am also going to copy his format for his term 2 thread because it was very informative.

My background
This is my first office in a demo-game. This is also my first demo-game. I have been playing Civ since it first came out when I was college freshman. With Civ 4, I enjoy being able to use the Worldbuilder to run "simulations" of future attacks to determine the needed attack force size. It’s not perfect but it gives a good starting point and shows any missing components of your attack force.

I am also a member of Team Aloha and the current UN Representative for them. I have not taken part in any multi-player games except for the one run by Daveshack for some of the people in the MDG.

My Objectives...
My plans for our military are as follows. We must build our forces not only for attack but for defense.

Defense: Pairs of archers with 2 promotions make strong defensive pickets on forested hills and also non front line cities. They are also excellent "cheap" units to use to garrison resource tiles. And to follow the main attack force in any battle to reinforce captured cities

UU usage: In our home peninsula I can see having 2 pairs of chariots stationed. One set west of BW and another in the "neck" of our peninsula. This allows them to react to any problems that come up.

As members of our attack force I would want our chariots to cut roads and attack workers and stray units deep behind enemy lines. Road cutting is more critical in keeping the enemy for reinforcing their front lines.

Attack forces: Mixed arms are a must. We must send our best troops to the front and use our unit's advantages to our benefit.

Our Future.
We know we will have a war sooner or later in this game. It might not be during my term, but if it is we will be prepared. I hope that we can aquire other technologies that will improve our attack and defensive ability especially those that give us swordsmen, archers and catapults.

I also will contact each governor and give requests as how their cities can help my office out by producing the units that we need.

List of units, location and their current assignment as of 3/21 prior to Bengeance's TC

Scouts
Warrior inside Russia.. exploring Russian territory

City Garrisons
Warrior in BW...city garrison duty(governor's control)
Warrior in Abydos..city garrison duty(governor's control)
Archer in Abydos...city garrison duty(governor's control)
Axman in MG...city garrison duty(governor's control)

General troops
Spearmen near Abydos..protecting our horses
Axman NW of BW...sentry duty and worker protection
Axman SW of BW...sentry duty and worker protection--road guard
Axman E Aybdos...Barb guard and sentry watchign our Iron.
Axman South East of Abydos...barb potection and sentry duty
Chariot Abydos...will scout and support barb detection and attacking.

future use

Taken for Term 2 thread

Pajka said:
Robboo, as you haven't started yet your thread for 3rd term, I'll write here, hope you won't mind.
I'd like to take into question the promotions of our newly built units. I've noticed that the 2 new axemen got "Combat 1" pomotion both. I think that it might be better to give to the future axemen "City raider 1" promotion. But even better would be to save the promotions for later as they can be used also for quick healing of the units, not mentioning that during the fight we could chose promotions which would suite us the best depending on our opponent's forces.
What do you and the others think about it?

Whomp and I discussed this situation. We are not sure why the axes was promoted in this fashion especially since earlier in the game promotions were held until the next turnchat.

Combat one does not bother me as much as the Medic promotion given to one of the axes. In my way of battle that effectively removes him from attack because his value as a medic over-rides his attack value. I prefer to use defensive units such as archers or spearmen as stack medics.

I am not laying blame on the DP or anyone. In fact we were not clear in our promotion orders for the last turnchat. In addition neither of us could attend the turnchat, so we were not there to give any input.

In general terms...axes become city raiders until such time as swords become available, then the axes get melee and archery defensive bonus( shock and cover). The swords become our main city attackers.

Archers get promotions based on their use. If they will be garrison for cities,then they get the city defensive bonus. IF they are defensive pickets they get hill bonus or other defensive bonuses that suit the terrain.

Again I welcome your input as well as anyone else.

As far as the DP's instructions go, If there is no clear instructions on how to handle a situation, the DP has the authority to make decisions. So one DP might go ahead and take a promotion while another might be unsure and waits for the next turnchat.

So in the future, If you don't want promotions taken, I would put in your instructions "No promotions this turnchat unless otherwise stated by the Sec. of War or his deputy"

Thats is what I plan to do.

As DoI, I would like to offically request a unit to be used by this office to learn more about the Mongolians. We would like to explore the area just south of Karakorum to see if we can find out any more information on them. We might also be able to find some of their other cities. At this time none of our units have enough stealth to enter their territory, so any unit you would like to use is ok with my office.

I understand if we don't have a unit availabe immediately, but I would like a unit at some point put on this important duty. I have the ability to control all "Spys", so there is also the possibility of you giving a unit over to my office by declaring him a spying unit. (Much like the Warrior/Explorer confusion that happened during the first term.)

GeorgeOP-DoI

I will make the request of the Abydos govenor to turn over one of his garrsion unitsto me for that purpose in exchange I will give him an the closest axeman.

I will also send the warrior North of German territory south to look for the third german city and remove more "black". I also hope to go explore the Russian territory if we maintain Open Borders.

I will submit these requests to the proper offices before next turnchat. Would these proposals suit your needs.

Yes..I wasnt clear..the warrior in Abydos or an axeman will be sent to scout the Mongolians. I want as much intel as possible. Read my instructions in the turnchat thread for clarification. Let me know if you would like changes.

I wish we had Open borders to get a better look around. You might propose that to the citizens assembly and I would support you in that. Wait till after this turnchat to give the poll and discussion more time.T he biggest opposition is some of our people are afraid of the Mongoians placing a city in "our" territory between BW and Abydos. I am not concerned with that due to the large area of land South of Abydos.

Open borders would be a really good idea since it will be a good amount of time before we can mount a siege of any consequence.

robboo said:
Governor..

I have a request from the War department. Could you turnover control of one of your garrison warriors. In exchange I will send one of the axemen that is near BW to your fair city for garrison duty until such time as war breaks out or a more suitable garrison is available. The warrior will be used to gather information on the Mongolians and Russians.

You can either do this right away or wait for the Axman to arrive. What ever you feel comfortable with. Please contact me in my SoW thread once you acccept or decline this and the time frame.
I would be happy to exchange military units. I feel that the axemen should arrive first into the city before I relieve one of the other units.

I also request that you get the horse resource linked to your city so we can start producing chariots.
Ill ensure that a road leading to the horses is compleated, as well as a pasture to be constructed.

Good deal...I will tell the DP.

Robboo, I don't know if you have noticed it, but during the last TC one of our warriors reached new promotion while defending Abydos. The promotion was not chosen yet, so you might be willing to chose it yourself. :)

Thanks for the heads up...I will coose one for next turn chat.
Today I planned on looking at the last turnchat in detail. I will add it to my list of things to look at.

Thanks--

Secretary Robboo,

There's actually two units awaiting promotion. A axe in the capital and the said warrior. I didn't see a need to promote the axe until we need to but the warrior is ready for a woodsman I upgrade.

There are barbs coming from the east towards Abydos so it may be a good chance to promote our two axes on the way.

Whomp.. thanks for the update.

Yeah that warrior needs "woody I" so he can go down towards Mongolia to get what useless errrr.... I mean limited intel that our closed borders can give us.

Axes will hold off a bit since I have a feeling Mongoia will be attacking sooner than we cna be ready. City raider axes wont do any good fighting if we are in a defensive position.

Do you have time for a unit location maps..including "bad guys"? Sometime before the next turn chat is fine.

updated unit composition and locations in post 2

In the future, war may become necisary. In the case of war almost everything would be affected. I ask that you plan ahead and make a plan of what to do incase of war. It will be a messy place if war is declared. Everyone in office would be doing something. It would ease the confusion if we had a set plan of actions of what to do.

I understand that you have some waht of a plan now, but I ask that you enhance them. If you do make the plans they should be specific, up to date:What units where, How to meet any potential threats, and plans of action.

Top Bottom