Term 5 Military Department: Victoria Victrix

Peri

Vote early and vote often
Military Leader: Peri
Military Deputy: CivGeneral

Term 4 Military Thread

Please post any comments or questions you may have on the nation's security and defence.

I would like to welcome CivGeneral to the team and offer my congratulations to all those who were elected to office this term. :goodjob:

In AD1705 our armed forces consist of:

17 Tanks
30 Cavalry
114 Infantry
21 Legions
2 Warriors

20 Artillery

4 Battleship
5 Destroyer
1 Ironclad
1 Caravel

In AD1705

Our armed forces are stronger than the:

Americans
Greeks
English
Chinese
Japanese
Russians
Aztecs

Our armed forces are about the same size as the:

Babylonians
Persians
Germans

The Noldodan Perimeter

Plans are in progress to give all our frontier cities 2 muskets in garrison.
By the end of the next Turn chat, the first phase of this line will have been completed stretching from Iron Hills in Aventine all the way to Cold Harbour in Quirinal.

AD1575. This perimeter is being upgraded to include infantry.

Phase 1

Phase 1 (Full Size - 366kb)

Phase 2

Phase 2 (Full Size 225kb)

This phase should be completed by the end of the next TC

Phase 3

Phase 3 (Full Size 104kb)

This is the final phase. When this is complete there will be 2 infantry in every border and coastal city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Quirinal Squadron

I think it would be sensible to have a small naval squadron to patrol the sea between Quirinal and the Aztecs. Therefore I shall begin petitioning to this effect. A discussion will be opened in the forum.
This change in heart regarding naval policy is due to the imminent arrival of the technology to build battleships and destroyers which are effective naval vessels.
I suggest a force of 2 battleships and 4 destroyers.

So what are your plans and/ or goals for the military department now that you are elected to it's highest office?

In addition to maintaining the security and defence of Fanatica there are a number of other areas that are of concern to me.

City Defences.

I would like to see each city with two Cat A units in garrison.
Aventine is currently producing muskets in quantity. When the thread goes up for this term, I shall make representations to Governor Noldodan to keep up productions of muskets.
I have also been knocked back in Term 4 to have more spearmen upgraded but I shall request funds from the Domestic Leader for this purpose.

Mobile Reserve.

This is crucial to our defence and I hope to add 10 more units to its strength over the coming Term if there is support.

TFR

It is also vital that each city is served by the railway to enable the rapid movement of troops around Fanatica. The effect of this is that in the event of attack we will be able to bring superior force to bear against our enemy.

Navy

Although the building of some navy units may be seen as desirable, it is important to remember that ironclads will become obsolete soon and cannot be upgraded.

War.

At the moment there are no plans for a war of conquest. Any such war at the moment would not provide sufficient returns.

I hope this answers your questions. :)

First Congratulations!

now on to business

Originally posted by Peri

Navy

Although the building of some navy units may be seen as desirable, it is important to remember that ironclads will become obsolete soon and cannot be upgraded.

This is rather vague, would you prefer there to be just limited production of Iron clads (just a couple) or None at all?

Thank you.
Firstly we must examine if there is a need for a navy at the moment. If yes then we decide on how many to produce.

While we are at peace and still in the Early Industrial period I am reluctant to support the building of a navy. The ironclads will become obsolete and are not able to be upgraded. that is the major stumbling block for me.
If you press me for a number then I suggest we build no more than 4 ironclads but that is only if we can identify a need in the first place. :)

Congratulations on your ascent to the top spot, Peri. Fanatica will now certainly continue the path forged by the great General Falcon. :)

Now, regarding some of the thoughts in this thread:

1. I would like to see no more than 3-4 Ironclads produced at this time, if only to patrol the seas between the four countries to our west and north(Persia, Babylon, China, Russia). While these are not upgradeable, I would still like to see some sort of naval presence so that we don't have to play total catch-up later.

2. Speaking of Ironclads, did you know that there is a Persian Ironclad within our borders near Iron Hills? I wouldn't think anything of it for now, but this is precisely the reason why we should have at least a small Coast Guard.

3. Please lend your thoughts to my 3 Turns of 0% Science? thread. Supporting this plan will free up the necessary gold to upgrade more foot soldiers. If we can pull this off, then hopefully we can have Aventine tone down on the Musket production.

Respectfully,

Donovan Zoi
Domestic Leader

My apologies. I thought I had posted my support. I shall see to it at once.

No the apologies come from me. :) After posting here, I then found that you had already commented in the thread. Kind of like letters passing in the mail, no doubt. ;)

Updated Military Strengths and Current Military Plans

Peri,

As a precaution, could you begin development of prelimary plans to deal with the foriegn incursions? I don't see that happening, especially with Germany having only one military unit (with a large target symbol on his chest!) visible to us.

If Germany or Greece completely loose their senses, I plan to continue the chat barring a military force making an unexpected presence, or a large military alliance forms against us.

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire, President of Fanatica

Mr. President

Well the presence of that German unit does indicate that war is imminent. At the moment I am considering our response. I am working out whether it will be best to screen the north with cavalry or just to protect our workers there.
There is minimal chance of the Germans having a strong force in the north. The main threat will be the loss of luxuries from trade that a war might bring.
If the Germans seek an alliance with one of our continental neighbours that will make things more interesting. However at the moment we are strong enough to resist an attack. A war with Germany is likely to be naval and since we don't have a navy there should be very few actual engagements.
I would urge however that the re arming and trainng programme is accelerated so that we no longer have obslolete spearmen.
Also that the railway is completed with the same urgency.

Regards

My Lord General,

I have a question regarding your instructions for the next chat. In the section referring to Musketmen movements, you refer to three that are in the field near Quirnial. Do you instead refer to the three Cavarly units currently on patrol there? These units are just outside of Skunkworks.

My thanks!
-- Ravensfire, President of Fanatica

Mr. President,

There are indeed 3 muskets men en route in our southern province.

Regards

My apologies - I missed them completely the first time around. Musketmen found and will be directed!

The following posts have been updated:

The Military Strength Of Fanatica
The Military Strength Of Our Neighbours
Current Military Plans

The following posts have been updated:

The Military Strength Of Fanatica
The Military Strength Of Our Neighbours
Current Military Plans

After being Governor for a Term I now have a better understanding of the link between the Military Dept. and the Governors who provide the troops.

As such, I now realize that the Governor's can't read the Military Leader's mind.... ( hey I knew what I wanted when I was Military leader, and the Governors seemed to provide everything in great quanitity ;) )

What I would like to ask of you is that you make a list, in order of priority (if neccisary a note to how much a difference in priority) of all the types of units you would like to be built.

ie.
Infantry
Artillery (about same extent as infantry)
Ironclads (build some if you want to, but keep it to a minimum for now)
etc...

Top Bottom