Term 5 Foreign Affairs Ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
This thread should be used for contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Minister of Foreign Affairs: eyrei
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: donsig

Congratulations to both eyrei and donsig! I will definitely appreciate the use of lower case letters in this thread. :) I look forward in anticipation to both of your opinions.

I would like to propose a system of cyclical agression where we are permanently on a war footing. Cyclical agression calls for a semi-permanent war against a fairly distant foe. We maintain alliances against this foe to keep our neighbors friendly. We then go alone against our true objective in short term wars with defined objectives. Once our objectives are achieved, we make peace and declare war on the next target.

Originally posted by Shaitan
I would like to propose a system of cyclical agression where we are permanently on a war footing. Cyclical agression calls for a semi-permanent war against a fairly distant foe. We maintain alliances against this foe to keep our neighbors friendly. We then go alone against our true objective in short term wars with defined objectives. Once our objectives are achieved, we make peace and declare war on the next target.

Well, the first part of this is already in effect. As far as short term wars against another target, I also agree. Russia and/or America would be that next target.

I think Cyc brings up a great point in your poll on this matter. A short-term "surgical" strike (I'm not sure what that means exactly as we don't have the means to perform surgery yet ;)) against Russia to secure the lands nearest our FP would likely require only a little preparation. Also, this war could end relatively quickly with an extortion of some valuable technologies. All the while, we could be building up our offensive forces for an eventual invasion of America to the east.

eyrei
Congrats again to you and your staff. I look forward to working with you again this term.

I'd like you to set some quantifiable goals for this term and post them in the opening post so that we can evaluate our progress as the term progresses.

For example... Do we still need to establish any embassies? What relationships should we strive for with which nations? Should we strive for any long term agreements (RoP, etc.) with any nations? ...and so on...

I appreciate your attention to this matter.

My goal is the same as it has been since the beginning of the game: fight wars only with those we wish to fight them with. Any relations with other nations are established only to provide a benefit to us, with no sentimental values attached. They are all our enemies...

Embassies are expensive, and we have them with all civs within striking range of our borders, so I see no further need to establish them until we actually need to use them. In fact, the only civ we do not have an embassy with is Greece, and they are furthest from us.

I consider the civs to our south and west the most dangerous to us, and do not wish to unilaterally go to war with any of them. One ally will mean that most likely our side will have more civs than the opposition once the alliances start.

Here is some useful info about our relationships to the other civs:

1. Only the Persians, Zulus and Russians are monarchies. The rest are republics. Greece is in anarchy.

2. The military strengths of Babylon, Persia and China are equal to our own. Our military is larger than all the others.

3. The Russians have a military alliance with China against Persia. They also have a RoP.

4. Our alliance with India against the Persians can be cancelled any time.

5. We have a RoP with the Iroquois. It can be cancelled at any time, though our relations would suffer (they are already cautious).

6. The Babylonians are disdainful of our culture.

7. The Babylonians have RoPs with everyone to the west and south of us. They also have trade agreements with the Iroquois, Russians, and Chinese as well as with us.

8. The Persians are unwilling to part with anything of value for a peace treaty.

9. The Babylonians are willing to sign an alliance against Persia...this could be used to keep them out of a war with Russia.

10. We have an alliance against Persia with the Indians that can be cancelled at any time.

11. The Russians have only 18 gold in their treasury...this is not much to buy alliances with.

12. We will be renegotiating the Chinese alliance against the Persians in 2 turns.

13. The Iroquois have neither trade agreements, alliances or an RoP with the Russians. They could probably be bribed into a war with them.

It is the opinion of the Minister of Foreign Affairs that any declaration of war against the Russians, Babylonians, Chinese, Indians or Iroquois should be accompanied by at least one alliance with one of the other civs in that group.

It is also the opinion of the Minister of Foreign Affairs that the Russians are the best target out of this group of civs for a declaration of war, as it will be easiest to turn their other neighbors against them.

Excellent post, eyrei. That's the kind of post I enjoy reading. It's like a good copy of the DFZ, filled with useful, timely information. :goodjob:

attention governor/department leader.

If you need something rushed, or upgraded please post so in the budget thread located here . Check to see how much it costs then post the amount and the reason it needs to be rushed, or upgraded.

Thanks

Hammurabi is willing to enter into an RoP as well as an alliance against Persia. An RoP with Babylon would be very valuable were we to strike Russia in the near future.

Russia is also willing to give us their WM and 3g for our WM. This is another deal that would benefit us were we to attack Russia soon.

We can investigate Osaka for 80g, Rostov for 55g and Minsk for 136g. Again, this would help were we to target Russia soon.

Does the FA Minister support any of these initiatives?

Originally posted by donsig
Hammurabi is willing to enter into an RoP as well as an alliance against Persia. An RoP with Babylon would be very valuable were we to strike Russia in the near future.

Russia is also willing to give us their WM and 3g for our WM. This is another deal that would benefit us were we to attack Russia soon.

We can investigate Osaka for 80g, Rostov for 55g and Minsk for 136g. Again, this would help were we to target Russia soon.

Does the FA Minister support any of these initiatives?

I support the first two, but I do not wish to tax our treasurey by investigating cities. If we attack them with overwhelming force, we should be fine.

Pardon me for wandering into the forum -- although it seems to have been held in a lovely public place. I've been exploring this wondrous realm and was looking for a government job. Nothing with a fancy title, but just something useful for a wandering Ragpicker and Explorer of Cultures. I am too unfamiliar with the country to run for office.

I would agree with the Honorable Minister on the lack of justification for great expense on investigating cities at this point. Or has the collapse of the southern frontier changed the terms of the discussion.

Feodor
(just signed in, haven't found the current map yet.)

Originally posted by Feodor Ardent
Pardon me for wandering into the forum -- although it seems to have been held in a lovely public place. I've been exploring this wondrous realm and was looking for a government job. Nothing with a fancy title, but just something useful for a wandering Ragpicker and Explorer of Cultures. I am too unfamiliar with the country to run for office.

I would agree with the Honorable Minister on the lack of justification for great expense on investigating cities at this point. Or has the collapse of the southern frontier changed the terms of the discussion.

Feodor
(just signed in, haven't found the current map yet.)

You could start by asking one of the governors for a position as mayor, or simply participate in the disucussions in the citizens forum, which is probably the best way to get involved.

Am I still the ambassador to Apolytonia? Or did someone else take the job after I left?

Originally posted by Zarn
Am I still the ambassador to Apolytonia? Or did someone else take the job after I left?

As far as I know, you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom