1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 6 Election: Warlord

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Democracy Game II' started by dutchfire, Jul 27, 2007.

?

Who will be our new Warlord?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2007.
  1. Joe Harker

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Provolution

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

Please vote for the person you feel would make the best Warlord for this term.

The candidates are Joe Harker and Provolution, they can post their platforms here, and citizens are encouraged to post questions to the candidates.
    Nomination thread

The citizen receiving the most votes at the conclusion of the election poll is deemed the winner of that election. In the event that more than one citizen is tied for the most votes, a runoff election poll, listing all citizen's tied for the most votes, will be conducted. This poll will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 2 days. This process will be repeated until one citizen receives the most votes. The election cycle will conclude at the end of the final election poll.

2. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Please look at the nomination thread before you decide, we have a debate in there

3. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Seems I am to lose anyways, but that is also ok.

4. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

I am voting provolution because he is the lesser of the two criminals :p

(jokes, two great choices)

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Voted for Provolution.

6. Provolution

I cede the position to Joe Harker, and hereby withdraw from the race (even though it is close).

7. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Why? There's always a chance you realize.

8. Provolution

I could tell on the DP poll where this is going. Besides, Joe Harker deserves a chance to play some.

9. Joe Harker

Provolution, You only need 60% of the vote in the DP poll, which you are on, and it would be extremly unfair and unlucky if you didn't get in, plus you are only one vote behind me at the moment, so two quick votes in your favour, could make you the warlord!

10. Provolution

Its all ok. It is a game after all. Yet, fairness and luck has very little to do with it. Politics and privileges does.

The technology poll points in this direction, as they call for Democracy and head for military tradition. Astronomy is put on hold for some time is quite obvious. For the strategy, it is also clear that there is a bigger interest for a cavalry army, than a late infantry army. This is some how some of these players always played their games, and they would like that to continue.

Also, I had some problems with a couple of the citizens here, which became apparent in the DP poll as well. I am not complaining, merely stating the political realities. There are about 5-6 citizens that disagrees with my motions and general conduct, and whatever is done, for the slightest reason, there is moves to personal attacks. This is particularly seen in polling debates and the very trial against you is an end-product of the campaign against me. The many smirk remarks is more or less self-explanatory. I admit having been loud and boisterous, and that can be found offending to particular kinds of people.
    On the other hand, participation is higher now, so the provocation worked some.

You know that the German Longbowman poll was made to show me a lesson and not how to make good polls or to make a clever and well researched move. This was all a display of disaffection to my handling of "citizen input". Notice how a couple of seasoned demogamers singled me out, not the strategy itself.
    To that I can say, I gave more options than I took away, compared to the past.

Complaints about renaming units, reallocation of units, polling standards varying by the poller, German Longbowmen polls and trials, political correctness, curious demands for "modest behavior" and timid language, and several other factors also play in. I just see someone that brings Civ3 DG V against me, and that is also reducing the game experience for the ones of you new to the game. I am not seeing the same amount of aggressive and one-sided verbal policing in the Model Parliament, and would rather have more fun there. I am tired of political opponents flexing their unique privileges at me. Citizen input may sometimes be good, but all with "moderation".

Another aspect is Combat Mission Shock Force, which I waited for in 3 years.

So, all in all, you are better off for the demogame Joe Harker, and good luck.

11. dutchfire

I'm sorry to see you go Provolution, especially as you're only currently 1 vote behind Joe Harker.

Is this your definitive decision?

12. Provolution

Thank you Dutchfire

Yes, I wanted to run against Joe in order to get a good discussion about the next term, as I felt I had something to contribute with. Joe would be a fine warlord, and we share many strategic viewpoints as seen in the discussion.

I think he would also be more recipient to citizen input than I was, regardless of the quality of research backing it up, more than I do.

I am certain that if I sent around a couple of PMs, things could work out different, but some change in the demogame powerstructure is good, and I think being warlord this term is more important to him than to me.

To be running for one more term, I would have to see Astronomy winning the main poll, somewhat stronger general support for the Infantry Army above Cavalry Army, another composition of the Judiciary (I cannot fight the poll-war much longer, this is possibly the biggest reason) and moreso, the interpretation of rules have been either too bizarre or too one-sided this term.
    I would compare this legal system to that of Roy Bean in El Paso, Texas.

And in you, Dutchfire, I have found another political force that sometimes interplays nicely with my initiatives and sometimes contests it, making for a good and interesting demogame. At least you research your visions well and argue you for them, which I do like. I really liked how the Civics-things worked out, and I learned well on the Pyramid move, which in retrospect was brilliant and the Mercantilism stunt, which was good.

Yet, the German Longbowman Process, which at best was Kafkaesque, initiated my term, and ended it. The group that pushed for that move still scorns me for trying to overrule them, which affected the DP Poll.
    I would fairly say that my term has been polarizing, some liked it a lot, some disliked it a lot, which is fair, you cannot appeal to everyone.

Even with 55 % support, I would still like Joe Harker to take over.

13. dutchfire

Congratulations to Joe Harker

14. Joe Harker

15. Provolution

Congratulations buddy :)

Get me astronomy and put me in a navy uniform :) I am done with the landcrabs.