• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swissempire

Poet Jester
This is the thread of the Term 4 Chief Justice Election

The Candidates are:
Curufinwe
Black_Hole

Those interested in a clarification of my recent statements about "newcomers" can find my statement here.

I truly apologize for any perceived arrogance on part, and ask that my comments do not affect your duty to vote for who you feel is the best candidate in this election.

This one was a bit interesting to decide. I went over the JR’s to get a better feel of both candidates. I believe Curu has learned a lot in his past term and may have good ideas/plans for our upcoming term, but I fear that others will spend too much time fighting his every step, whereby once again putting any proceedings at a standstill. Blackhole has shown the a good knowledge of our laws and constitution and presents an informative post.

I apologize Curu, but I feel that overall it would be best to appoint a new Chief Justice in the hopes of getting the Citizens Assembly to allow everything to move forward. I hope that if Blackhole is appointed, he is not met with as much resistance as Curu was.

Curufinwe has shown himself to be a man of strong words and principles, but not as the best candidate for this office. That candidate is Black Hole.

An important task set before the Chief Justice is organizing the affairs of the court. Part of justice demands that all citizens be aware of the cases pending and the status of them. That needs to come from the Chief Justice, and that did not happen in Term 3. What little organization there was from Veera
Anlai summarizing the cases before the court.

Curufinwe also believes in a concept abhorent to me - that of the Judiciary "reading in" words to make new law. This flies directly in the face of our Constitution and traditions - that the Judiciary is there to resolve conflicts, and the Legislature is there to amend the laws.

I am also disappointed in the lack of leadership that Curufinwe has demonstrated as the current Chief Justice. Once the case against him was over, his lack of action on the remaining matters before the court was noticeable. This was a time where an active Chief Justice can encourage citizens to comment, and restore confidence in the Judiciary. That did not happen.

Black Hole has served in the Judiciary before, and has done an excellent job. I believe him to be the better candidate for this office.

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
Curufinwe has shown himself to be a man of strong words and principles, but not as the best candidate for this office. That candidate is Black Hole.

An important task set before the Chief Justice is organizing the affairs of the court. Part of justice demands that all citizens be aware of the cases pending and the status of them. That needs to come from the Chief Justice, and that did not happen in Term 3. What little organization there was from Veera
Anlai summarizing the cases before the court.

Curufinwe also believes in a concept abhorent to me - that of the Judiciary "reading in" words to make new law. This flies directly in the face of our Constitution and traditions - that the Judiciary is there to resolve conflicts, and the Legislature is there to amend the laws.

I am also disappointed in the lack of leadership that Curufinwe has demonstrated as the current Chief Justice. Once the case against him was over, his lack of action on the remaining matters before the court was noticeable. This was a time where an active Chief Justice can encourage citizens to comment, and restore confidence in the Judiciary. That did not happen.

Black Hole has served in the Judiciary before, and has done an excellent job. I believe him to be the better candidate for this office.

-- Ravensfire
Thank-You for the support ravensfire

Are there any final questions?

i vote for curufinwe. he got robbed of his chance to run the Judiciary last term, we should give him a chance to run the court because of that horrible debacle last term.

For lack of organisation, that is, of course, my fault. Given, however, the fact that for 2 weeks any action I would have done would have been condemned as illegitimate until I was cleared, and over the past few days I've been swamped with other things, I saw no point in wasting time making a clear and organised docket for cases that couldn't be decided. I intended to that when the matter was finished. However, due to reasons we are all familiar with, I feel that the last term was wasted, and we should do waht we can, and then pass of what we can't to next term,a nd then get things goin gon a fresh new start.

As for reading in and out words, I originally supported them since everything I've ever learned about law and justice required them, and so naturally assumed that, since they are vital judicial tools in the real world, ensuring justice overcomes the closed, legalistic interpretations of reactionaries, guaranteeing equality for women, for aboriginal people, etc. in my country, ensuring the freedom of all people, that they were normal. However, upon being told that the concept of parliamentary supremacy was what the DG is built on, I changed my mind, and was going to ask for the opinion of the people on the appropriateness of it within this context.

For all my failures, I am sorry, but I do believe that my actions were at all times correct, given the pressures and limitations upon me. Again, I ask the new court to take the undecided matters and decide them according to justice and the living spirit of the game.

Curufinwe said:
Given, however, the fact that for 2 weeks any action I would have done would have been condemned as illegitimate until I was cleared

Actually, there was one action which you could have taken that would have virtually guaranteed being elected to a 2nd term, and that would have been to step aside and appoint a pro-tem immediately for that fateful JR. I firmly believe having a pro-tem or not was the difference between being branded ineffective in the eyes of some citizens vs. acquiring legendary status as a CJ who put personal feelings aside for the good of the game.

I would like to say however that expecting someone who has been politically neutered to be organized and efficient is a bit of a stretch. It's not really possible to judge performance on so few opportunities to actually do something.

Dave, in RL politics I have learned to never do that. When dealing with a group of people where consensus is possible, you use consensus, and I am familiar with how to reach that (though I wouldn't say good, still rather inexperienced at chairing meetings). When, however, dealing with an issue in which there are sides which people are relatively unwilling to compromise on (though it may be possible, it's undesireable) then you stick to your side, and do so graciously, but courageously. Many has been the time where I've been outvoted by my colleagues in party politics, but I've maintained a principled stand and been admired for it. That's what I intend to do here, and I must say far more people encouraged me to do that then to do otherwise. Again, weighing all voices equally, I chose what tod o. Perhaps I chose wrong, perhaps I didn't, but that is behind us, and I intend on moving forward in solidarity to acheive justice.

DaveShack said:
Actually, there was one action which you could have taken that would have virtually guaranteed being elected to a 2nd term, and that would have been to step aside and appoint a pro-tem immediately for that fateful JR. I firmly believe having a pro-tem or not was the difference between being branded ineffective in the eyes of some citizens vs. acquiring legendary status as a CJ who put personal feelings aside for the good of the game.

I would like to say however that expecting someone who has been politically neutered to be organized and efficient is a bit of a stretch. It's not really possible to judge performance on so few opportunities to actually do something.

I admire him for doing exactly the opposite of what you have said. He didn't give in just so he could get elected. He has acheived legendary status for standing up against the tide of vetism. He stood for what was just and right, not what was "expected". His actions were approved by the citizienry.

He truly is a legend

Top Bottom