1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 4 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of Democracy' started by Swissempire, Mar 26, 2006.

?

Who should be our term 4 President

Poll closed Mar 30, 2006.
  1. Strider

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Donovan Zoi

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

This is the thread for the term 4 presidential elections.

This terms candidates are:

Strider
    Donovan Zoi

2. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Well, originally I was unsure who to vote for, as my experience with the Demogame is extremely limited. After DZ’s comment about ‘getting the train back on track’ I must state I’m inclined away from him. I do not wish to vote for someone who appears to think less of the less experienced players, therefore my vote is for Strider.

I’m hoping DZ clarifies his statement.

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

My timing seems to impeccable, but it looks like the damage has been done. :(

First of all, I would like to state that it is never sound practice to make an important post when you are trying to leave the house for a day. My choice of words was unfortunate, and for that I apologize to all of you who call yourselves newcomers to this game.

My post was meant to be directed at the two of the three "newcomers" that had applied to the Judiciary this particular election cycle, and whose actions further clouded an already muddy debate on our laws. That I didn't make this clear from the start is a major blunder on my part. However, it would be a much greater blunder were we to elect a Chief Justice that thought it would be a sound idea to appoint Nobody as CJ pro tem for a case in Nobody was directly involved. Or to elect to the Judiciary a former Censor who hasn't a clue about the legality of closing polls he doesn't agree with.

Let's face it. We are going to have the same docket for Term 4 that we had for Term 3, plus whatever else comes along. Do we want to relive the same mistakes that we faced during this term? Do we want yet another term where the progress of the actual game plays a distant second to the innuendoes of our legal debates?

If that's what we want, then vote for those who have proven themselves to be inexperienced in our rules of law. Perhaps I am wrong to say that I'd prefer that we elect a Judiciary that will slam the door on many of these issues so that they don't fester for another 30 days. For that, I will take my lumps with humility.

I was really hoping for a debate on the actual savegame, and what we should do about the "big picture" issues, but it looks like I will spend this campaign backpeddling to clarify my unfortunate choice of words. I am actually hoping that a few of the newer players will vouch for my knack for championing new players that deserve the recognition. Until then, I'll take as many questions as you may have to prove that I am still worthy of your trust.

Once more, I truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

Respectfully Humbled,

Donovan Zoi
    Candidate for President

4. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Copied from the nomination thread:

Questions for the candidates:

1. Are you the type of person who is driven to finish things quickly, or do you prefer to let things simmer for a while?

2. Do you tend to finish most tasks?

3. In 20 words or less, what do you think negatively affects demogame participation the worst? Again in 20 words, what is the best positive affect on participation?

4. Which of the following contribute the most to lack of information? (multiple choice, please rank): RL pressures, officials who don't carry through, lack of leadership at the top level, citizens not asking enough / the right questions.

5. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Normally this election would be the hardest one to vote on. Two Candidates who i think can do the job well, Who i generally agree with, who are exerienced players.

But then someone comes and says something that makes the decision so much easiyer. Strider dosent have to campaign. Donovan Zoi starts telling people to vote against someone not for a specific reason, noooo simply to get the "train back on track" as crazy little saying to get the same judicary we always have had back in office. Not that he points out whats wrong with the rest. Simply "get the train back on track" no "this decision here shows XYZ is a better candidate" simply "Vote XYZ PUT THE TRAIN BACK ON TRACK."

DO you need to be from Demogame 1 for civilization 3 the first day to be experinced enough for you? Last time i really tried to get elected to the judicary was against the Traintrack poster boy Blackhole and i trashed him.

And you make it seem like the 3 of us (swiss, curfewin and myself) are trying to take over the Judicary just to hurt you and donsig. Oh it must be cause out of all of them i was the only one who ran for a Judical office last term.

What makes me so radical and antitrainmatic Was it Standing for election? Was it accepting Chieftess Nomination? was it resigning cause the trainboyz wouldnt let me stay the course? was it exercising my right to Judical Review? Was it having an oppion that was different to you and donsig?? what? what threw me off the track?

maybe the reason the train got thrown off the track was some citizens being to stringent on the application of the laws? OK first there was a Nomination and a appionted Chief Justice all was Calm, THE TRAIN CRASHED!!! We had to go through the application proce..THE TRAIN SMASHS AGAIN we need to redo the application process (3rd application not including election.) THEN CABOOM!! We had a comfirmation poll SSMMAASSHH!!! CRACKLE! POP! A CC is launched against the sitting Chief Justice because they didnt stand down.

Maybe the election,3 appiontments, 1 recall, and 1 criminal trial 3 Chief Justices! that slowed down the Judcial Review Process not me.

But i can make up sayings too, how about we vote for strider and put the show on the other foot.

VOTE STRIDER!! PUT THE SHOW BACK ON THE FOOT!!

6. robboo

robboo Deity

Thanks DZ for the honesty. Strider made a bigger blunder when he proclaimed that we should make more mistakes to liven up the game. Sorry thats not the type of leadership I want.

Despite what DZ said..VOTE DZ, he at least doesnt want to make mistakes.

7. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

These past few months have been, turbulent at best, for me. I've been caught constantly between moments of extreme boredom and intense excitement. I find myself at a lost at what to do with my life, but greatly disturbed because I don't want to change it.

I find my own situtation identical to ours in the Demogame. We are at a stage where it is time to move forward, yet, we are petrified at the thought of doing so. So we walk the longest days, to live the shortest nights? I will shy away from the specifics.

We try our hardest to perfect our explanations, always trying to take a step up before the others. I got myself together, only to watch everyone else fall apart. What is the purpose?! It is a game, nothing more nor less.

It is time to increase our partcipation and I have many ways to attempt doing so. The RPG is off of it's feet and moving. The Information Department is running. I also see quite a few new faces this term. My goals for last term, while not as far along as I had hoped, are progressing.

To put it simply, I can get the job done and I can do it correctly with little to no controversy. I can guarantee you that I can and will do the same here.

It is time to stop each department from just running along with their own duties and ignoring what the other officials are doing. If elected, I will coordinate between officials.

It is time to bring this game back into the hands of the citizens. Using my power as president I will halt a turnchat to bring important matters back to the citizens.

It is time to actually "define" a budget, rather than just let the gold go about anywhere. If elected, you will see a definite budget, with where the gold is going to and why.

The Tax sliders have a huge effect on the game and you will see discussion on what to do with them.

You will never see me post "Vote for me!" I am not running in this election to win, I am running in the hope that I will be given the chance to achieve my goals. I am not running because of the recent Judicial matters, nor do I really care about them. It is time to set an example, and if given the opportunity, I will set that example.

8. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

I fully support Donovan Zoi

9. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

When it comes to discussions, I prefer to let things simmer to the point that everyone has had their say --- while being well aware of our turn schedule, of course. When it comes to making appointments and things of that nature, I believe that I would be within my right to do so within 24 hours if a capable candidate applied for the job.

In all honesty, I do have some moments in the past when I have not executed my elected office to the fullest extent. However, for both times I was elected President, remained fully engaged for the entire term and I drove discussion on several key points to completion. I try to bring a "big picture" mentality to my role as President, and it is a duty to the people that I don't take lightly.

Worst: An already won game. People feel that there is no longer a need to contribute.

Best: More information from the ministries to keep new citizens interested and engaged.

As an aside, I'd like to state that I understand Strider's comment about "making some mistakes" to keep things intersting for a longer point in time. I just do not think we are anywhere near the point of winning the game yet, so we need to stay to the letter for quite a bit more time.

1. The first three
    4. The last one.

No matter what reason officials fall short of their duties, there is no question that it is happening. I lump the first three together because they have a tendency to be interchangeable: an increase in RL activities could result in a an official not carrying things through.

The blame should never go to the citizens. As we try to court their interest in this game, we must always ask ourselves: Would I know what the heck was going on here if this was my first visit?

10. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

In addition, I would like to state that my platform pretty much matches Strider's to the letter. For this reason, I believe that Licentia would be well-served with either candidate here. It's just a matter of who you would like to have carry out these duties.

However, one thing that Strider has not mentioned is his continued work on a complete CoL replacement. One of my first actions as President will be to run an informational poll to see if the citizens were more interested in fixing the holes in our current ruleset, or shoring up Strider's CoL for amendment later in Term 4.

Once again, my goal reflected by my comments of the past few days is consistent: making sure that our energies are focused on results, not distractions. And for the record, I have nothing against Strider's efforts for a new CoL, so long as we don't use all of our time on an unpassable amendment.

11. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

Ahh yes this one, interesting election, everyone not voting for you was threatened...

12. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Ive been away for a few days whats this statement that has been made by DZ about newcomers? it wont affect my vote am just curious.

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

It's right here, BCLG. Feel free to use this information as you must.

14. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Also take a look at post #3 of this thread for his public apology.

15. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Whoa, wait. Does that include the Information Department, RPG, mainpage reports, etc.?

I'd love to get some help on all of them, but there is alot of people (except for the RPG... I'm getting to much offers of help for it) who just don't want to voulanteer.

16. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    My Ballot would have to go for Strider

17. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Come on blackhole now that you look back you got to admit it was great fun.

18. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

You've come a long way, zoi.

I 'member way back when, when our President-elect would take his shinebox down to Tony's and work the businessmen for a buck apiece.

Little Zoi Spitspine, we'd call 'im. Make your shoes look like mirrors.....

19. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

You've been away a long time, 'Zini. Perhaps they didn't tell you.

I don't shine shoes no more. :cooool:

20. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

My vote is for Strider, as he has been helping the DG. He is committed. He started up the RPG even when nobody beleived in him, he made the information department, HE is trying to fix us, he is helping us when we are down.

Whereas Donovan Zoi walked in with his Donovan Zoi walk, sat down in his Donovan Zoi chair, cracked his Donovan Zoi fingers with that Dononvan Zoi crack, and said in his Donovan Zoi voice "Ya, i'll help you, i fix you. I'll do the whole strider thing". Strider has been helping us, he cares. We should reward loyalty, not disrespect it.

Plus, in a dream last night, Chip revealed to me a wonderful golden metropolis, with lots of beautiful women and men, and said "All this can be yours if you vote for Strider and Swissempire".