1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terminal Velocity: The Moonage Daydream

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Immaculate, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Yes. Please send orders for this turn if u can.

2. christopher_sni

christopher_sni Prince

TO: JOSHI.DAMAYANTI@FEDNET.COM

Dear Dama,
    I have returned home. The tiltrotor shuttle from Denver landed at the airport and my parents were waiting for me. Mom and dad look the same, so happy that I am home. Craig hugs me tightly as mom blesses me. As we head to the car I look over the airport and the people waiting at the gates. Already the end of the war has had an effect on people and the businesses. The shops are full of new stock; the rationing signs have been removed although the ones discouraging waste remain. People have new clothes and you can smell new paint. Mom and dad borrowed the neighbor’s car since it has more room but they plan to buy a new one later in the year.

The trip from the airport to home takes an half hour but the view is much different than when I enlisted. Lubbock at that time was shrinking and down to two hundred thousand since the Ogallala was depleted. Except for the hospitals and Texas Tech the economy was dependent on cotton and the loss of the water curtailed that. Now I see construction everywhere of new houses and businesses. When I ask mom and dad about this they say they are refugees from the parts of Texas occupied by the republicans and the Mexicans. The city has almost doubled in size in the last five years and had to cope with the demands on city services. Even with the aid from the feds. Now with reconstruction there is talk about filling the gaps but they are still waiting.

My parents moved from Dallas to Lubbock when I was three after my maternal grandmother died. Dad was born and grew up here before heading to Dallas. Mom was born in Nigeria and married my dad in 2014. She wanted away from Dallas and somewhere closer to nature since her family were farmers back home. Craig was born in 21 and my folks opened their corner store that same year. When I was released from the service they wanted me to help run the family business.
    I am home, but so much has changed.
    -Kiran

3. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I should say I am at a conference out of country. I am working on the update but am not as advanced as I had wanted. Apologies for the wait.

4. christopher_sni

christopher_sni Prince

Dear Dama,
    Sorry for the late response, things have been busy around here. About a day after I arrived my family and friends had a welcome home party for me. It was wonderful seeing everyone, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends of the family. Several of the neighbors came by, the new neighbors I mean. The last several days I noticed was that there were very few Latinos around. Friends and neighbors I went to High School had moved away. Not just my friends but their entire families, hell, generations of people. When I ask about this people avert their eyes and just say they moved away to Mexico or Republican territory. Later that night Dad told me that many Latinos were asked to leave during the war because of ‘disloyalty’. I realized what that meant from my days in the service.

My parents finally purchased a new car for the shop to make deliveries, especially to some of the older people in the neighborhood with health problems. While Craig mans the shop I do the driving. There are neighborhoods where you see houses that have burnt down and are being cleared, was it the war or something else? Many people in the neighborhood do not recognize me since it has been several years since High School and enlistment. I have started to look for a church to attend. While I was not very religious before the war it provided me some stability and connection to home during the war. I have started to look for a place of my own near the shop, preferably walking distance. Competition however is fierce.

Will talk to you later.
    -Kiran

5. christopher_sni

christopher_sni Prince

From America Today: National Police Service to be created 05-JUN-2045

With the coming of peace the transition from war time law enforcement to civilian law enforcement has been slow due to the reallocation of resources and the movement of people. The problems of long borders with multiple countries, the heritage of the 2036 coup and the rising incidences of smuggling and cross border terrorism have forced the creation of the National Police Service. The NPS will be under the Department of Justice and will handle border patrol, crime prevention, investigation, and detection, collection of intelligence, VIP security, counter-terrorism, border policing, policing the ports, smuggling, drug trafficking, economic offences, corruption, bio-diversity and protection of environmental laws. It will be headed by Michael Everill, a twenty year veteran of the Naval Criminal Investigation Service. NPS officers are to be recruited from State Police and the military that can pass the rigorous Civil Services Examination.

State and local police will have the same areas of responsibility as pre-war and will be looking for candidates from the military and law enforcement. The Department of Justice will provide resources for states to rebuild their police forces along with logistics and intelligence support from now on.

6. christopher_sni

christopher_sni Prince

Dear Dama,
    I now have a place of my own! One of the regulars to the store mentioned that her daughter got married and was moving out to her husband’s place and gave me the contact information. So about a week ago I called the apartment building and had my name put on the list. I inspected the place (one bedroom/bath/700 square feet) three days ago and filled out the paperwork. Today I started moving things from the parent’s place to here. I already set up the ultilities and am sitting on the floor writing you.

Yes I know it may be small compared to your place but compared to the one bedroom with the parents or a military barracks it is a palace. Mom is already helping with items for decoration and we will be visiting the thrift stores tomorrow. It is a little farther away from church put there is a bus stop less than ten minutes from here. It is a little odd being somewhere quiet that is not outside.
    Mom and dad are talking about opening a third shop and having me run the place. What are your thoughts? Part of me does not feel like being a shopkeeper but after the last ten years peace sounds wonderful. I will be looking into police service since I was in the Military Police, I may take the Exam to see if I qualify. Talk to you tomorrow.

-Kiran

7. christopher_sni

christopher_sni Prince

What is the status of the Orders/Update?

8. Blaze Injun

Blaze Injun Night Radio KYSE

Hey,

Immaculate is on a secret mission in a forest somewhere in Korea. :hide:

Blaze Injun