1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 4 Nominations for Governor of Styx

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Furiey, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

The Governor of Styx is responsible for the care, management, and use of the city and may also set up a civic government in any manner they see fit that does not conflict with Fanatikos laws.

The Governor is a member of the Senate which is responsible for choosing a President should an election cycle complete with no citizen elected as President, and for placing Fanatikos in a state of Mobilization. The Senate also has the power to declare War.

Please submit nominations for the Governor of Styx in this thread and Accept or Decline any nominations you may receive. Self nominations are allowed. Citizens may only run for one elected position.

Nominations will close and elections open 00:00 GMT on the 28 October (that’s 8pm EDT 27 October).

2. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

I nominate admiral-bell and vikingruler.

3. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

I thank greekguy for his nomination and accept.

4. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

The role of Styx in our rapid growth and development cannot be understated. Without the willing support of this fine city, Fanatikos would not be where it is.

Styx has been abley guided by DaveShack during Term 3, and he is as responsible as anyone for the enormous success of this term.

I nominate DaveShack to remain as Governor of Styx.

-- Ravensfire, President of Fanatikos

5. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I accept, with gratitude for Ravensfire's kind words. :D

I pledge the production capacity of this fine city after completion of the Sistine Chapel to whatever projects are required to allow those Fanatikan cities without a great wonder to have their chance at glory. As our other great cities have treated Styx, so shall the favor be returned!

6. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

Good luck DaveShack.:)

Here's my platform:

Styx, is a very important city. It has a very high production of 15 with a mere 2 shields wasted each turn. It also has the third highest commerce per turn at 37 with 4 gold wasted from the science funding. It gets 23 food per turn allowing it to grow to a size 12 and eventually beyond. Being one of our 2 costal cities, and closest to Japan and the other continent, Styx will provide the neccesary gallies and other units for exploration and possible warfare towards the second continent.

This leads me to say that Styx requires a strong governor who will take it to its fullest poteinetal. That person is me. I will employ a number of strategies to create a balanced build queue at peace times, but a specific one for war. For example, we are currently at peace. If elected and we are at peace cultural and town improvements will be the focus of my queue. In the next term will most likely aquire education and banking. This gives us to expensive improvements. I would build both of them because they are valuable before I build a knight. If we go to war that is different. If we are going to war with a foe stronger then us, my first action would be to stop current production or finish if it is 1-4 turns away(depends on situation) and build a hoplite for extra defense. I would then consult the Minister of Defense to get his opinion on what I should build as well as the citizens and plan accordingly. I would definitley change my build queue immideatley to the currently strongest unit.

Micromangement is not always something all governors do. I on the other hand will always do it. This would be affected by peace or war. During war we would need a higher production to build units so I would make sure production is maximized. Food would be the decreased the most because we don't need to worry about the size of our cities during war. Money is also important because we would need it to rush any neccesary improvements/units. During peace, the Styx would be more balanced. Also, a more consistent or never changing micromangment plan would be followed.

VOTE vikingruler GOVERNOR OF STYX TERM FOUR

7. admiral-bell

admiral-bell Chronic Lurker

I accept, with thanks to greekguy.

8. admiral-bell

my platform is simple. MORE democracy in running of the city. MORE shield production. MORE contribution to the Fanatikoi as a whole. And LESS giant, blue, bold, underlined, and capitalised phrases :D

Thank You,

Duke
    Admiral-Bell

9. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Candidates,

Currently, Styx has been chosen as our Sistine Chapel site. As that will dominate the early part of Term 4 for this city, my questions will revolve around it.

1) Do you feel, as Styx currently is, that it can complete the SC before any other civ?

2) If no, what would you request, as Governor, to change that answer?

3) It's 3 game sessions into Term 4, you've long since switched to the SC, and the dreaded "Babylonians have completed the Sistine Chapel!" has appeared, halting the game session immediately. Based on our current research path, what would you want to do with the shields in the Chapel?

Questions 1 and 2 are related to your ability to communicate with other leaders. Question 3 is planning.

Thanks!
    -- Ravensfire

10. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

I will gladly anwser your questions ravensfire:

1. Honestly no. No disrespect to DaveShack but Styx could be producing more then it is now. The pre build will greatly aid the completion of Sistine's Chapel but I believe the AI would beat us to it.

2. The current squares being worked provide a realative balance to Styx, commerce, food, and production wise. The commerce of Styx is not number one in our nation and we won't suffer if we decrease it a little. By just clicking the center square and setting the micro managment to the best the computer thinks, Styx's production increases by one with no decrease in food and a small one in money with no decrease in our gpt. That is only for now, if elected Styx will have changed most likely grown 2 or more citizens. I would work to make sure that each citizen is productive as possible. As for communicating with other governors, in the best interest of our nation and the security that the Sistines chapel will be completed, they would adjust their micromangmanging to increase commerce but lower food slightly. The higher commerce, the less a deficit if any our nation would go into because of Styx's tempoary lack of money. As for food, more citizens means a higher chance of revolt, meaning less money, no production, etc... as well as faster project completions. The quicker we build anything that has support costs the more money we lose. The less food the slower growth the one or two extra turn to finish SC.

3. It depends on what techs we have already aquired. Since their are no wonders to be built based on our research path i would have to pick either a University or a Bank. If I have the choice of either, I would definitley ask the citizens their opinion and based on that make a decision. If I had to say which one on the spot like in the TC and it wasn't stopped, University. Purely on the fact that with only five cities money isn't a giant problem but techs are really our only barganing chip to get money to pay civs off in trades. Techs are very valuable and a University will aid us greatly us. Also, with only 4 gold wasted per turn, a bank won't be as useful as a university. Of course a bank would be next in line for production.

11. admiral-bell

1. No, but with careful manegement it can

2.More mines and better citizen distribution

3. Whatever wonder is available. Wouldn't want to waste shields on a bank

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

1. At this time we don't know for sure whether Styx would definitely complete Sistene Chapel before other cities. That uncertainty can be alleviated with investigations of the cities already building wonders, which I see the President has already requested.

2. To keep all our cities productive we need continued flows of imported luxuries. This means continuing or renegotiating trade deals as they expire, and ensuring we don't get into any wars which would cut trade routes. If we can ensure the losing cities in the current wonder race can't switch to another wonder, then we maintain our prebuild as the production leader. This means not selling Chivalry and Theology.

To make Styx as productive as it can be, we need to assign workers to mining and roading three plains and a grassland. We can micromanage to maximize shield production, and join workers to speed population growth. To this end, I have already suggested to the Governor of Olympus that excess food in our capitol can be used to build workers which can improve Styx (and other cities) lands and then join the city.

3. If two of our neighbors are currently researching Invention, which odds suggest may be the case, then we will receive it from the Great Library, and Leo's will become available. Our current tech path direct to Democracy has no other wonders available, but depending on what the others do we might be able to trade for something.

Another response to this question is to not get into that situation to begin with. Printing Press will give us the ability to buy contacts with the other off-continent civs, and then we might be able to investigate their wonder cities (if any) to find out what kind of shape we're in. Nothing we can do about the opponent getting a SGL, but ordinary builds can be seen ahead of time.

We can hedge our bets a bit by not starting another palace prebuild right away, or by doing a double switch of other city off palace to most expensive other item, Styx off Sistene to palace. This should be a standing order as long as we're building a wonder which someone else could get.

13. admiral-bell

2. the goveroner has no control over trade deals

14. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

This Nomination Thread is now closed for nominations. Please continue any debates/discussions in the Election Thread

Thank You